Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - August (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24214)

bluidkiti 08-01-2021 05:33 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - August

August 1

Prayer to Do Good

Lord
If this day I have done or said anything to increase the pain of the world.
Pardon the unkind word, the impatient gesture, the hard and selfish deed, the failure to show sympathy and kindly help where I had the opportunity, but missed it; and enable me so to live that I may daily do something to lessen the tide of human sorrow, and add to the sum of human happiness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcohol is our weakness.

We suffer from mental conflicts from which we look for escape by drowning our problems in drink. We try through drink to push away from the realities of life. But alcohol does not feed, alcohol does not build, it only borrows from the future and it ultimately destroys. We try to drown our feelings in order to escape life's realities, little realizing or caring that in continued drinking we are only multiplying our problems.

So ............

Have I got control over my unstable emotions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Expressing Gratitude

How can we express gratitude when we feel it?
We can begin by simply using the proper forms of courtesy at all times; this reminds us that we can't live without other people. The best way to express gratitude, however, is to "pass on" the good that has come to us. This is more effective when we share ideas and experiences that have helped us on the way to self-improvement.

It's also a good idea to dismiss thoughts and statements that are forms of prideful boasting. Even telling people how hard we've worked for the 12 Step program can detract from our gratitude. And never, under any circumstances, should we put others under obligation to us. I'll discover ways to express my gratitude today. I'll know that my best way of doing it is to pass on good ideas to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rewards

The rewards of sobriety are bountiful and as progressive as the disease they counteract. Certainly among these rewards for me are the release from the prison of uniqueness, and the realization that participation in the AA way of life is a blessing and a privilege beyond estimate -- a blessing to live a life free from the pain and degradation of drinking and filled with the joy of useful, sober living, and a privilege to grow in sobriety one day at a time and bring the message of hope as it was brought to me.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 451

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I will seek direction and strength from God while moving toward my goals today." ~ Jack Casey

bluidkiti 08-02-2021 04:01 AM

August 2

Prayer to End Anxiety

God,
I feel hopeless. Give me the strength to banish anxiety from my heart.
Help me find a place where my mind can rest easy and appreciate and enjoy today without fretting.
I can’t banish the stranglehold of anxiety on my own, but I know and trust You will help me overcome.
With you all things are possible. Help me free my heart and mind.
Amen

~ Kristy H.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must know the nature of our weakness before we can determine how to deal with it.

When we are honest about its presence, we may discover that it might even be imaginary and can be overcome by a change of thinking. We admit that we are alcoholics and we would be foolish if we refused to accept our handicap and do something about it. So by honestly facing our weakness and keeping ever present the knowledge that, for us, alcoholism is a disease with which we are afflicted, we can take the necessary steps to arrest it.

So ............

Have I fully accepted my weaknesses?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spirituality

Spirituality is a creative and positive energy that forever seeks new ways to improve and heal itself. Spirituality is never satisfied with mediocrity. God is alive in musicians, writers, singers and prophets -- and always the standard of "excellence" is searched for; best can be made better!

As an alcoholic I often settled for convenience, "no sweat", mediocrity. My motto was "Why bother? It can be done tomorrow." I had low energy. Addiction robs the human being of God's productive energy.

In recovery I seek the best because I believe I am the best; God made me -- and I respect His choice!

Lord, save me from the "comfortable way" that makes no demands on me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now

Now is the time, the only time there is.
And if we are not kind to ourselves right now, we certainly cannot rightfully expect respect or consideration from others.
We have found we can enjoy, sober, every good thing we enjoyed while drinking -- and many, many more.
It takes a little practice, but the rewards more than make up for the effort. . . Unless we cherish our own recovery, we cannot survive to become unselfish, ethical, and socially responsible people.

Living Sober Page 42

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” ~ Kahlil Gibran

bluidkiti 08-03-2021 05:05 AM

August 3

Forgiving Others Prayer

Lord, please help me to remember the power of forgiveness, and please help me to extend this to others.
I know what it means to forgive, and I know all of the things you have forgiven me for.
Despite my feelings about them, please help me to remember that, like me, You love this person and care about his/her well-being.
Please help me to find love in my heart as well and to move past what was said and done.
Please help me to forgive them and to move past this.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am glad to be a part of A.A., of that great fellowship that is spreading all over the world.

I am only one of the many A.A.'s, but I am one. I am grateful to be living at this time, when I can help A.A. to grow, when it needs me to put my shoulder to the wheel and help keep the movement going. I am glad to be able to be useful, to have a reason for living, a purpose in life. I want to lose my life in this great cause and so find it again.

So ............

Am I grateful to be an A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Growth

Just as when we were children and grew out of our favorite toys and clothes, we sometimes grow out of things as adults - people, jobs, and homes. This can be confusing. We may wonder why someone or something that was so special and important to us last year doesn't fit the same way in our life today. We may wonder why our feelings have changed.

When we were children, we may have tried to fit an outgrown article of clothing on to our body. Now, as adults, we may go through a time of trying to force fit attitudes that we have outgrown. We may need to do this to give ourselves time to realize the truth. What worked last year, what was so important and special to us in times past, doesn't work anymore because we've changed. We've grown.

We can accept this as a valid and important part of recovery. We can let ourselves go through experimentation and grief as we struggle to make something fit, trying to figure out if indeed it no longer fits, and why. We can explore our feelings and thoughts around what has happened.
Then, we can put last year's toys away and make room for the new.

I will let last year's toys be what they were: last year's toys. I will remember them with fondness for the part they played in my life. Then, I will put them away and make room for the new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Material Well-Being

Although financial recovery is on the way for many of us, we find we cannot place money first. For us, material well-being always follows spiritual progress; it never precedes.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 127

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you." ~ Lewis B. Smedes

bluidkiti 08-04-2021 03:30 AM

August 4

Prayer for Worry and Anxiety

Lord,
Sometimes I feel I can not face today, it is hard to keep going with such anxious thoughts running through my mind.
I ask for your peace to flood my being, that each moment I would surrender these worries, fears and anxieties to you.
I ask for your presence to walk with me through each part of my day, that I would not feel alone but know that I am loved.
And I ask for your strength to wake me each morning and keep me going. May I trust in you to see me through, lead me to calmer seas, balance and rest in heart, mind, body and soul.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Living a sober life.

If you can take your troubles as they come, if you can maintain your calm and composure amid pressing duties and unending engagements, if you can rise above the distressing and disturbing circumstances in which you are set down, you have discovered a priceless secret of daily living. Even if you are forced to go through life weighed down by some inescapable misfortune or handicap and yet live each day as it comes with poise and peace of mind, you have succeeded where most people have failed. You have wrought a greater achievement than a person who rules a nation.

So ............

Have I achieved poise and peace of mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Struggling to Control

We try and try to control the events of our lives. And not seldom the events in others' lives, too. The occasions are frequent when our will conflicts with God's. Then for a time we feel at a loss. Our direction is uncertain. But always, always, another door opens. A better way beckons. How stubborn we are! And how simple life would be were we to daily, fully, turn our will and our lives over to the care of God. God's help and direction in all things are always available. Turning a deaf ear is like trying to find a seat in a darkened movie theater unaided by the usher.

Every experience is softened when we face it accompanied by our higher power. Any past struggle, any present fear, is a testament to our attempts to do it alone. Too frequently we forge ahead, alone, only to have our way blocked. The detours need never be there. No door closes unless there is a better way. Divine order will prevail.

There is no need to struggle today. I will breathe deeply and take my higher power with me, wherever I go. And the doors will be open for as far as I can see.

“Often God shuts a door in our face, and then subsequently opens the door through which we need to go.” ~ Catherine Marshall

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith

To go along with this deep-seated belief in God, I have developed an enormous faith in God. He is good. My understanding is that everything He sends my way is for my benefit. But the growth of this understanding has taken time, as well as a relinquishing of my resistance to change. I needed the trials and tribulations I have had, so that I could surrender and give up self. Only in complete acceptance of the utter defeat of my pride and ego could I begin to win.

Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, Pages 86-87

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I will try to raise, rather than lower, someone’s self-esteem." ~ Homer Pyle

bluidkiti 08-05-2021 04:19 AM

August 5

Living This Day Prayer

God, please come and be with me in my circumstances. Fill my thoughts with Your thoughts and Your wisdom. Please come and act on my behalf. Show me what to do and give me the power and strength to take responsibility where I can but let go of the rest and lay down the burden. Fill my heart with courage to act and to do the next right thing.

Please help me to change the things I can change, and leave the things I cannot change in Your care. Help me to seek first your kingdom and your righteousness as I live one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Life is basically and fundamentally an inner attitude.

Just try to remember what troubled you most a week ago. You probably will find it difficult to remember. Why then should you unduly worry or fret over the problems that arise today? Your attitude toward them can be changed by putting yourself and your problems in God's hands and trusting Him to see that everything will turn out all right, provided you are trying to do the right thing. Your changed mental attitude toward your problems relieves you of their burden and you can face them without fear.

So ............

Has my mental attitude changed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Awakening

Many of us remember back to a vague time in childhood when our world seemed right and we were full of enthusiasm. Somehow, somewhere along the way, we lost that feeling of rightness and security.

For some of us who experience a spiritual awakening through the A.A. program, childhood faith is rediscovered and takes on new meaning. We may have lost sight of our real selves and abandoned our original faith in a Higher Power. When we have a spiritual awakening as a result of the Twelve Steps, everything falls into place, and what was lost is recovered, plus much more.

This spiritual awakening continues as we continue to work the program. It gives new meaning to our present lives and new hope for the future. We see that spiritual growth is "where it's at" and that nothing else will satisfy our needs and our longing.

May I continue to awaken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coping With Anger

Few people have been more victimized by resentments than have we alcoholics. A burst of temper could spoil a day, and a well-nursed grudge could make us miserably ineffective. Nor were we ever skillful in separating justified from unjustified anger. As we saw it, our wrath was always justified. Anger, that occasional luxury of more balanced people, could keep us on an emotional jag indefinitely. These "dry benders' often led straight to the bottle.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 91

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day absorb all your interest, energy and enthusiasm. The best preparation for tomorrow is to live today superbly well." ~ William Osler

bluidkiti 08-06-2021 04:33 AM

August 5

Prayer When Confused

Lord,
I come before you today with my mind swirling with different thoughts and feelings. I have a hard decision to make and I just don't know what to do. I feel helpless and confused. I'm worried about the consequences to my decision. I worry about the impact my decision will have not only on myself but on others as well. To be honest, I fear making the wrong decision. I need your assistance making sure the decision I arrive at conforms to your will.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous involves a continuous striving for improvement.

There can be no long resting period. We must try to work at it all the time. We must continually keep in mind that it is a program not to be measured in years, because we never fully reach our goals nor are we ever cured. Our alcoholism is only kept in abeyance by daily living of the program. It is a timeless program in every sense. We live it day by day, or more precisely, moment by moment - now.

So ............

Am I always striving for improvement?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Kindness

Kindness is among the gifts we can most easily spread among others. The more we give of kind words and deeds, the more we discover that kindness is like a burning candle which lights many other candles without losing a trace of its own brightness. Our kindnesses are assets, which return unexpected dividends when we invest them in the happiness of others. Kindness is the very basis of love. It softens the most severe anger and gladdens the hardest hearts.

No kindness is too small to win and hold the affection of others because it is made up of gentleness, love, generosity, unselfishness, and caring.

What kindness do I have to offer today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meditation

Aided by such instruction and example as we can find, it is essentially an individual adventure, something which each one of us works out in his own way.
But its object is always the same: to improve our conscious contact with God, with His grace, wisdom, and love. And let's always remember that meditation is in reality intensely practical. One of the first fruits is emotional balance.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 101-102

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

" I need to face life and not run from it." ~ Leo Booth

bluidkiti 08-07-2021 03:17 AM

August 7

Requesting Help Prayer

Lord,
I come to you for strength—strength of body, strength of mind and strength of soul.
I come to you for wisdom—wisdom to know what I should do, wisdom to choose the course that means growth and understanding.
I come to you for courage—courage to face every experience, courage to stand strong and firm in the midst of situations that require much of me.
I come to you for serenity—serenity of heart and spirit. Bless me with your untroubled Spirit of peace.
Thank you, Lord, for listening to my plea.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Living in the Present.

Alcoholics are unable or unwilling, during their addiction to alcohol, to live in the present. The result is that they live in a constant state of remorse and fear because of their unholy past and its morbid attraction, or the uncertain future and its vague forebodings. So the only real hope for the alcoholic is to face the present. Now is the time. Now it is ours. The past is beyond recall. The future is as uncertain as life itself. Only now belongs to us.

So ............

Am I living in the now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Finding Humor

For years I used to take myself too seriously. I thought that everything depended upon my thoughts, actions and decisions. Life was a series of agendas that had to be met; life was too serious to be joked about. I knew that I was not God, but I took responsibility for the whole universe. I had opinions on everything and everybody and I was, of course, always right.

As the years passed it grew painful being so responsible -- my control produced stress, tension and loneliness. Then a friend said to me, "Let go and let God." I began to detach and laugh at my insane behavior. I laughed more as I began to accept my humanness. I discovered spirituality in the joke. God must have a sense of humor -- after all, He made me.

"The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken seriously." ~ Nicholas Murray Butler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We Cannot Stand Still

How many of us would presume to declare, "Well, I'm sober and I'm happy. What more can I want, or do? I'm fine the way I am." We know that the price of such self-satisfaction is an inevitable backslide, punctuated at some point by a very rude awakening. We have to grow or else deteriorate. For us, the status quo can only be today, never for tomorrow. Change we must; we cannot stand still.

As Bill Sees It Page 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Instead of wishing things would change, I'm asking God for His strength to make a change.” ~ Lysa TerKeurst

bluidkiti 08-08-2021 03:22 AM

August 8

For Today Prayer

God,
Give me strength to live another day;
Let me not turn coward before its difficulties or prove recreant to its duties;
Let me not lose faith in other people;
Keep me sweet and sound of heart, in spite of ingratitude, treachery, or meanness;
Preserve me from minding little stings or giving them;
Help me to keep my heart clean, and to live so honestly and fearlessly that no outward failure can dishearten me or take away the joy of conscious integrity;
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see good in all things;
Grant me this day some new vision of thy truth;
Inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness.
Amen

(from: Episcopal Church's Revised Common Lectionary)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Change using the 12 Steps of A.A.

In following the A.A. program with its twelve steps, we have the advantage of a better understanding of our problems. Day after day our sobriety results in the formation of new habits, normal habits. As each twenty-four hour period ends, we find that the business of staying sober is a much less trying and fearsome ordeal than it seemed in the beginning.

So ............

Do I find it easier as I go along?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Understanding Why

For years I tried to understand my behavior around alcohol and I only came away more confused. Sometimes my efforts to understand led me into dishonesty and manipulation. I drank because I was lonely, angry, happy, overworked or because I had problems with life. You see, I tried to understand "why"!

Science has no definitive answer as to why some people are alcoholic other than to postulate the disease factor, with the emphasized advice, "Don't pick up the first drink." So today I don't understand why I am an alcoholic. I also believe that I can never drink alcohol without having alcohol problems. This cherished belief keeps me sober and gives me a God I can understand; a life that I can love; and a world I can live in.

Oh yes -- and I can remember where I have been today!

Help me to believe in what I know and to be content with the imperfection of my knowledge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenges

There is no easier, softer way.
To bring the great escape act into sobriety is to travel with a companion that led me to despair long ago.
The teaching I receive in Alcoholics Anonymous about courage and love helps me to continue to grapple with the challenges of life as they are given to me, one day at a time.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 3], Page 320

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Opposition is a natural part of life. Just as we develop our physical muscles through overcoming opposition - such as lifting weights - we develop our character muscles by overcoming challenges and adversity." ~ Stephen Covey

bluidkiti 08-09-2021 03:57 AM

August 9

Prayer of Trust

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road, though I may seem to be lost in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We found friendship in the fellowship.

In the association with members of the A.A. group to which we belong, we have the advantage of sincere friendship and understanding of the other members who, through social and personal contact, take us away from our old haunts and environments and help to remove in large measure the occasions of alcoholic suggestion. We find in this association a sympathy and a willingness on the part of most members to do everything in their power to help us.

So ............

Do I appreciate the wonderful fellowship of A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Honesty

We were told at our first AA meeting that half-measures will avail us nothing. What's needed is a sincere desire to stop drinking and seek a way of life.

As we continue in the program, we learn that sincerity is an ingredient for success in everything we do. Quite often, we may find that we're failing in something simply because our heart isn't really in it. We can't force ourselves into a sincere posture. Instead, the answer is to know ourselves well enough to know just how we feel about everything we do.

We'll learn to be careful about attempting to do something when our heart is not really in it. We may be doing something we dislike merely for the recognition and money it gives us. For real sincerity, we need more than that, and the truths of the program will help us find it.

I'll be conscious today of the sincerity I have about the things I am attempting to do. There may be some things I need to abandon or at least change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walk the Walk

A.A.'s often say, 'Our leaders do not drive by mandate; they lead by example.' If we would favorably affect others, we ourselves need to practice what we preach--and forget the 'preaching,' too. The quiet good example speaks for itself.

As Bill Sees It Page 183

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If there is anything we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could be better changed in ourselves.” ~ Carl Jung

bluidkiti 08-10-2021 03:33 AM

August 10

Morning Prayer

Lord, thank You for this day.
I ask that You guide my path today.
More specifically, my thoughts, words and actions.
Please be with me throughout the day and help me navigate whatever comes my way.
Most importantly, help me to reflect and live out your will.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In the beginning of Alcoholics Anonymous there were only two people.

Now there are many groups and millions of members. But there are probably millions of others who need our help. More and more people are making a start in A.A. each day. In the case of individual members, the beginning has been accomplished when they admit they are powerless and turn to a Power greater than themselves, admitting that their lives have become unmanageable. That Higher Power works for good in all things and helps us to accomplish much in individual growth and in the growth of A.A. groups.

So ............

Am I doing my part in helping A.A. to grow?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Achievements

Even the continuous sobriety we're enjoying is no shield from traps we seem to set for ourselves. At times, we can find ourselves in the foolish game of continuing to fight battles we've won or lost.

One losing battle is the attempt to win the approval of someone who has always disliked us. That person may be gone, but we still fight....and lose..... the same battle when we find ourselves in a similar situation.

We also may have won some battles without knowing it. This can happen when we've set our goals unrealistically high. We may be fairly successful in our work, for example, but still feel that we have failed because a high goal we set eluded us. That goal, however, may have been all but impossible to attain, and while we mourn our perceived failure, we ignore the successes we may have achieved in the meantime. Consequently, we should never let any of these battles interfere with our plan for sobriety. We must stay sober at all costs.

I'll not strive to impress people who may always disapprove of me. I will also accept my successes even if they fall short of my highest dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice

Like so many, I do not always surrender completely; I allow the cares and worries of the day to distort my thinking.
But as soon as I get back on the right track, I realize I have everything I need.
Whatever problems confront me, large or small, they can be solved wisely. Or they can be solved my way. The choice is mine.

Came To Believe Page 60

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"There is no investment you'll ever make which will pay you so well as the effort to scatter sunshine and good cheer wherever you are." ~ John Quincy

bluidkiti 08-11-2021 03:07 AM

August 11

Worry Prayer

Lord, it’s so easy to fall into worry.
When my fears are reverberating in my mind, help me stop trying to fix everything myself.
Teach me to turn to You in prayer, trust You to be in charge and let Your peace reign over me.
Amen.

~ Francine Rivers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In Alcoholics Anonymous there is no thought of individual profit.

No greed or gain. No membership fees, no dues. Only voluntary contributions of our money and ourselves. All that we hope for is sobriety and regeneration, so that we can live normal, respectable lives and can be recognized by others as men and women willing to do unto others as we would be done by. These things we accomplish by the help of each other, by following the twelve steps and by the grace of God.

So ............

Am I willing to work for A.A. without material gain to myself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Progress

One guiding factor in 12 Step groups is the sharing of experience and knowledge. The fact that a few people seem especially gifted as speakers and workers doesn't relieve us of the need for every person's participation.

Such group efforts are important to all human progress. For every outstanding person, there are hundreds who contribute to the success of any venture.

What we bring to the group is our experience as well as a strong commitment to the group's purpose. This makes our meetings warm, interesting, and helpful. The group can always be such a center if its members really are part of it.

I'll remind myself today that I can draw strength from the group and also make it stronger with my participation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gratitude

I try to hold fast to the truth that a full and thankful heart cannot entertain great conceits.
When brimming with gratitude, one's heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love, the finest emotion we can ever know.

As Bill Sees It Page 37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.
~ Unknown Author

bluidkiti 08-12-2021 04:18 AM

August 12

Prayer to Cast-Out Cares

Lord, it seems that so much in my life is broken.
I have so many concerns and cares, and they weigh me down.
While I desire to cast my cares upon You, I find I usually pick them back up again, and they only add more anxiety and stress.
Please help me learn to cast my cares on You as I learn what it means to rest and trust in You.
Amen.

~ Chrystal Evans Hurst

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Until we came into A.A. most of us had tried desperately to stop drinking.

We were filled with the delusion that we could drink like our friends. We tried time and again to take it or leave it, but we could do neither. We always lapsed into ceaseless, unhappy drinking. Wives or husbands, families, friends, and employers threw up their hands in hurt bewilderment, in despair, and finally in disgust. We wanted to stop. We realized that every reason for drinking was only a crazy excuse.

So ............

Have I given up every excuse for drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Forgiveness

So much of what I resent in others springs from my unhappiness with self. I hate in others what I know to be in myself: arrogance, pride, narrow-mindedness, snobbery and dishonesty.

Today I am learning that as long as I refuse to forgive others, I am not capable of forgiving myself. Part of my denial is reflected in my attitudes towards others. Those character traits I refuse to forgive in others are buried within myself. I know that without forgiveness there is no freedom -- and I wish to grow in freedom.

Today I am learning the difference between forgiveness and acceptance. I can forgive other people without accepting their lifestyle. I can forgive myself and still see the need for change. In my forgiveness is the hope for tomorrow.

Without forgiveness, there can be no pure love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simplicity

A willingness to do whatever I was told to do simplified the program for me. Study the AA book - don't just read it. They told me to go to meetings, and I still do at every available opportunity, whether I am at home or in some other city. Attending meetings has never been a chore for me. Nor have I attended them with a feeling of just doing my duty. Meetings are both relaxing and refreshing to me after a hard day. They said 'Get active," so I helped whenever I could, and still do.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, Page 381

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Love casts out fear; but conversely fear casts out love. And not only love. Fear also casts out intelligence, casts out goodness, casts out all thought of beauty and truth." ~ Aldous Huxley

bluidkiti 08-13-2021 03:42 AM

August 13

Enjoying Life Prayer

Lord,
I believe that everything is possible. I love life.
I appreciate life. I am enthusiastic about life. I am thankful for life.
Every phase of my life is fascinating and interesting to me.
Every day brings new ideas, new discoveries, new revelations, and new involvements.
There is no part of my life without purpose, and without meaning.
Everyday is a new opportunity to enjoy more of life in a multitude of ways.
Thank You for giving me so many reasons to smile.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We tried to study our alcoholic problem, wondering what was the cause of our strange obsession.

Many of us took special treatments, hospitalization, even confinement in institutions. In every case, the relief was only temporary. We tried through crazy excuses to convince ourselves that we knew why we drank, but we went on regardless. Finally drinking had gone far beyond even a habit. We had become alcoholics, men and women who had been destroying themselves against their own will.

So ............

Am I completely free from my alcoholic obsession?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

View Point

Getting mad at someone, a friend perhaps, is normal. Everybody gets mad sometimes. But when we stay mad for very long, it ruins all the fun we'd planned on having throughout the day. Staying mad multiplies. Sometimes it seems we are mad at the dog, our mom, and another friend, even the TV.

Forgiving the people we're mad at works like magic. We don't even have to forgive them out loud. We can forgive them in our own minds. The result is the same. Pretty soon the whole day looks bright again. When we're mad, we are the ones who suffer most.

Who can I forgive today, and make my day a better one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unmanageability

All the laws that are at work in the world are going to make every life unmanageable to one degree or another from time to time. But for the alcoholic there is not only an additional danger, but also an additional opportunity.
AA offers us a program of recovery from our past feelings about the unmanageability of life, a program that put life's unmanageability into perspective. That's more than most of the rest of the people in the world have going for them when they find their lives have become unmanageable.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 2], Page 58

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The desire to stop suffering is not the same thing as the desire to stop the behavior we are doing which causes us to suffer.” ~ Dr. James Golden

bluidkiti 08-14-2021 03:58 AM

August 14

When I Arise Prayer

Lord, thank you for another day to live.
And once again, I’m here asking for your help.
Help me with everything that I’ve got to do today.
Also with things that will come up that I’m not even going to know about.
I ask you for grace, mercy, guidance and protection.
I ask the same for my family and all those around me.
Amen

~ Susan Roulenski

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We had become hopelessly sick people, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

The power that controlled us was greater than ourselves - it was Alcohol. Many drinkers have said: "I hadn't gone that far; I hadn't lost my job on account of drinking; I still had my family; I managed to keep out of jail. True, I drank too much sometimes and I guess I managed to make quite an ass of myself when I did, but I still thought I could control my drinking. I didn't really believe that I was “an alcoholic."

So ............

If I was one of these, have I fully changed my mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting Help

Often in the past, we acted like we didn't need anyone. It takes courage to let others help us.
As we get better, our courage grows. We invite people into our lives. We help others, and we let others help us.

We will learn to let others help us if we work our program. Why? Because we need others to stay sober. When we have a problem, we talk about it in our group. When we need a shoulder to cry on, we call a friend or our sponsor. Over time, our relationships become one of the biggest rewards of recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ready?

We shall need to make a brand new venture into open-mindedness.
We shall need to raise our eyes toward perfection, and be ready to walk in that direction.
It will seldom matter how haltingly we walk. The only question will be "Are we ready?”

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 68

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Accepting help is its own kind of strength" ~ Kiera Cass

bluidkiti 08-15-2021 04:40 AM

August 15

Prayer For Inner Peace

Oh Lord, sometimes my insides feel like a battle zone, where missiles are falling too close to home. Other times I’m caught in an endless storm, with thoughts flying out of control. Confusion reigns, and defeat creeps in to steal my joy. I need your peace-the deep-down-in-your-heart kind that stays with me day and night and speaks confidently into the wind. Calm my anxious spirit, Lord; all the attacking “if-onlys” and “what-ifs” fill me with needless worry.

I surrender and admit: I can’t control people, plans, or even all my circumstances, but I can yield those things to you, and focus on your goodness. Thank you today for every good gift you’ve given, every blessing you’ve sent, all the forgiveness I did not deserve, and, yes, for every trial you’ve allowed into my life. You bring good out of every circumstance if I’ll only let go and believe you. I know that when I pray and give thanks instead of worrying, you have promised that I can experience the kind of peace that passes all understanding. That’s your kind of peace, Lord. And it’s the kind I crave.

~ Mel Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A.A. members will tell you that they can look back and clearly see that they were out of control.

Every one of us has gone through that stage when we wouldn't admit that we were alcoholics. It takes a lot of punishment to convince us, but one thing is certain. We all know from actual experience that when it comes to dishing out punishment, Alcohol has no equal.

So ............

Have I any reservations as to my status as an alcoholic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Go With The Flow

Let go of fear and your need to control. Relinquish anxiety. Let it slip away, as you dive into the river of the present moment, the river of your life, your place in the universe. Stop trying to force the direction. Try not to swim against the current, unless it is necessary for your survival. If you've been clinging to a branch at the riverside, let go.

Let yourself move forward. Let yourself be moved forward.
Avoid the rapids when possible. If you can't, stay relaxed. Staying relaxed can take your safely through fierce currents. If you go under for a moment, allow yourself to surface naturally. You will.

Appreciate the beauty of the scenery, as it is. See things with freshness, with newness. You shall never pass by today's scenery again!
Don't think too hard about things. The flow is meant to be experienced. Within it, care for yourself. You are part of the flow, an important part. Work with the flow. Work within the flow. Thrashing about isn't necessary. Let the flow help you care for yourself. Let it help you set boundaries, make decisions, and get you where you need to be when it is time. You can trust the flow, and your part in it.

Today, I will go with the flow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Life

Is sobriety all that we are to expect of a spiritual awakening? No, sobriety is only a bare beginning; it is only the first gift of the first awakening. If more gifts are to be received, our awakening has to go on. As it does go on, we find that bit by bit we can discard the old life--the one that did not work--for a new life that can and does work under any conditions whatever.

Regardless of worldly success or failure, regardless of pain or joy, regardless of sickness or health or even of death itself, a new life of endless possibilities can be lived if we are willing to continue our awakening, through the practice of A.A.'s Twelve Steps.

As Bill Sees It Page 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." ~ John Wesley

bluidkiti 08-16-2021 03:26 AM

August 16

Prayer For Stress In The Family

Lord, there is such a lot of stress in our family and I just pray that it would simply stop. It seems that never a day goes past without someone getting stressed out, and we are all getting so weary and worn out.

Please help our family, to get on with each other and I do pray that the build up of stress and tension would stop, and that we start to live with each other in the way that You meant families to live.

Lord, I love my family and I know that it is not good for any of us to be in this constant state of pressure and nervous tension. Give me wisdom, I pray, to know how to deal with this in the future and to know what to do and to say, or what not to say, to help the rest of the family release their stress, so that we may learn to live together in harmony.

Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, most of us had no real faith in anything.

We may have said that we believe in God, but we didn't act as though we did. We never honestly asked God to help us and we never really accepted His help. To us, faith looked like helplessness. But when we came into A.A., we began to have faith in God. And we found out that faith gave us the strength we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is strength in faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Finding Courage

Fear, a universal human emotion, strikes each of us in different ways. The brave parachute jumper may be afraid of public speaking, and the brilliant orator may have a fear of flying. An alcoholic's drinking is partly an attempt to cope with the feelings of fear. The recovering person, now having no drug, must face fear by using the tools of the program. The sober way to deal with fear is to admit that one has fears, to discuss them with a sponsor or another understanding person, and to seek the help of one's Higher Power in living with fear or having it removed.

When we share our experience with fear, we hear different kinds of stories. One person may declare that fear was completely removed by prayer. Another person, who prayed with what seemed to be the same degree of sincerity, may still be troubled by occasional fears. We cannot know exactly how the program will help each person cope with fear, but we can be confident that it will work for all of us. We have met fear successfully when we continue to stay sober and meet our responsibilities in all sorts of threatening situations.

I will not let fear keep me from any good thing today. My Higher Power can see me through any difficult or threatening situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peace of Mind

AA has taught me that I will have peace of mind in exact proportion to the peace of mind I bring into the lives of other people, and it has taught me the true meaning of the admonition "happy are ye who know these things and do them." For the only problems I have now are those I create when I break out in a rash of self-will.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 550-551

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.” ~ Unknown A.A.

bluidkiti 08-17-2021 03:43 AM

August 17

Gratitude Prayer for Happiness

Thank you, Lord, for all of your blessings in my life.
Thank you for surrounding me with wonderful friends, family members, and neighbors.
Thank you for giving us the gift of your beautiful world and all the skies, mountains, and lakes.
Thank you for the thrill of celebrations and the enrichment of music.
Thank you for all of the animals and creatures that you made.
When I am down or depressed, please remind me of all of the many reasons why I should be thankful and guide my spirit toward your happiness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We in Alcoholics Anonymous do not enter into theological discussions.

But in carrying our message we attempt to explain the simple "how" of the spiritual life. How faith in a Higher Power can help you to overcome loneliness, fear, and anxiety. How it can help you get along with other people. How it can make it possible for you to rise above pain, sorrow, and despondency. How it can help you to overcome your desires for the things that destroy you.

So ............

Have I reached a simple, effective faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Foolish Risks

Maintaining the New Way
There are only a few practices that really must be considered unacceptable for recovering people. AA even concedes, for example, that there's nothing wrong with having lunch with a friend in a bar if one's house is in order.

Under no circumstances, however, should recovering people do anything that puts their sobriety at risk. The stakes are TOO HIGH. Recovery is too precious. The new life is too important.

What practices might come under the heading of risk? A dangerous one, common among young and old alcoholics alike, is returning to the old crowd that's still drinking. It's risky to associate with our former drinking lifestyles, and we'll recognize this if we're working on our program.

Part of the honesty I'll practice today is knowing my own motives for everything I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ego

I am still arrogant, egocentric, self-righteous, with no humility, even phony at times, but I'm trying to be a better person and help my fellowman.
Guess I'll never be a saint, but whatever I am, I want to be sober and in AA.
The word "alcoholic" does not turn me off any more; in fact, it is music to my ears when it applies to me.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 382

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I Will Remember: The Steps are a road, not a resting place." ~ Danielle Steel

bluidkiti 08-18-2021 04:14 AM

August 18

Grace For Today Prayer

Lord, give me the grace for today.
Before me, the day looms with great possibilities and even greater challenges.
I put it all in your hands.
Order my day and order my life.
Help me to embrace every challenge, to be open to all you have to give and to see all as opportunity.
One moment at a time. One person at a time. One gift at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, most of us never thought of helping others.

We liked to buy drinks for people, because that made us feel like big shots. But we only used others for our own pleasure. To really go out and try to help somebody who needed help never occurred to us. To us, helping others looked like a sucker's game. But when we came into A.A., we began to try to help others. And we found out that helping others made us happy and also helped us to stay sober.

So ............

Have I learned that there is happiness in helping others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Growth in Change

Part of my understanding of spirituality is that I will change. I will change my mind, my attitude and my opinion. My understanding of sobriety is that I will grow, grow in an understanding of myself, grow in an understanding of God's will for me, and grow in an understanding of other people. Today I am not afraid to change my thinking about life.

During my years as an alcoholic I was fixed and rigid about everything. I saw it as weakness to change my mind and opinions. Now I understand that I was afraid of change, afraid not to have an answer, afraid not to be seen as being "in charge".

I learned how to understand spirituality as reality; seeing things as they are, rather than how I wanted them to be. I began to accept that life is about change and that truth is a process that we evolve towards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrying the Message

The wonderful energy the Twelfth Step releases, by which it carries our message to the next suffering alcoholic and finally translates the Twelve Steps into action upon all our affairs, is the payoff, the magnificent reality of A.A.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.” ~ Pauline R. Kezer

bluidkiti 08-19-2021 03:33 AM

August 19

Prayer Against Depression

Lord,
Please strengthen our hearts, and remind us to encourage one another when the troubles of life start to overwhelm us.
Please guard our hearts from sadness and depression.
Give us the strength to rise up each day and fight against the struggles which seek to weigh us down.
Amen

~ John Barnett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Let us live today, as we believe God wants us to live.

Each day will have a new pattern, which we cannot foresee. But we can open each day with a quiet period in which we say a little prayer, asking God to help us through the day. Personal contact with God, as we understand Him, will from day to day bring us nearer to an understanding of His will for us. At the close of the day, we offer Him thanks for another day of sobriety. A full, constructive day has been lived and we are grateful.

So ............

Am I asking God each day for strength and thanking Him each night?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Pessimism

“If you keep on saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.” ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Many of us have the habit of taking a negative outlook on whatever comes along. We don't believe things will work out for us; we don't think we will have a good day; we can't accept our friends' warm feelings. To follow this gloomy path is a strange distortion of faith - it is faith in the negative. Any forecast, whether hopeful or pessimistic, is a step into the unknown. So why do we choose the dark one?

We get a payoff for our pessimism, which keeps us hooked. It creates misery, but serves our demand for control. There is more risk in being open to something positive because we cannot force positive things to occur. We can only be open to them and believe in the possibility. But when we predict the negative and expect only bad things, we squelch many good things or overlook them. Then we say, "I knew it would be this way," and in our misery we satisfy our self-centered craving to be in charge. When we surrender our need to be in control, we are more open and welcoming of the good things that come our way. I will be open to the good that is around me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anonymity

It should be a privilege, even the right, of each member or group to handle anonymity as they wish. .
Each individual will have to decide where he ought to draw the line -- how far he ought to carry the principle in his own affairs, how far he may go in dropping his own anonymity without injury to Alcoholics Anonymous as a whole.

The Language of the Heart Page 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Just a Quote

"If one asks for success and prepares for failure, he will get the situation he has prepared for." ~ Florence Shinn

bluidkiti 08-20-2021 04:25 AM

August 20

Prayer for Strength

Lord,
At the moment, I’m struggling with life.
My heart is weighed down with anxiety, frustration, anger and doubt.
Please help me turn this over to you.
I can’t fix it. I want to trust you to handle it.
Give me the strength to let go and accept the outcome, whatever it may be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, we were living an unnatural life physically and mentally.

We were punishing our bodies by loading them with alcohol. We didn't eat enough and we ate the wrong things. We didn't get enough sleep or the right kind of rest. We were ruining ourselves physically. We had an alcoholic obsession and we couldn't imagine life without alcohol. We kept imagining all kinds of crazy things about ourselves and about other people. We were ruining ourselves mentally.

So ............

Since I came into A.A., am I getting better physically and mentally?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Dignity

I believe that ultimately, I can only be responsible for myself. It is impossible for me to live another person's life. It is disrespectful to assume the role of decision-maker for another adult human being. People must have the freedom to grow and be themselves. Dignity is affording people this freedom.

Today I can see how I continued to keep members of my family sick by taking on a responsibility that was not mine. I can see how I was not giving dignity to my family; I was unintentionally withholding dignity from those I loved. People, especially family members, must be given the freedom to express their hurts. They have a responsibility to deal with their pain -- because it is theirs!

I should give to others the dignity I desire in my own life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shared Gift

A.A. is more than a set of principles; it is a society of alcoholics in action. We must carry the message, else we ourselves can wither and those who haven't been given the truth may die.

As Bill Sees It Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Our stories hold unique inspiration for one another.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita

“Happiness is not so much in having as sharing. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” ~ Norman MacEwen

bluidkiti 08-21-2021 04:57 AM

August 21

Prayer for Guidance

Dear Lord,
I can not see the way ahead and at the moment I feel so confused.
So today I ask that your hand would be upon mine.
Please lead me safely through this day.
Guide my heart, my mind and body to navigate the way.
I put my trust in you.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One of the best things about the A.A. program is the peace of mind and serenity that it can bring us.

In our drinking days, we had no peace of mind or serenity. We had the exact opposite, a kind of turmoil and that "quiet desperation" we knew so well. The turmoil of our drinking days was caused partly by our physical suffering, the terrible hangovers, the cold sweats, the shakes and the jitters. But it was caused even more by our mental suffering, the loneliness, the feeling of inferiority, the lying, and the remorse that every alcoholic understands.

So ............

Have I achieved more peace of mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Responsibility

I believe the greatest insight into my life is that I am responsible; my responsibility is an important and dignified gift from God. My responsibility reveals my involvement in God's creation, in my life and my recovery from alcoholism. Greatness is in the choices I make, and the choices come with God's gift of freedom. Human beings are more than puppets on a string or automated machines. We are creative creatures who carry the burden and joy of responsibility.

Along with the acceptance of my alcoholism I also accepted the responsibility to remain sober in my decisions and lifestyle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Six Step Program

“He Sold Himself Short”

But he found that there was a Higher Power which had more faith in him than he had in himself. Thus, A.A. was born in Chicago. The day before I was due to go back to Chicago, a Wednesday and Dr. Bob's afternoon off, he had me down to the office and we spent three or four hours formally going through the Six-Step program as it was at that time. The six steps were:
1. Complete deflation.
2. Dependence and guidance from a Higher Power.
3. Moral Inventory.
4. Confession.
5. Restitution.
6. Continued work with other alcoholics.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If you take responsibility and blame yourself, you have the power to change things. But if you put responsibility on someone else, then you are giving them the power to decide your fate.” ~ Deja 'Joy' King

bluidkiti 08-22-2021 03:29 AM

August 22

Good Morning Lord

Good morning Lord!
Today’s a new day, a chance for a new start.
Yesterday is gone and with it any regrets, mistakes or failures I may have experienced.
It’s a good day to be glad and give thanks, and I do, Lord.
Thank you for today, a new opportunity to love, give, and be all that you want me to be.
Amen

~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. program is a way of life.

It's a way of living and we have to learn to live the program if we're going to stay sober. The twelve steps in the book are like guideposts. They point the direction in which we have to go. But each member of the group has to find his own best way of living the program. We don't all do it exactly alike. Whether by quiet times in the morning, meetings, working with others, or spreading the word, we have to learn to live the program.

So ............

Has A.A. become my regular, natural way of living?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

"Later"

How often have we said this? This trick helps us avoid the tasks of the day. Life is full of tasks--many fun, some boring, others hard. Can I accept the task my Higher Power gives me, easy or hard?

When we used alcohol, we'd avoid tasks, if they became hard for us. We believed we had more control than we really did. We started to believe we could control outcomes. What we really were doing was setting ourselves up for a great fall. We had to face the fact that when our Higher Power had given us a task, we said no, and turned away. Thus, we turned away from the guiding hand of our Higher Power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Complacency

Following the principles laid out in the Big Book has not always been comfortable, nor will I claim perfection.
I have yet to find a place in the Big Book that says, "Now that you have completed the Steps; have a nice life." The program is a plan for a lifetime of daily living. There have been occasions when the temptation to slack off has won. I view each of these as learning opportunities.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 317

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Complacency is the deadly enemy of spiritual progress. The contented soul is the stagnant soul.” ~ Aiden Wilson Tozer

bluidkiti 08-23-2021 04:49 AM

August 23

Prayer For Happiness

Lord,
Help me to awake with hope,
To engage with life in all its variety,
To take in the beauty of others joys,
To touch the souls of those I meet with thankfulness.

Thank you for the amazing jigsaw of life!
What a beautiful picture is made when I place all these pieces together!

Help me to indulge in love
To breathe in the sweetness of intimacy,
To taste the kindness of friendship,
To feel the warmth of embrace.

Free to make my life into a glorious patchwork of thanksgiving
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We can believe that God has a purpose for our lives.

Things will eventually work out as long as we try to live the way we believe He wants us to live. It has been said that we should "wear the world like a loose garment." That means that nothing should seriously upset us because we have a deep, abiding faith that God will always take care of us. To us that means not to be too upset by the surface wrongness of things, but to feel deeply secure in the fundamental goodness and purpose in the universe.

So ............

Do I feel deeply secure?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Mature Living

Being in error now and then is part of our human existence. Many of us, however, feel unbearable self-reproach when we make a mistake. Some compulsive people even blame themselves for errors beyond their control.

But the worst mistake is the refusal, or denial, of responsibility for mistakes. This comes from a strange belief that we can erase the mistake by refusing to accept it. It may stem from the belief that we should be above mistakes. This is immature thinking.

We are learning and growing when we accept our mistakes graciously and immediately move to correct them. Most of the time, when this is done, the distress passes quickly and we can go on to other matters.

I'll take full responsibility for all of my actions today, and I'll move quickly to correct any of my mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Fears in Recovery

These are some of most common fears for people in recovery:

The fear that life will not be enjoyable again (particularly prominent during early sobriety)
Staying sober will require too much effort
Fear of journeying into unknown territory
Fear of facing life challenges without a chemical crutch
Fear of failure or, alternately, success
Financial concerns
Career concerns
Relationships concerns
Fear of death
Fear of ill-health
Fear of loss of a loved one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” ~ Joseph Campbell

bluidkiti 08-24-2021 04:38 AM

August 24

Prayer for Daily Protection

Dear Lord,
Please heal and protect us today from all negativity, hurt, resentment, and evil.
Please help us to avoid selfishness and please help our relationship to grow and strengthen together.
Please help us with all the decisions we need to make in the future and please help us to make these decisions according to your will.
Please protect us from harm.
Please protect us from sickness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Have I admitted I am an alcoholic?
Have I swallowed my pride and admitted I was different from other drinkers? Have I accepted the fact that I must spend the rest of my life without alcohol? Have I had any more reservations, any idea in the back of my mind that some day I'll be able to drink safely? Am I absolutely honest with myself and with other people? Have I taken an inventory of myself and admitted the wrong I have done? Have I come clean with my friends? Have I tried to make it up to them for the way I have treated them?

So ............

Am I trying to put the 12 Steps into my life daily??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Negativity

For many years I considered myself a complete failure. For years I wallowed on my pity-pot until it became too painful. Whatever the "pay-off" was in the previous years had dried up, and I was left with a rock bottom pain that forced me to consider the alternative: I needed to set about doing something to change things!

Astounding! Impossible! How could this ever be? I was forever a victim of alcoholism. "Not so." I heard a voice of hope from a recovering alcoholic who had made the change. Slowly I took small steps towards recovery and self-esteem.

I am a failure so long as I consider myself a failure. I am what I create in my life. God requires my cooperation to make miracles in my life. My decision to listen to those who had achieved sobriety provided the seeds for my recovery today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One Day at a Time

Stand tall ~ Start fresh ~ Let go of guilt
Don't look back ~ Take an inventory
Make amends ~ Trust others
Believe in yourself ~ Trust God's love
Appreciate your specialness
Accept your humanness
Ask for help
Trust enough to take
Have the courage to change
Accept the unchangeable
Be patient ~ Keep promises
Bury regret ~ Discard hate
Transcend self-doubt
Don't dwell on the past
Love each moment ~ Live each day
Build a better tomorrow ~ Open your heart
Explore your soul ~ Expect the best
Let miracles happen
LET GO and LET GOD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.” ~ Stephen Hawking

bluidkiti 08-25-2021 03:41 AM

August 25

Happy to Be Me Prayer

Dear God,
Give me the courage to be myself.
I’m always trying to be what others expect of me.
I’m wasting time and energy pleasing everyone but myself.
I’m not even very good at it.
Help me appreciate the best parts of being me.
Show me how to love myself so I can say with confidence:
I am very happy to be me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Two things can spoil group unity-gossip and criticism.

To avoid these divisive things, we must realize that we're all in the same boat. We're like a group of people in a lifeboat after the steamer has sunk. If we're going to be saved, we've got to pull together. It's a matter of life or death for us. Gossip and criticism are sure ways of disrupting any A.A. group. We're all in A.A. to keep sober ourselves and to help each other to keep sober. And neither gossip nor criticism helps anyone to stay sober.

So ............

Am I often guilty of gossip or criticism?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Release

We're promised a "new freedom" in the 12 Step program. How does this differ from the "old freedom" we've known?

The new freedom is an inner feeling of release from the bondage of compulsion. We are no longer serving as our own jailers. We are free from useless things that have held us back. Think of the burdens we had assumed by fearing others, by holding grudges, by having needless regrets.
This new freedom has nothing to do with political or civil liberties, which we hope to enjoy as our birthright. But nobody can give us freedom if we are locked into compulsions that bind us. We must seek the new freedom within ourselves.

Throughout the day, I'll think of myself as a completely free person. I'm free at last from the bondage I imposed upon myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fellowship

We were still trying to find emotional security by being dominating or dependent upon others. Even when our fortunes had not ebbed that much and we nevertheless found ourselves alone in the world, we still vainly tried to be secure by some unhealthy kind of domination or dependence. For those of us who were like that, AA had a very special meaning. Through it we begin to learn right relations with people who understand us; we don't have to be alone any more."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 116-117

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.” ~ Brené Brown

bluidkiti 08-26-2021 03:17 AM

August 26

Prayer to Smile

Dear Lord,
Please help me to smile more.
I believe if I smiled more, others would be captivated by joy and would want to smile more as well.
I also want to be more intentional about smiling more.
I want people to see me smiling more, I want them to see my joy, and I want to stir happiness in their hearts.
I pray for others who struggle with smiling.
Inspire us and help us to smile.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Gossip about or criticism of personalities has no place in an A.A. room.

Every man in A.A. is a brother and every woman is a sister, as long as he or she is a member of A.A. We ought not to gossip about the relationships of any man or woman in the group. And if we say about another member, "I think she or he is taking a few drinks on the side," it's the worst thing we could do to that person. If a woman or a man is not living up to A.A. principles or has a slip, it's up to her or him to stand up in a meeting and say so. If they don't do that, they are only hurting themselves.

So ............

Do I talk about other members behind their backs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Willpower

We almost universally agree that willpower simply does not work as a direct force in overcoming alcoholism. The alcoholic who believes that a strong will and determination bring sobriety is probably headed for disaster.

In the same way, willpower is ineffective in dealing with a number of personal problems. In fact, the mustering of willpower seems to strengthen the problems or cause them to take other forms. We know that we are using willpower on problems when there is a great deal of tension and anxiety in letting our Higher Power handle matters in a way that brings contentment and satisfaction. When excessive will is involved, we usually suppress feelings that ought to be expressed in positive ways.

The solution is not to fight problems in ourselves or in the outer world. By turning all matters over to the Higher Will, we will find the best way to deal with the evils within ourselves and with the opposition in our world. "Self-will run riot" was a problem in drinking, and it can be equality destructive in sobriety. Our will should be joined with the Higher Will for true success in living.

I will rely on my Higher power as I go through the day. God can do the many things I cannot do for myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ~ Leo Buscaglia

bluidkiti 08-27-2021 05:38 AM

August 27

Prayer for Letting Go

Dear God,
In this moment, I let go of all thoughts and concerns.
When I let go, I am able to receive.
When my hands are formed into tight fists, I cannot open my hands to receive anything.
When I hang onto tight control,
When I close off my heart and my spirit,
I cannot receive your blessings for me.
I let go to receive your blessings.
Letting go in this moment, I receive your loving presence around me and within me.
Help me to let go when I am feeling overwhelmed, so that I may receive your peace.
Help me to let go when I feel fear so that in fear’s place I may receive love and courage.
I let go of problems and challenges in order to receive your guidance and clarity.
I let go and trust you.
I will not fall.
You will catch me.
I let go and trust in the still, small voice inside of me.
Help me not to struggle but to surrender my struggle to you.
I gladly receive this gift of letting go and letting you lead me and guide me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must be loyal to the group and to each member of it.

We must never accuse members behind their backs or even to their faces. It's up to them to tell us themselves if anything is wrong. More than that, we must try not to think bad things about any members, because if we do, we're consciously or unconsciously hurting that person. We must be loyal to each other if A.A. is going to be successful. While we're in this lifeboat, trying to save each other and ourselves from alcoholism, we must be truly and sincerely helpful to each other.

So ............

Am I a loyal member of my group?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Guidance

If we go through the day with a confidence that our Higher Power is with us, events will go better than they would if we hadn't held to this belief. We will be more effective in everything we do. We will actually have more power in all activities.

This is what is meant in the Eleventh Step; "the power to carry that out." Knowing that the Higher power is in our lives, we also find the power to do what we believe to be God's will for us. As this confidence strengthens and is seasoned by experience, it becomes part of our nature.

Eventually, we'll sense our Higher Power working in our lives. We can learn to accept this with the same sure belief that we accept the sun's rising and the changing of the seasons. And we'll have the power to do whatever must be done by us.

A conscious contact with God can raise my daily activities to higher levels, giving me the power of achievement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unlimited Choice

Any number of alcoholics are bedeviled by the dire conviction that if they ever go near A.A. they will be pressured to conform to some particular brand of faith or theology.

They just don't realize that faith is never an imperative for A.A. membership. that sobriety can be achieved with an easily acceptable minimum of it, and that our concepts of a Higher Power and God--as we understand Him--afford everyone a nearly unlimited choice of spiritual belief and action
As Bill Sees It Page 201

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We do not heal the past by dwelling there; we heal the past by living fully in the present.” ~ Marianne Williamson

bluidkiti 08-28-2021 03:45 AM

August 28

Prayer For Strength

Lord, I feel held back by my timidity and fear of what others think of me.
In times when I should speak up, I remain silent.
Help me to have confidence and to be bold in saying what needs to be said.
I ask that I have the courage to not let others talk over me.
Please ease my fear that others will dislike me because of my words.
Give me the wisdom to speak truthfully and sensitively.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Showing tolerance to other A.A.’s.

If we feel the need of saying something to put another member on the right track, we should try to say it with understanding and sympathy, not with a critical attitude. We should keep everything out in the open and aboveboard. The A.A. program is wonderful, but we must really follow it. We must all pull together or we'll all be sunk. We enjoy the privilege of being associated with A.A. and we are entitled to all its benefits. But gossip and criticism are not tolerance, and tolerance is an A.A. principle that is absolutely necessary to group unity.

So ............

Am I truly tolerant of all my group's members?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tolerance

I need to be tolerant in my sobriety. I need to allow others to say what they feel and live according to their standards.

I was intolerant towards people who were different from myself. Much of what I criticized yesterday, I accept today; some things I still reject.

To love a person should not require "sameness"; equally, I can accept a person without agreeing with what they say or how they behave. Disagreements and conflicts lead to growth; change requires a variety of forces.

Not everything I say to do is "pure" --- and that has become the key to the acceptance of others. My history teaches me that I benefit from the variety of opinions that are represented in mankind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today

But today is always here. Life is daily; today is all we have; and anybody can go one day without drinking.
First, we try living in the now just in order to stay sober -- and it works.
Once the idea has become a part of our thinking, we find that living life in 24-hour segments is an effective and satisfying way to handle many other matters as well.

Living Sober Page 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Tolerance isn't about not having beliefs. It's about how your beliefs lead you to treat people who disagree with you.' ~ Timothy Keller

bluidkiti 08-29-2021 04:12 AM

August 29

Slow Me Down Lord

Slow me down Lord
Ease the pounding of my heart
by the quieting of my mind.

Steady my hurried pace
with a vision of the eternal march of time.
Give me amid the confusion of the day,
the calmness of the eternal hills.

Break the tension of my nerves and muscles
with the soothing music of the singing streams
that live in my memory.

Help me to know the magical restoring power of sleep.

Teach me the art of taking MINUTE vacations,
Of slowing down to look at a flower,
to chat with a friend,
to pat a dog,
to read a few lines of a good book.

Slow me down Lord
and inspire me to send my roots
deep into the soil of life's enduring values
that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.

~ Wilfred A. Peterson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One of finest things about A.A. is the diversity of its membership.

We come from all walks and stations of life. All types and classes of people are represented in an A.A. group. Being different from each other in certain ways, we can each make a different contribution to the whole. Some of us are weak in one respect, but strong in another. A.A. can use the strong points of all its members and can disregard their weaknesses. A.A. is strong, not only because we all have the same problem, but also because of the diversified talents of its members. Each person can contribute part.

So ............

Do I recognize the good points of all my group's members?,
(We are many & varied)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Life’s Outcome

I am in charge of my own life story.

There is always something you can do to shape your own future. Don’t let anyone or anything get in your way.

It’s easy to blame things outside of yourself for the outcome of your life. Sure, there are people and events that can get in your way. In reality, though, there are always things you can do to improve your situation. Remember that staying sober, setting goals and working hard will help you to create the life you want for yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility

The attainment of greater humility is the foundation principle of each of AA's Twelve Steps.
For without some degree of humility, no alcoholic can stay sober at all. . .
Without it, they cannot live to much useful purpose, or, in adversity, be able to summon the faith that can meet any emergency.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Peace is the ability to wait patiently in spite of panic brought on by uncertainty." ~ Charles R. Swindoll

bluidkiti 08-30-2021 03:34 AM

August 30

Prayer for a Humble Heart

Lord,
We pray for the heart position of humility. Humility in such a way that we do not cheapen our own worth or value within, but that we take the alignment that we are here for a greater purpose than just our own gain. We pray that You will highlight to us what it truly means to live a humble life, and that our own worth will be revealed by Your Light. It is only then that we may truly live in freedom and right standing, for we will hold our own value correctly. Lord, we welcome You to mold and secure our hearts in true humility by Your lead.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We should remember that all A.A.'s have "clay feet."

We should not set any member upon a pedestal and mark her or him out as a perfect A.A. It's not fair to the person to be singled out in this fashion and if the person is wise she or he will not wish it. If the person we single out as an ideal A.A. has a fall, we are in danger of falling, too. Without exception, we are all only one drink away from a drunk, no matter how long we have been in A.A. Nobody is entirely safe. A.A. itself should be our ideal, not any particular member of it.

So ............

Am I putting my trust in A.A. principles and not in any one member of the group?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contemplation

Inside Strength

I am finding my authentic self and living with a purpose.
It takes strength to take off our masks and be at peace with who we really are. If we think about the strength it has taken us to get this far, we know we can stay strong even longer.

Even if some of us haven’t found our life’s calling yet, we have found things to live for and we are living determinedly, proposing to do the right thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Step Seven .......

Step Seven - "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. "

But again, we are driven on by the inescapable conclusion which we draw from A.A. experience, that we surely must try with a will, or else fall by the wayside. At this stage of our progress, we are under heavy pressure and coercion to do the right thing. We are obliged to choose between the pains of trying and the certain penalties of failing to do so. These initial steps along the road are taken grudgingly, yet we do take them. We may still have no very high opinion of humility as a desirable personal virtue, but we do recognize it as a necessary aid to our survival.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 73-74

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“An intelligent person is never afraid or ashamed to find errors in their understanding of things.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

“Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.” ~ Ezra Taft Benson

bluidkiti 08-31-2021 04:22 AM

August 31

Knowing God More Prayer

Dear Lord,
Sometimes I get so lost in my life and don’t know what to do.
During these times, I wish I knew you more.
Help me to grow closer to you and understand you.
I want to hear your voice and let you guide me on this road called life.
Please draw closer to me and surround me with people that will help me to know you personally.
Ignite a spark in my heart to have a personal relationship with you.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A.A. is like a dike, holding back the ocean of alcohol.

If we take just one drink, it is like making a small hole in the dike and once such a hole has been made, the whole ocean of alcohol may rush in upon us. By practicing the A.A. principles we keep the dike strong and in repair. We spot any weakness or crack in that dike and make the necessary repairs before any damage is done. Outside the dike is the whole ocean of alcohol, waiting to engulf us again in despair.

So ............

Am I keeping the dike strong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Denial

Denial is a powerful tool. Never underestimate its ability to cloud your vision.

Be aware that, for many reasons, we have become experts at using this tool to make reality more tolerable. We have learned well how to stop the pain caused by reality - not by changing our circumstances, but by pretending our circumstances are something other than what they are.

Do not be too hard on yourself. While one part of you was busy creating a fantasy reality, the other part went to work on accepting the truth.
Now, it is time to find courage. Face the truth. Let it sink gently in.
When we can do that, we will be moved forward.

God, give me the courage and strength to see clearly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helping Others

We realize now that we were excessively self-centered, chiefly concerned about our feelings, our problems, other people's reactions to us, and our own past and future.
Therefore, trying to get into communication with and help other people is a recovery measure for us, because it helps take us out of ourselves. Trying to heal ourselves by helping others works, even when it is an insincere gesture.
Try it some time.

Living Sober Page 85

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Sobriety is a constant process of uncovering, discovering, and discarding." ~ Craig, Colorado, January 1997 Grapevine