Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - February (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29854)

bluidkiti 02-01-2023 06:18 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - February

February 1

Humility Prayer

God,
I am far too often influenced by what others think of me.
I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am.
Please prevent me from trying to attract attention.
Don't let me gloat over praise on one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other.
Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself.
Show me how to be humble of heart.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The Alcoholics Anonymous program has borrowed from medicine, psychiatry, and religion.

It has taken from these what it wanted and combined them into the program which it considers best suited to the alcoholic mind and which will best help the alcoholic to recover. The results have been very satisfactory. We do not try to improve on the A.A. program. Its value has been proved by the success it has had in helping thousands of alcoholics to recover. It has everything we alcoholics need to arrest our illness.

So ............

Do I try to follow the A.A. program just as it is?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Simple Program

Our program is simple. It has four equal parts: sobriety, fellowship, service, and faith.
Sobriety means we don't use alcohol or drugs any more.
Fellowship means we let people into our lives. We work at having a life that's rich with friends.
Service means we help when we see the need. It means knowing we have much to offer.
Faith means we believe in a loving, caring Higher Power. It means using our Higher Power as a guide in life.
Ours is a simple, easy program. Just remember sobriety, fellowship, service and faith.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beneficial Responsibility

Happily, A.A.'s per capita expenses are very low. For us to fail to meet them would be to evade a responsibility beneficial for us.

Most alcoholics have said they had no troubles that money would not cure. We are a group that, when drinking, always held out a hand for funds. So when we commence to pay our own service bills, this is a healthy change.

“As Bill See It” Page 84

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” ~ Francesca Reigler

bluidkiti 02-02-2023 05:46 AM

February 2

Fresh Start Prayer

Dear God,
Give me the courage to begin again – to overlook the difficulties, to overcome the obstacles and to stay open to the moment as best I can. Help me be patient enough to know it takes time to start over, and wise enough to ask for help from friends and family when I need it. As I look to the future, may I reflect on the past and remember the lessons it’s taught me. And God, may I always look to you for strength and guidance.

~ Abbey Caskets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I came into A.A., was I a desperate person?

Did I have a soul-sickness? Was I so sick of myself and my way of living that I couldn't stand looking at myself in a mirror? Was I ready for A.A.? Was I ready to try anything that would help me to get sober and to get over my soul-sickness?

So ............

Should I ever forget the condition I was in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Acceptance

Acceptance of our past, acceptance of the conditions presently in our lives that we cannot change, brings relief. It brings the peacefulness we so often, so frantically, seek.

We can put the past behind us. Each day is a new beginning. And each day offers us the chance to look ahead with hope. When we fear facing new situations, or when familiar situations turn sour, we can look to our God for help in saying what needs to be said and for doing what needs to be done. Our higher power is as close as our breath. Conscious awareness of its presence strengthens us, moment by moment.

Today is full of possibilities. With each breath I will be aware of the strength at hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willfulness

My willfulness is still very much a part of me and may always be a stumbling block to progress in my life. So I will have to stay very close to AA, where my strength lies. I am so full of human frailty that I think it is a miracle I am here today. It's only through AA.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 2], Pages 147-148

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“One of the most valuable things we can do to heal one another is listen to each other's stories.” ~ Rebecca Falls

bluidkiti 02-03-2023 06:02 AM

February 3

Prayer for When in a Bad Mood

Lord, I awoke this morning in a bad mood, and I have been unable to shake it so far.
Everything bothers me and everyone rubs me the wrong way.
I just cannot seem to get my true bearings.
Help me to think of your salvation—your countless gifts and overwhelming love for me.
Let me relax and forget life’s cares by placing myself wholly into your hands.
Grant that this mood will soon pass and I will be able to bask in your love and communicate it to others.
Amen.

~ St. Therese

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What makes A.A. work?

The first thing is to have a revulsion against myself and my way of living. Then I must admit I was helpless, that alcohol controlled my life and I couldn't do anything about it. The next thing is to honestly want to quit the old life. Then I must surrender my life to a Higher Power, put my drinking problem in His hands and leave it there. After these things are done, I should attend meetings regularly for fellowship and sharing. I should also try to help other alcoholics.

So ............

Am I doing these things?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Understanding

With my sobriety has come a desire to understand --- understand life, understand me, understand my relationships and understand God. Meaning --- what is true? What is noble? What is spiritual? These are important to me today.

I no longer wish to hurt, damage, ridicule, destroy, fight, lie or cheat in my life. I've had enough of being negative. I've had enough of being lost and isolated in my arrogance. I've had enough of standing on the outside of life, feeling resentful and afraid.

Sobriety, for me today, involves my search for meaning --- knowing full well that my understanding will always be imperfect and I can never comprehend fully. The ultimate answer is in living with confusion. I am not God . . . but I still intend to reach for the stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strong

A.A. members are not emotional cripples who need someone to hold their hands every moment of the day and night to prevent their falling. We grow up with the help of God, as we understand Him, and the fellowship of the group, and by applying the Twelve Steps to our lives.

Came to Believe Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Kindness can transform someone’s dark moment with a blaze of light. You’ll never know how much your caring matters. Make a difference for another today.” ~ Amy Leigh Mercree

bluidkiti 02-04-2023 05:03 AM

February 4

Prayer for Good Decisions

God, give me discernment today. Sharpen my senses so I can use good judgment in my life. Help me see and properly assess the positives and negatives in every situation, opportunity, and decision that I face. Guide me as I make choices. Help me forgo what is wrong and least helpful, and help me pursue what will bring satisfaction, growth, and fruitfulness in my life. Lord, help me to be selective and never impulsive. Develop in me a cautious and patient disposition so that I don’t make rash decisions and actions. And give me boldness to seize and pursue all opportunities and goals that you’ve planned for my life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a Thought

When I came into A.A., I learned what an alcoholic was.

I applied that knowledge to myself to see if I was an alcoholic. When I was convinced that I was an alcoholic, I admitted it openly. Since then, have I been learning to live accordingly? Have I read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? Have I applied the knowledge gained to myself? Have I admitted openly that I am an alcoholic?

So ............

Am I ready to admit it at any time when I can be of help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Personal Relations

Some of us grew up with resentments about the way our families treated us. It was confusing to notice how nice our parents could be toward strangers and then how abruptly they could become abusive toward us.
The best release for this kind of resentment is forgiveness, but we should also ask ourselves if we're guilty of the same faults. Are we discourteous and inconsiderate toward our own children and family members? Do we apologize when we offend strangers, but not when we hurt our own children?
We should try to treat everyone with fairness and kindness. No family member should be subjected to our incessant criticism and rudeness. We owe them the same courtesies we extend to strangers.
If I've had bad examples of abusive treatment in my own early years, I'll change the pattern by treating my own family with fairness and kindness, starting today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the "Honeymoon"

For most of us, the first years of A.A. are something like a honeymoon. There is a new and potent reason to stay alive, joyful activity aplenty. For a time, we are diverted from the main life problems. That is all to the good.

But when the honeymoon has worn off, we are obliged to take our lumps, like other people. This is where the testing starts. Maybe the group has pushed us onto the side lines. Maybe difficulties have intensified at home, or in the world outside. Then the old behavior patterns reappear. How well we recognize and deal with them reveals the extent of our progress.

As Bill Sees It Page 216

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
“Laugh at yourself. It tones your facial muscles and attitude.” ~ Kelly Rudolph

bluidkiti 02-05-2023 05:59 AM

February 5

Prayer for Hope

Give us hope Lord,
When evil darkens our world, give us light.
When despair numbs our souls, give us hope.
When we stumble and fall, lift us up.
When doubts assail us, give us faith.
When nothing seems sure, give us trust.
When ideals fade, give us vision.
When we lose our way, be our guide!
That we may find serenity in Your presence, and purpose in doing Your will.
Amen

~ John D. Rayner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Have I admitted I am an alcoholic?

Have I swallowed my pride and admitted I was different from ordinary drinkers? Have I accepted the fact that I must spend the rest of my life without alcohol? Do I have any more reservations, any idea in the back of my mind that someday I'll be able to drink safely? Am I absolutely honest with myself and with other people? Have I taken an inventory of myself and admitted the wrong I have done? Have I come clean with my friends?

So ............

Have I tried to make it up to them for the way I have treated other people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Apologies

Apologies can help us learn to have a healthier family. It is hard to apologize, but with practice, it will get easier. We are learning that we can make mistakes, and admit them, and that other people will accept our apologies. In the same way, we are learning we can accept others' apologies.

Apologies are sometimes hard to make. It helps to keep in mind that we make them as much for ourselves and our own growth as for the person we apologize to. We are not worthless just because we make mistakes, but we increase our value t o ourselves and others by being able to recognize them and apologize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peace

The more I drank, the more I fantasized everything....I lived in a dream world. A.A. led me gently from this fantasizing to embrace reality with open arms. And I found it beautiful! For, at last, I was at peace with myself. And with others. And with God.

Alcoholics Anonymous, "To Handle Sobriety," , Page 559

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"All of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today." ~ Dale Carnegie

bluidkiti 02-06-2023 06:03 AM

February 6

Attitude Adjustment Prayer

Lord,
I confess that sometimes I choose to focus on the negatives. In every moment of every day, help me focus on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable, so that my attitude may reflect and honor you. As I practice shifting my perspective, keep my heart from growing cold or bitter. Teach me to remember that I am not a slave to my negative emotions.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Have I turned to a Higher Power for help?

Do I believe that each man or woman I see in A.A. is a demonstration of the power of God to change a human being from an alcoholic into a sober, useful citizen? Do I believe that this Higher Power can keep me from drinking? Am I living one day at a time? Do I ask God to give me the power to stay sober for twenty-four hours?

So ............

Do I attend A.A. meetings regularly?
Do I have contact with other A.A.’s regularly?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Understanding

An early professional believed that alcoholics get into trouble because they thought they were SPECIAL. Thinking we're special certainly creates all sorts of problems.
It's true that every person is special in that no two people are exactly alike. But we're also part of the human race, and we are bound by the general limitations that apply to everyone. We got into trouble partly because we thought we were special and could break universal commonsense rules.
When we stop thinking of ourselves as special, we also become more teachable. We learn more from the experiences of others. Then we realize that we're both special and generic, and we use his knowledge for self-improvement rather than self-destruction.
I'll remember today that I'm special in certain ways, but that I'm also part of the human race and subject to things that apply to everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Cost

I was soon sitting beside a big hulk of a man. Decidedly unfriendly, he stared at me out of eyes which were slits in his red and swollen face. I had to agree with the doctor - he certainly didn't look good. But I told him my own story. I explained what a wonderful Fellowship we had, how well we understood each other. I bore down hard on the hopelessness of the drunk's dilemma. I insisted that few drunks could ever get well on their own steam, but that in our groups we could do together what we could not do separately. He interrupted to scoff at this and asserted he'd fix his wife, his partner, and his alcoholism by himself. Sarcastically he asked, `How much does your scheme cost?' "I was thankful I could tell him, `Nothing at all.'

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 152

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.” ~ Dee Wilson

“Attitude is a small thing that brings a big change.” ~ Winston Churchill

bluidkiti 02-07-2023 06:05 AM

February 7

Prayer For Tough Times

Dear Lord,
Teach me to be content when I’m facing a bad day.
How easy it is to be happy when everything goes well.
How tough it is to remember my joy when one thing after another appears to defeat me.
Turn my frown into a smile. Tears into laughter.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am content to live the rest of my life without alcohol.

I have surrendered as gracefully as possible to the inevitable. I have made the great decision once and for all. I have no more reservations. Nothing can happen to me now that would justify my drinking. No death of a dear one. No great calamity in any area of my life should justify me drinking. Even if I were on some desert isle, far from the rest of the world, but not far from God, should I ever feel it right to drink. For me, alcohol is poison.

So ............

I will always be safe unless I take that first drink. Am I fully resigned to this fact?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

True Enjoyment

In recovery, we work at taking better care of ourselves. We care for our mind and our body.
Often, during our drinking, we ignored our mind and body. We probably ate poorly, and we pushed our body to the limit.
But now, we are to recover. . .totally! We are to care for our mind and body as we care for our spirit. Our illness is an illness of mind, body, and spirit. So, let's care for all three. In recovery, we learn to care for and love all of who we are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conviction

We reviewed our fears thoroughly. We put them on paper, even though we had no resentment in connection with them. We asked ourselves why we had them. Wasn't it because self-reliance had failed us? Self-reliance was good as far as it went, but it didn't go far enough. . . .
"Perhaps there is a better way -- we think so. For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves."

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 68

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

”Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us.” ~ Eric Hoffer

bluidkiti 02-08-2023 05:16 AM

February 8

Isolation Prayer

Lord,
I often seek isolation in order to protect myself.
But this also shields me from people, places and
things that will make me grow and mature as a person.
Grant me the courage to step out in faith and face up to
that which intimidates me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I'm grateful that I found a program in A.A. that could keep me sober.

I'm grateful that A.A. has shown me the way to faith in a Higher Power, because the renewing of that faith has changed my way of life. And I've found a happiness and contentment that I had forgotten existed, by simply believing in God and trying to live the kind of a life that I know He wants me to live. As long as I stay grateful, I'll stay sober.

So ............

Am I in a grateful frame of mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Adventure

Sobriety. It's an exciting adventure. It's a spiritual adventure. We look inward. We find where our Higher Power lives: within us. We then reach outward. We share our joy with others. Not with words and preaching, but by trying to help others. Sobriety is faith turned into action.
Sobriety. It's an adventure in coming to know one's self. At times, we'll have to face our fears. But we'll also find just how much love we have for life.
Sobriety. It's as if we're on a trip. Our Higher Power holds the map. Our job is to listen. And we go in the direction we're told.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time

And what is time to me now? It is a most precious asset. I have the luxury of being able to cherish the memory of yesterday, to live today with serenity, to wait for tomorrow. I find great contentment in just knowing where I was and where I am. And I am grateful; grateful the existence of Alcoholics Anonymous; grateful to my God for leading me to the doors of AA and to Himself, grateful for hope.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 2], p. 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We find comfort among those who agree with us; growth among those who don't." ~ Frank A. Clark

bluidkiti 02-09-2023 06:01 AM

February 9

Decision Making Prayer

Sanity like common sense seems a high commodity these days.
I pray for all of us who struggle with decision making & taking on steps forward.
May we embrace our true personality without fear, feel confident You are by our side, & lead us to stand up, speak up, and show up in the precise moment.
Amen

~ Celeste M. Pérez Chadha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

It's very important to keep in a grateful frame of mind, if we want to stay sober.

We should be grateful that we're living in a day and age when alcoholics aren't treated as they often used to be before Alcoholics Anonymous was started. In the old days, every town had its town drunk who was regarded with scorn and ridicule by the rest of the townspeople. We have come into A.A. and found all the sympathy, understanding, and fellowship that we could ask for. There's no other group like A.A. in the world.

So ............

Am I grateful today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Progress vs. Perfection

We are the sculptors of our day.
We can mold it creatively into a wonderful masterpiece. We control the amount of moisture we mix into our clay. We pound it, shape it, stroke it, and love it. Others can offer suggestions, and we gain new perspectives from their advice, but it is finally our own creation. Our knife may occasionally slip, or our mixture of earth may be too dry. Any great artist suffers temporary setbacks. Besides, imperfections in art often make it all the more interesting.

Am I creative in my life today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayer Persistence

In A.A. we have found that the actual good results of prayer are beyond question. They are matters of knowledge and experience. All those who have persisted have found strength not ordinarily their own. They have found wisdom beyond their usual capability. And they have increasingly found a peace of mind which can stand firm in the face of difficult circumstances.

As Bill Sees It Page 127

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Faith has a powerful effect in helping people recover a sense of balance, tranquility, and hope.” ~ Robert Veninga

bluidkiti 02-10-2023 06:51 AM

February 10

Prayer to Release

God,
You know I am troubled by thoughts and feelings of anger, resentment and bitterness. You also know why. And You know how deep the hurt goes and how long I have lived with it. But I don’t want to live with it any longer. I don’t want to be an angry, resentful and bitter person. With Your help, I release my anger into Your hands. I surrender my resentment. I let go of my bitterness. Help me to keep letting go and release these toxic emotions as often as they try to return.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have turned to a Power greater than myself.

I am no longer at the center of the universe. The entire world does not revolve around me any longer. I am only one among many. I have a Father in heaven and I am only one of His children and a small one at that. But I can depend on Him to show me what to do and to give me the strength to do it. I am on the Way and the whole power of the universe is behind me when I do the right thing. I do not have to depend entirely on myself any longer. With God, I can face anything.

So ............

Is my life in the hands of God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Time Management

It's always risky when a recovering person gets too busy for meetings. It's also dangerous when business and personal concerns crowd out interest in the program.
We should never deceive ourselves by thinking that we're somehow safe just because our time is filled with useful and interesting work. Many of us have a tendency to become addicted to "busy-ness". Though less destructive than drinking, this serves as an escape, just as alcohol did.
The danger is that when the work no longer satisfies us, we'll find our lives becoming empty again. We could then be very vulnerable to taking a drink.
We should never be too busy for the wonderful, constructive work of the program. Far from taking time away from our other activities, work in the program will enhance everything we do.
I'll try to balance my activities today, making sure that I have time for the program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choices

We cannot wholly rely on friends to solve all our difficulties. A good adviser will never do all our thinking for us. He knows that each final choice must be ours. He will therefore help to eliminate fear, expediency, and self-deception, enabling us to make choices which are loving, wise, and honest.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 55

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Change happens in an instant. It happens the moment you DECIDE to change.” ~ Allyson Lewis

bluidkiti 02-11-2023 04:50 AM

February 11

Prayer For Inner Strength

Lord,
I'm upset and disturbed, and I pray that You will grant me the grace of inner peace.
Give me the patience I need to cope with the burdens and anxieties of my life.
Grant me the strength to better deal with my problems, and the understanding to be more tolerant and kind to others.
Teach me to seek after Your will.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, most of us were full of pride and selfishness.

We believed we could handle our own affairs, even though we were making a mess of our lives. We were very stubborn and didn't like to take advice. We resented being told what to do. To us, humility looked like weakness. But when we came into A.A., we began to be humble. And we found out that humility gave us the power we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is power in humility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

New Ideas

When we're urged to be open-minded, what's really involved? Open-mindedness certainly can't mean accepting every idea that comes down the road, because some of them are worthless or harmful.
Open-mindedness really means a readiness to put our deeply held opinions aside long enough to consider new ideas. If we simply refuse to listen to anything new, we'll avoid the bad ideas, but we'll also miss out on the ideas that can help us.
If we're really honest, we can look back to see many ideas that helped us after we reluctantly agreed to consider them. It's important to screen ideas as they come to us, but we can't block them out completely. All a good idea needs to help us is a fair chance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Habits

Our drinking was connected with many habits -- big and little. Some of them were thinking habits, or things we felt inside ourselves. Others were doing habits -- things we did, actions we took. In getting used to not drinking, we have found that we needed new habits to take the place of the old ones.

Living Sober, Preface

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Gratitude opens our eyes to the miracles that surround us." ~ D. Denise Dianaty

bluidkiti 02-12-2023 06:06 AM

February 12

Simple Prayer of Gratitude

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings you have bestowed on my life. You have provided me with more than I could ever have imagined. You have surrounded me with people who always look out for me. You have given me family and friends who bless me every day with kind words and actions. They lift me up in many ways.

Also, thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. You help me make better choices and provide me with advisors to help me with life’s difficult decisions. You speak to me in so many ways so that I always know you are here.

And Lord, I am so grateful for keeping those around me safe and loved. I hope that you provide me with the ability and sense to show them every day how much they matter. I hope that you give me the ability to give to them the same kindness they have provided to me.

Thank you, Lord.

From a Prayer by Kelli Mahoney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics recover their faith in a Power greater than themselves.

They admit that they're helpless by themselves and they call on that Higher Power for help. They surrender their lives to God, as they understand Him. They put their drink problem in God's hands and leave it there. They recover their faith in a Higher Power that can help them.

So ............

Have I recovered my faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

An Acceptance

One of the sad realities of life is that we're awash in disorders that we can't fix. All around us, the world seethes and festers with ailments and injustices that are beyond our control.
We can react by becoming angry or by making quixotic efforts to solve some of these problems. Our best course, however, is to apply our 12 Step program to life in this world. The Serenity Prayer suggests we accept what we can't change. A slogan reminds us to set priorities ("First things First.") The Eleventh Step reminds us to always seek God's will.
This will enable me to live effectively while doing my best to serve others. In time, I may even discover that I can fix a few of the seemingly insoluble problems around me.
I'll realize today that I have the ability only to do certain things within my sphere of experience. I'll see to it, however, that I do these things well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obstacles in Our Path

We live in a world riddled with envy. To a greater or lesser degree, everybody is infected with it. From this defect we must surely get a warped yet definite satisfaction. Else why would we consume so much time wishing for what we have not, rather than working for it, or angrily looking for attributes we shall never have, instead of adjusting to the fact, and accepting it?

As Bill Sees It Page 131

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Spiritual Strength is not weakened by unfortunate circumstances, but by lack of faith" ~ Wayne Chiriso

bluidkiti 02-13-2023 06:13 AM

February 13

Morning Prayer

God direct my thinking today so that it will be divorced of self pity, dishonesty, self-will, self-seeking and fear. God inspire my thinking, decisions and intuitions. Help me to relax and take it easy. Free me from doubt and indecision. Guide me through this day and show me my next step. God give me what I need to take care of any problems. I ask all these things that I may be of maximum service to you and my fellow man.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes from the fellowship of A.A.

Just being with men and women who have found the way out gives you a feeling of security. You listen to the speakers, you talk with other members, and you absorb the atmosphere of confidence and hope that you find in the place.

So ............

Am I receiving strength from the fellowship with other A.A. members?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tomorrow Is Another Day

Trying to do everything today is just another example of self will run riot. We are not super people and we cannot perform miracles. It is our Higher Power who makes possible our accomplishments, and His work is done slowly and gradually. God never expects more of us than we are able to deliver. It is our own pride that entices us to tackle the impossible.

As long as we are alive, our work will not be finished. Each day we are given new tasks to do and new experiences to enjoy. What we do not complete today can be continued tomorrow, according to the will of our God.

I can leave tomorrow's tasks for tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Release

Who can render an account of all the miseries that have once been ours, and who can estimate the release and joy that the later years have brought to us? Who could possibly tell the vast consequences of what God's work through AA had already set in motion?

As Bill Sees It Page 163

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Alcoholism is above all a disease of denial.” ~ David Stafford

bluidkiti 02-14-2023 06:28 AM

February 14

Gratitude Prayer for Happiness

Thank you, Lord, for all of your blessings in our lives.
Thank you for surrounding us with wonderful friends, family members, and neighbors.
Thank you for giving us the gift of your beautiful world and all the skies, mountains, and lakes.
Thank you for the thrill of celebrations and the enrichment of music.
Thank you for all of the animals and creatures that you made.
When I am down or depressed, please remind me of all of the many reasons why I should be thankful.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, we were living an unnatural life physically and mentally.

We were punishing our bodies by loading them with alcohol. We didn't eat enough and we ate the wrong things. We didn't get enough sleep or the right kind of rest. We were ruining ourselves physically. We had an alcoholic obsession and we couldn't imagine life without alcohol. We kept imagining all kinds of crazy things about ourselves and about other people. We were ruining ourselves mentally.

So ............

Since I came into A.A., am I getting better physically and mentally?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Good Feelings

We often focus on the troublesome trio - pain, fear, and anger. But there are other feelings available in the emotional realm - happiness, joy, peace, contentment, love, closeness, and excitement. It's okay to let ourselves feel pleasurable feelings too.

We don't have to worry when we experience good feelings; we don't have to scare ourselves out of them; we don't have to sabotage our happiness. We do that, sometimes, to get to the more familiar, less joyous terrain.

It's okay to feel good. We don't have to analyze, judge, or justify. We don't have to bring ourselves down, or let others bring us down, by injecting negativity.

We can let ourselves feel good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disease

Some strongly object to the AA position that alcoholism is an illness. This concept, they feel, removes moral responsibility from alcoholics. As any AA knows, this is far from true. We do not use the concept of sickness to absolve our members from responsibility. On the contrary, we use the fact of fatal illness to clamp the heaviest kind of moral obligation onto the sufferer, the obligation to use AA's Twelve Steps to get well.

As Bill Sees It Page 32

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Laughter, like a drenching rain, settles the dust, cleans and brightens the world around us, and changes our whole perspective." ~ Jan Pishok

bluidkiti 02-15-2023 06:33 AM

February 15

Sarum Primer Prayer

God be in my head
and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes
and in my looking;
God be in my mouth
and in my speaking;
God be in my heart
and in my thinking;
God be in my end
and at my departing.

-- Author Unknown, c. 1514
(the Sarum Primer of 1514, which was a book of prayers that was collected by the clergy at Salisbury Cathedral in the South-central part of England)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes from coming to believe in a Higher Power that can help you.

You might not be able to define this Higher Power, but you can see how it helps other alcoholics. You hear them talk about it and you begin to get the idea yourself. You try praying in a quiet time each morning and you begin to feel stronger, as though your prayers were heard. So you gradually come to believe there must be a Power in the world outside of yourself, which is stronger than you and which you can turn to for help.

So ............

Am I receiving strength from my faith in a Higher Power?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Emotional Emergencies

Wise managers install automatic sprinkler systems to protect their businesses. The system's great value is that it goes into action during the first few minutes of a fire, before it gets out of control. This gives the fire department precious time to arrive and put the fire out.
Our AA program gives us something like an automatic sprinkler system. We never know when the flames of resentment might leap up, seemingly out of nowhere. If we've been working on our program, something takes over automatically to begin dealing with resentment.
This gives us time to bring more of our valuable spiritual tools into use. Knowing that resentment is burning away, we can try one thing and then another until it is brought to rest. Perhaps we will try prayer. We might also discuss our problem with a close friend or sponsor. Maybe we'll attend a meeting and lay the matter out for the group's attention. We may help somebody, even in a small way. An amazing healing of resentment can come from any helpful action. Even a simple action like helping a person in a stalled automobile can work wonders in deflecting the pain of ongoing resentment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shared Gift

Faith is more than our greatest gift; its sharing with others is our greatest responsibility. May we of A.A. continually seek the wisdom and the willingness by which we may well fulfill that immense trust which the Giver of all perfect gifts has placed in our hands.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you.” ~ Mary Lou Retton