Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Recipes (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Potatoes - Soul Food (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338)

MajestyJo 08-12-2013 10:26 PM

Potatoes - Soul Food

This is meant for the body, but I have always found Potatoes to be Soul Food. Good for my soul, especially when they are garlic mashed.

1 lb. potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled, cubed (about 3-1/2 cups)

6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped

1/2 of a medium red pepper, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

6 eggs

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

PLACE potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil; continue boiling 5 min. Drain well; set aside.

COOK bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Remove from skillet; drain and set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.

Add red pepper and onion to skillet; cook and stir on medium heat 3 min. Add potatoes; cook an additional 10 min., stirring occasionally.

MAKE 6 small wells in potato mixture. Place 1 raw egg in each well. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and cheese; cover. Cook 5 to 8 min. or until eggs are set.

This sounds very good, and my thoughts led me to a casserole dish

Fry bacon or use bacon bits. Fry Onion and Red Pepper or 3-4 Green Onions or add Chives instead of or with mushrooms. I would use fresh mushrooms instead of canned ones.

I would cook double the amount of potatoes, mash and add a tablespoon of butter/margarine. I would beat eggs, add about 3 tablespoons of milk, and add to potatoes, enough to make creamy. Add crumbled bacon, onion, peppers, mushrooms, chives and cheese. (White Cheddar or Monteray Jack would be good too)

Place mixtures in casserole dish, top with cheese and fine bread crumbs, and bake at 350 deg. F oven for about 20 min. until egg is cooked.

Bacon bits could be used for flavor and cook bacon as a side dish or serve with sausages or ham.

MajestyJo 08-12-2013 10:35 PM

FOR THE SOUL

Fold two hands together,
And express a dash of sorrow;
Marinate it overnight,
And work on it tomorrow.

Chop one grudge in tiny pieces
Add several cups of love,
Dredge with a large-sized smile,
Mix in ingredients from above.

Dissolve the hate within you,
By doing a good deed;
Cut in and help your friend,
If he or she should be in need.

Stir in laughter, love and thankfulness,
From the heart it has to come;
Toss with genuine kindness, then
share with folks who may need some.

The amount of people served,
Will all depend on you ...
This recipe can feed an entire world,
If you really want it to!

MajestyJo 08-12-2013 11:03 PM

Potato Chowder
Serves 4 to 6

Once This delightful and easy to make dish can go along with any holiday meal. It is Dairy-Free, Gluten Free.

Ingredients

4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped

1 cup carrot, grated

1 tsp salt (optional)

1/3 teaspoon pepper

1 TB dried parsley flakes

4 tsp chicken bouillon

6 cups skim milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

paprika, for garnish

Method

In large Dutch oven, combine potatoes, onion, carrot, salt, pepper, parsley flakes and bouillon. Add enough water to just cover veggies. Cook until veggies are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Do not drain. Measure 1쩍 cups milk and add flour to milk, stirring with wire whisk. Stir until blended. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat and thicken. Garnish with
paprika.

Nutrition Information: Per Serving (10 oz.): 160 calories (5 calories from fat), 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 3g dietary fiber, 9g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 5mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium

From Anestian Newsletter

MajestyJo 08-12-2013 11:06 PM

he site is about Food for the Body, Mind and Spirit. This is meant for the body, but I have always found Potatoes to be Soul Food. Good for my soul, especially when they are garlic mashed.

1 lb. potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled, cubed (about 3-1/2 cups)

6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped

1/2 of a medium red pepper, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

6 eggs

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

PLACE potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil; continue boiling 5 min. Drain well; set aside.

COOK bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Remove from skillet; drain and set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.

Add red pepper and onion to skillet; cook and stir on medium heat 3 min. Add potatoes; cook an additional 10 min., stirring occasionally.

MAKE 6 small wells in potato mixture. Place 1 raw egg in each well. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and cheese; cover. Cook 5 to 8 min. or until eggs are set.

This sounds very good, and my thoughts led me to a casserole dish

Fry bacon or use bacon bits. Fry Onion and Red Pepper or 3-4 Green Onions or add Chives instead of or with mushrooms. I would use fresh mushrooms instead of canned ones.

I would cook double the amount of potatoes, mash and add a tablespoon of butter/margarine. I would beat eggs, add about 3 tablespoons of milk, and add to potatoes, enough to make creamy. Add crumbled bacon, onion, peppers, mushrooms, chives and cheese. (White Cheddar or Monteray Jack would be good too)

Place mixtures in casserole dish, top with cheese and fine bread crumbs, and bake at 350 deg. F oven for about 20 min. until egg is cooked.

Bacon bits could be used for flavor and cook bacon as a side dish or serve with sausages or ham.