Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Growing My Faith (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372)

bluidkiti 10-28-2013 11:17 AM

Growing My Faith

Growing My Faith Part 01 - Stability

by Gail Rodgers
She listened to my concern over my child’s behavior. “Next week it will be something else,” she smiled and casually commented. She was right. What was consuming me at that moment had seemed so big, yet before long it did change and a life lesson became evident to me. Change is a constant we can count on.

Sometimes we embrace the changes and enjoy the adventure. Other times the changes are hard and we wrestle against them. Sometimes we initiate them. Other times they come as an unwelcome intruder. No one is exempt from change. It may come gradually and we adjust or it may come like an earthquake and rock our foundations.
This week I spoke with several in the midst of change. One was grieving and could not stop crying. Another was newly engaged with a sparkle in her eye that matched her diamond ring. Another has serious health issues while another faces uncertainty with an aging parent. Still another longs for changes that are too slow in coming. I too have some question marks in my life… you may too.
Changes, both those that are welcome and those that are not, can leave us with a feeling of instability. And instability doesn’t feel good. Instability is like walking on a slippery path or maneuvering over uneven terrain. When we feel that instability and the downward pull of it, there is help. We can ask God to steady us. He is aware of all that is happening in our individual lives and He longs to stabilize us through the transitions and changes. He invites us to sit in His presence and talk with Him and listen to Him.
Listen to the promise:
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest (find stability) in the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1
God reminds us that we can live in security with Him. He knows where we are. He knows what is happening in our lives. He asks us to camp out on the certainty that He will give us rest and stability through all the changes as we stay close to Him. He will take our arm and help us over the uneven terrain. He will even carry us when it becomes too hard.
Whatever change you are facing today, whether it is one you sought out or one you wished had not happened, reach out to God and let Him steady you. Tell Him where you feel unstable whether it is in your emotions, your physical strength, your wisdom, your finances or your future. To dwell in Him means to keep your communication open with Him, tell Him what you feel. Then listen for Him to speak to you through His Word, through other people and through your spirit by His Holy Spirit. He will direct you and He will give you stability as you walk one step at a time.
prayer & reflection

Father God,

Hold me steady today as I work through the changes in my life. Give me stability as I draw near to You. Thank you for Your faithful strength to see me through uncertainty.
I pray this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 10-29-2013 08:45 AM

Growing My Faith Part 02 - Be Alert

by Gail Rodgers
She hadn’t called me for sometime now. She was often on my mind. I thought I should call her… maybe later. We are both busy women so I passed it off. We would eventually catch up with each other.

When we did I discovered she had been going through a hard time. She had often felt very alone in it. Yes, she could have called me but most of us simply don’t reach out when we are down. It was God’s spirit nudging me to get in touch with her.
God spoke to my heart through His Word.
“... be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:18
You and I are built for relationship and community. It is part of who we are especially as Christians. Ask God today to make your spirit sensitive to His Holy Spirit as you go through your day. Ask Him to keep you alert to who needs your prayers today. Be bold in offering to pray with and for others. Be alert to the nudging in your spirit to make that call and connect with who He is bringing to your mind.
Praying for one another and watching for God’s answer builds us up in our faith as we encourage each other to trust our God.
Prayer is the greatest privilege we have and it is the most powerful tool we can use. It is the deepest source of satisfaction as we see God work in answer to our heart’s cry.
Be alert today. Ask God who He wants to touch through your prayers. You will be encouraged yourself as you pray for someone else.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Make my heart sensitive to the nudging of Your Holy Spirit today. May I be one who lifts others before your throne of grace to find mercy and help in their time of need. Thank you for this powerful connection we have with You, our almighty God!
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 10-30-2013 09:49 AM

Growing My Faith Part 03 - Tossed About

by Gail Rodgers
Tracy believed God could answer prayer. Some days her faith was strong and she believed God would give her the wisdom she needed. Other days she just didn’t believe He would and her faith wavered. She knew many of her Christian friends rode this same roller coaster of believing God one day and doubting the next. Was it just part of the normal Christian life?

Tracy read a verse in the Bible that gave her new understanding. She realized God was telling her this did not need to be the pattern of her life. Listen to what God says…
“If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man (or woman) should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.” James 1:5-8
Tracy realized instability had been a characteristic in her life lately. She was bouncing around in her decisions as if tossed by the wind. She hadn’t realized it was a result of simply not believing God would generously give her the wisdom she needed.
It’s not hard to fall into doubting, especially if God seems to have you in His waiting room. Yet unbelief will result in that feeling of being tossed about on the sea, directionless and unstable. If your trust in God’s ability to give you the wisdom is wavering, then take action. You can move from being “double minded” to walking in faith. God will help you.
  • Admit you find it hard to believe God will give you the wisdom you need.
  • Ask Him to forgive when you doubt.
  • Ask Him to increase your faith.
  • Ask Him afresh to generously give you the wisdom you need.
  • Deal with doubting thoughts the moment they enter your mind. Capture them and ask God for renewed faith. (2 Cor. 10:5)
God desires to walk with us and help us every step of our journey. As we depend on Him to steady us in our faith He will keep us steady in all we do. Lean hard on Him today and look for the wisdom He will send through His Word, through other people and through unexpected understanding. Expect to receive the wisdom He so generously offers.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You understand my faith wavers at times. Thank you for the wisdom You offer me generously. Help me today, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to put aside my unbelief. Help me to find my stability in unwavering faith, believing You will guide me with Your divine wisdom every step of my way. Increase my faith today.
I ask this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 10-31-2013 10:22 AM

Growing My Faith Part 04 - To Me or Through Me?

by Gail Rodgers
Kelly locked her door and hurried to the car. Easing into the morning traffic her thoughts went several directions. She began to breathe a prayer for the needs in her life. She needed God’s wisdom in her relationship with Bob. She needed His help in stretching her finances. She needed strength to get through her day and deal with the politics at work. She needed… oh, so much. She needed the Lord to pour out His help and strength to her.

We all need that. We are all invited to come to God and ask for mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. Yet there is more. God wants to pour into us so He can pour out through us.
Today don’t just stop at asking God for His help and strength for your own needs. The God of Peace longs to come into your day and equip you for what you need, but He also wants to equip you for what He needs you to do. Ask Him to give to you so that He can give through you to those you will touch today. All around you are people who need to know God cares. He wants to show them His love through you. You were made to do this in unique ways only you can do.
Inviting God to give TO you and then THROUGH you will energize you in a way that will surprise you. It doesn’t add more to an already too long “to do” list. Instead as we allow His Spirit to work through us, it brings the process full circle and again we find He works in us. Not just meeting the urgent needs of our day but refining who we are.
Listen to this blessing for you today from God’s Word… should I take out the blue?
“May the God of Peace… equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen” Hebrews 13:20 & 21
prayer & reflection

Dear Father in Heaven,
Thank you that You, the God of Peace who raised Jesus from the dead, will equip me… with all my faults and failings. Please pour out to me what I need today… and then pour through me to touch others. What an amazing process. As You work through me You will also work in me to refine and smooth my rugged edges. Thank you for caring enough about me not to leave me as I am.
I pray this in the powerful name of Jesus. Amen.

bluidkiti 11-01-2013 09:04 AM

Growing My Faith Part 05 - What are You Feeding Your Spirit?

by Gail Rodgers
She said she felt flat. It felt like she was running on empty. She knew Jesus but she still felt like something was missing in her life. It was like a hunger deep within. I asked her what she had been feeding her spirit. “What do you mean?” she asked.

Just as our body needs food so does our spirit. We rarely think about the diet our spirit is getting. Taking a close look at what you have been feeding your spirit will likely reveal why that deep hunger exists at times. Where has your focus been? Ask yourself a few questions…
  • Am I allowing my spirit to spiral down with thinking filled with worry?
  • Has busyness crowded out my quiet time to think about the choices I am making? We change with the influences around us.
  • Is my entertainment feeding me things that actually rob my spirit?
  • Am I surrounding myself with people that encourage me or pull me down?
  • What desires am I focusing on?
  • Who am I becoming?
God tells us in His Word what will fill the craving in your soul like nothing else can. Listen to what it says:
“... Crave pure spiritual milk so that by it you may grow up in your salvation.” 2 Peter 2:2
The craving deep in your soul is a craving for God’s Word. It is a call to pay attention to the Bible. That may sound trite and could be easily brushed off. We have heard it all before.
But check it out. Is your soul hungry? Does it feel like something is missing? Take one week and pay close attention to God’s Word. Read it, think about it, write out a verse or two that stands out to you. Make an appointment to spend time with God just as you would make any other appointment. Let worship music dust off your soul. Pray, read and listen. Let God’s Word penetrate your heart. It will feed your soul and fill you in ways you have forgotten. Don’t settle for less.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
My soul feels hungry. I confess that what I have been feeding my soul has simply been junk food. I long for Your filling. Show me treasures in Your Word as I make time for You this week. Fill me up, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, and help me not to settle for less.

bluidkiti 11-02-2013 11:03 AM

Growing My Faith Part 06 - Give it Away

by Gail Rodgers
It was my daughter’s idea. She told me she had been thinking about the Advent devotions and how to prepare her heart, not just her home, for Christmas. And she had a great idea!

Jen decided to give fruit away. Oh, not the apples and Christmas oranges that you see in the store. No, she told me she was asking God for opportunities to give away the “fruit of the Spirit”.
The “fruit of the Spirit” is nine qualities the Bible says will show up in our lives as we daily ask the Holy Spirit to fill us up with God. He cultivates these in the life of a follower of Jesus. This fruit in our lives is what shows a watching world we are different because we follow Jesus.
Here is the list of fruit from the Bible:
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, self control, gentleness, goodness and faith.” Galatians 5:22
Each day, until Christmas, choose one fruit off the list and ask God to deposit this gift in your heart in extra measure. Then ask Him to provide an opportunity to give that fruit away in a specific act that day. It is both a rewarding and a challenging experience.
When we focus on allowing the Holy Spirit to overflow in our lives He may use the opportunity to highlight how very much we need Him. This fruit cannot be mustered up in our own strength with enough to give away. No, it is His work in our lives.
I’m taking Jen’s idea and asking the Holy Spirit to prepare my heart in a deeper way this Christmas too. As a Jesus follower I want His fruit to be in abundance in my life. I want those around me to see the difference He makes as I choose to ask Him to fill me up every day. Why don’t you join me? Let’s ask Him to fill us afresh today. Then watch for opportunities to give it way. Together we’ll prepare our hearts for Christmas.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I thank you that You do not leave us to try to live this Christian life alone. Thank you for giving us the Holy Spirit to fill us and flow through us to those around us. Today I ask that You would fill me afresh with Your Spirit. Cultivate Your fruit in my life today. Help me to be aware of Your deposit in my heart and show me an opportunity to give that fruit away today. Thank you for the amazing help of Your Holy Spirit.

bluidkiti 11-03-2013 12:39 PM

Growing My Faith Part 07 - Seeing the Abundance

by Gail Rodgers

She wanted to give gifts that were special. She wondered how she could. Things had been a little tight for them financially this year. She knew going into debt right now would not be wise and besides… she didn’t like the commercialization that had taken over the season.

She began to ask God to show her what to do. Many of us look for special ways to express our care at this time of year. Here are some gift giving ideas that have been shared with me.

The Gift of Quality Time

Give “Gift Certificates” to special people that say “I want to spend time with you.”

A Small story book for a child with a fancy coupon attached promising 5 - 10 “reads” anytime they ask. (Be prepared to follow through!)
A gift certificate promising a date for a coffee out with a friend you’ve been meaning to connect with.
A coupon that promises a manicure, pedicure or massage that you will do for someone special. Bring your nicest lotion and some pretty polish along.
A date coupon for a nice supper at home with your spouse. Trade babysitting with a friend and… get out the candles.
A certificate entitling the holder to a free home cooked meal, a batch of cookies or an evening of free babysitting.

The Gift of Affirmation

Give away words that sincerely build up another person.

A card to your spouse affirming the things about him you fell in love with.
A letter to your teenager highlighting the great qualities you see in him or her and expressing your confidence in the person they are becoming.
A thank you note to someone who has touched your life in a special way recently.
A card to a parent or a parent-in-law letting them know how they have impacted your life in positive ways.
Many of the best gifts do not come from a store! You have received grace from our loving Lord, now go share it.

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8

prayer & reflection

Father God,
Your Word says that You will help me to be generous on all occasions. Thank you for Your grace that overflows to me. Help me to see the beauty in others and to express it as a gift to them, with thanksgiving in my heart to You.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-04-2013 10:31 AM

Growing My Faith Part 08 - Asking God

by Gail Rodgers

Sue quickly prayed for her day as she headed out the door. She needed the Lord’s help with so many things. She asked God to protect her kids and to keep her safe as she traveled. She asked for wisdom for the doctors as her friend went for treatment today. Before she had even finished her list of requests to God she found she was at her parking space and the busy day began.

Like Sue, I sometimes find myself with a “to do” list for God. I impatiently wait for Him to accomplish what I ask.

This week God reminded me what He wants me to have on the top of my prayer list. Listen with me to these words:

“One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple. For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.” Psalm 27:4 & 5

It was suddenly clear to me again. The one thing that my heart should seek after most is to be in the presence of the Lord…to dwell there, to take up residence there…to live there. For me, that means putting aside my “to do” list for God and first spending some time asking Him to fill me up afresh with His Holy Spirit. I ask Him to speak to me from His Word, the Bible. I often let music wash over my soul and reaffirm the strength and beauty of the Lord and His faithfulness in my life. My faith is renewed and the closeness and peace of the Lord returns.

These verses let me know that I can still expect life will hold some trouble and challenge. God never promises a trouble free life. Yet the promise is there that He will keep me safe and sheltered through it as I dwell in His presence. He will be the Rock of my life.

Today set aside your “to do” list for God for a little while. Take some quiet moments and ask Him to fill you afresh with His presence. Ask Him to help you find His purposes in your day and in your life. Ask Him to hold you through the uncertainties of your life and feel His shelter through the difficult things you face.

As you move from this prayer time into your day you will be refreshed. The filling up comes from His presence. Seek that first. It will give new perspective to the rest of your prayer list too.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Help me to make it a priority to seek your presence and listen for your voice in my life through Your Word. Help me to cease from the sometimes frantic recital of my “to do” for You and to learn to live more fully in Your presence today. Help me to seek You and not just seek things from You.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-05-2013 09:15 AM

Growing My Faith Part 09 - Company's Coming

by Gail Rodgers
Getting a house full of company? Often the holiday season has us brushing shoulders with friends and family. Sometimes we are happy to be together and other times relationships can be tense.

God understands our human nature and tells us just how to respond when we feel tension stirring. He says:
“A soft answer turns away anger but harsh words stir it up”. Proverbs 15:1
Keeping this in the forefront of your thoughts can be a big help. Think about your own responses lately. Are you using the stirring spoon of harsh words and a raised voice? You can put a soft response in its place. There are times we need to be firm but with a gentleness that God can give.
Envision yourself with a hoola hoop around your waist. The area inside the hoola hoop represents your area of control. It is your own thoughts, your feelings, your ideas, your passions, your decisions and your words - all that you are responsible for.
Now envision a second larger circle outside the first. This is the circle that represents other people’s thoughts, emotions, decisions, passions, ideas and words. You have no control here, only influence.
Think about what’s been happening this week inside your hoola hoop. Have you been reacting to life’s pressures by stirring the spoon of harsh words, a raised voice or angry tones? Are your thoughts or emotions spiraling you down?
Invite Jesus into the areas of life where your reactions are abrasive. He will give His strength where yours is weak. Then you will be less inclined to reach into the next person’s hoola hoop to try to control the decisions, ideas, words and feelings of others. You will be more aware of the gentle influence you can have when you “respond” with Jesus’ help rather than “react” with your own sandpaper.
Turn your reactions into chosen responses by the power of the Holy Spirit.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
As we move into the busy season of celebrating the birth of Your Son, help me to respond to the situations and people in my life with a gentleness that comes from You. Help me to tend what is in my own hoola hoop and be less concerned with what is in another’s. Fill me with Your gentleness and help me to put away the stirring spoon as I rub shoulders with those in my life.

bluidkiti 11-06-2013 09:25 AM

Growing My Faith Part 10 - Inheritance

by Gail Rodgers
The party was great! Mom didn’t look the 80 years that the number on the cake proclaimed! It was a good day. Friends and family honored Mom for the woman of faith she is and for her influence in all of our lives. It made me think about my inheritance.

Oh, I don’t mean money in the bank… that can be here today and gone tomorrow. It made me think about the things we leave behind us in the lives of other people.
Let me share four principles of life that we pinpointed as we reminisced what Mom gave us. These are things I can pass on to others in my life. These are things you can pass on too. Each one of us is building an inheritance for those who come behind us. It is a good thing to be reminded of. Consider making these things a part of the heritage you are passing on even today.
Take a risk. Climb out on a limb where the fruit is. Most everything is a risk. To live is to risk dying. To hope is to risk despair. To try is to risk failure. The greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing!
Check your attitude. Forget what is behind and reach forward to what lies ahead. There is no way to be shielded from some of the negative experiences during our life time. The secret is how we respond to them!
Remember to live one day at a time. It is when we add the burden of regret of yesterday and fear of tomorrow that we miss today. Live in this moment!
Put your hope in God. It is because He lives that we can face tomorrow! Faith in God is the foundation of a solid life.
Consider the inheritance you are passing on, even today, to those in your life. These things Mom put into my life began years ago. You are making an impact today. You are an influence today. You are passing on an inheritance long before your hair is gray.
“We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done.” Psalm 78:4
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you for the inheritance I have received from You and from Godly people you have placed in my life. Help me to remember I am also impacting lives as my life touches and influences those around me. Show me if there are new ways You want to use my influence and life experiences in the coming New Year. Keep me mindful that I do not need to be “old” to pass on Your love. Show me where there is a child in my circle that needs my prayers or a kids clubs or youth group that needs my help.
I ask for Your guidance in the name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-07-2013 10:09 AM

Growing My Faith Part 11 - Fanning the Flame

by Gail Rodgers
We sat by the open fire. It was warm and friendly. We hardly noticed the coals were growing cold. One smoldering log had rolled away from the rest and the fire was dwindling fast. I drew the log to the coals. Gradually the spark of fire grew as I fanned the flame and it engulfed the log.

Busy days and hurried lives can leave us feeling distanced from the flame that once warmed our hearts. Like that smoldering log we can find ourselves drawn away from the fire of God’s love by the cares of this world… and we miss Him.
Over the years I have had times when I have felt a distance from God. He never moves…but sometimes I do. Many things can contribute to that distance. Busyness is a common one. Discouragement with life’s circumstances is another. Regardless of the cause, once we acknowledge the distance, there is a remedy. We can draw close to the flame and fan the flickering spark.
If you feel a distance from God and long for a new warmth in your relationship with Him, do one thing. Do the one thing you would do if you longed for the company of a special individual…make an appointment to spend some time together. Make an appointment to spend some time with God.
James 4:8 gives us a promise…
“Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8
Tell God exactly how you are feeling and how you have missed the warmth of His presence. Tell Him the things that you know you need to turn from and ask for His help. Ask Him to fill your heart with His presence and to fill your mind with His priorities.
If you long for His presence, make that appointment today. Ask Him to enlarge your vision of your life so you can begin to do, in greater measure, the very things He created you uniquely to do. This is the path to true joy.
Remember, God is only ever one good prayer time away. And He misses you too.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I miss the closeness we once had. Today I want to draw near to You and I know You will draw near to me. Help me to turn from the things that drew me away from You. Fill my heart with Your love and fill my life with your presence. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit in fresh ways so I can begin to see the plans You have for me; your plans to fulfill me as I look to accomplish what You have for me to do. Thank you for embracing me with Your warmth today.

bluidkiti 11-08-2013 11:29 AM

Growing My Faith Part 12 - The Abundance of Your life

by Gail Rodgers

Sharon looked at her friend’s house with an envious eye. It was beautiful! In comparison hers was small and badly in need of a facelift. She found discontentment rattling around in her heart. She began to see her life through the lens of lack rather than through the lens of abundance… and her discontentment grew.

Jesus tells us:

“A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:14

In other words, real life and real living are not related to how much stuff we have.

Choose today to make a conscious effort to be content with what you have. Remembering that real living does not consist of the accumulation of stuff… begin to look at your life differently.

Look for the abundance that does not come from stuff. Look for the blessings that life itself gives you. Make a conscious effort to enjoy the moments in your day, the people in your life. Choose to look at your life through the lens of abundance rather than the lens of lack.

When we focus on the lens of lack, discontentment spreads through our entire life. Sourness and a critical heart are the result… and we rob ourselves.

It takes an effort to cultivate a heart filled with gratitude, but the harvest you will reap will be well worth it. When we live thankfully we praise God.

Choose your lens carefully and deliberately today… you can determine to see life through lack or through abundance. No matter where you are in life this simple exercise will benefit your outlook and lift your eyes to a higher plain. It’s all up to you to choose.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
It is so easy to see what lacks in my life and let that become the focus of my thoughts and my attitude. Today I choose to look through the lens of abundance. I choose to see the benefits and blessings today no matter how small they may seem. Thank you for reminding me that my life does not consist of an abundance of things but rather in an abundance of moments that I can choose to find the blessings in. Help me today, by the power of Your Holy Spirit.
I pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-09-2013 10:24 AM

Growing My Faith Part 13 - Out of God's Will

by Gail Rodgers
She came to me with her tormented thoughts. Had she made a mistake? Was she now out of God’s will? We quickly turned to the Word of God to find out His perspective. When we question God’s will for us He does have guidance for us.

Listen carefully to these words from the Bible:
“In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Having a thankful heart is not optional for the believer who wants to be in God’s will. When you know nothing else of God’s will for your journey, you know this…if thankfulness has left your spirit you are out of God’s will. It’s a startling thought!
Take a minute and replay the words that have come out of your mouth in the last 24 hours. Did the majority of them fall on the critical, nagging, complaining, grumbling side? Or did they mostly reflect a thankful spirit, filled with gratitude to God and to others for even the smallest of blessings?
So often we allow our thoughts to be plagued about what God’s will is for us. Am I in the right location? Did I make the right decision? Am I moving in the right direction? Should I take this job or go to that school? In pursuing His will geographically we can often miss His will for our hearts.
And His will for your heart is to be thankful… thankful in all things. Not thankful for all things, but thankful in them; thankful that He is there to be your strength, your guide, your deliverer and the one who will bring joy into your heart.
In the process of maintaining a thankful heart we are more sensitive to hear His direction in the other matters of life too. Today is a fresh page, ask His Holy Spirit to change you. Ask Him to help you live within His will today by being thankful. Ask Him to continue to direct your paths in the way He wants you to go.
Living with a thankful heart will bring new horizons to your life. It’s His will for you!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
It is often so hard to be thankful. Forgive me for allowing complaining and grumbling to surface in my heart. Help me today, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, to have a thankful heart. Open my eyes in new ways today to see the good things You have brought into my life. Help me to recognize the strength and guidance You bring into my day. Show me blessings I take for granted and help me to cultivate a thankful heart as I await Your direction in other areas of my life. Thank you for showing me Your will in this.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-10-2013 01:13 PM

Growing My Faith Part 14 - Your Heart's Desire

by Gail Rodgers
Susan believed if God would just give her the desire of her heart she would be happy. She felt like she had been wandering in the desert for so long and if this one thing would happen, she could be content.

Often life brings us times that feel much like desert wanderings. We are thirsty and tired and we want to realize the hope that is on our heart. We even know that “hope deferred makes the heart sick”.
Sometimes when we are wondering in life we feel we know just what would satisfy us…we know just what God should hurry up and do for us in order to satisfy our life.
The thing you are focusing on may satisfy for awhile. Yet it will not meet the deep longing in your soul. God’s presence is the only answer to that need within you. He created you with that need for Him. He is what fills it. He is the one to put your hope in.
“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him who is the health of my countenance and my God.” Psalm 42:11
To hope first in God means to seek His presence. So often, when the desire of our heart consumes us, we neglect His presence. We blame Him for our unfulfilled hope. We leave His Word unread and our prayers are simply wish lists to God and we want Him to hurry.
If your hope is growing thin and the desire of your heart continues to be unfulfilled, turn your attention to His presence instead. Take some time to ask Him to speak to you through His Word. Recount His faithfulness in your past. Pour out your heart to Him. Praise Him. Tell Him your disappointments. Ask His forgiveness where you need to. And listen. As you draw near to God, He promises to draw near to you. His presence will refresh you.
Commit your hopes and dreams to God and leave them with Him. Then begin seeking His presence with the same energy you sought your particular desire. It may sound trite to you now but the result will amaze you. Our God is a God of surprises and He wants us first to experience Him! Make the change today. He waits to bless you in His presence.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You are everything I need. Help me to believe that and to move toward experiencing that in a deeper way today. Forgive me for focusing all my energy on my unfulfilled wishes. Help me today to seek You with a new desire. Bring me into Your presence and refresh me.
In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 11-11-2013 09:43 AM

Growing My Faith Part 15 - Do You Know How Much You are Loved

by Gail Rodgers
I was amazed at the view below me. The vast expanse of ocean seemed to stretch on forever. Here and there a sand laced island broke the endless blue. From the airplane window I watched as the sun danced on the rolling waves.

A song learned in my childhood suddenly played across my mind.
“If we with ink the ocean fill and were the skies of parchment made;
Were every stalk on earth a quill and everyman a scribe by trade…
To write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry,
Nor could the scroll contain the whole though stretched from sky to sky.”
From my vantage point in the sky I was reminded of our amazing God and His endless love for each one of us. If that vast expanse below me were ink it would not be enough to write of His love.
God’s Word reminds us that the Lord said,:
“... Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn you.” Jeremiah 31:3
Do you know today how much you are loved? Do you know God’s love for you is measureless and strong? Do you believe it includes you… right where you are right now? Never doubt God’s love for you.
So many people have no knowledge of the loving, personal God that calls their name. Be reminded today of how very much God loves you. Carry that knowledge in your heart today in a fresh way and be amazed by it. Give it away to those in your path. Thank Him for it right now and live as a treasured child of the Father today.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that the even if the ocean were ink, it would never be enough to write Your love for me. What an amazing fact! Help me today to live in the knowledge of how very much You love me. Help me never to doubt Your goodness toward me. Give me Your strength to handle the things in my life that I do not understand right now. And help me to live today as Your treasured child.