Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   FOOD FOR THOUGHT - OA OCTOBER (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958)

MajestyJo 10-01-2014 02:23 AM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT - OA OCTOBER

Quote:

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Being True

Without rigorous honesty, we do not recover from compulsive overeating. We need to be honest about what we eat and honest about how we feel. In the past, we covered up pain with sugar frosting and tried to drown our inadequacies in carbohydrates. The time has come to deal with truth.

Alone, we are not perceptive enough to see the truth, nor strong enough to bear it. It is through our Higher Power and the OA fellowship that we are able to become true to the best that is in us. We admit that we have been living falsely, and we turn over our muddled lives so that God may straighten them out. His spirit is truth, and the light of that truth is what we need for our recovery.

Our Higher Power shows us how to be true step by step, as we are ready to progress. Each day we become more in touch with our real selves and each day our strength increases. Being true sets us free from compulsive overeating and free from the false values, hopes, and expectations, which have inhibited us.

Lead me into truth.
Just for today, I ask that I have self-honesty, without the justification and rationalization of my addiction that allows me to cover up my habits with denial.

MajestyJo 10-02-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Power of Faith

A very small amount of faith is all that is required to begin the OA program. Hearing the stories of those who have changed and found new life gives us faith in the program. Coming to the limit of our resources makes us willing to try believing in a Higher Power, or at least acting as if we believed.

Sometimes we resist believing because deep down we do not want to change. When we honestly want to stop eating compulsively more than we want anything else, we will be given the necessary faith.

Faith grows as we work the program. As we see results, we are encouraged to keep trying in spite of setbacks. When we are able to stop eating compulsively through OA and our Higher Power, we come to believe that we can succeed in other areas of life, as well. Faith spreads to include other accomplishments, which before had seemed impossible. Through the power of faith, we are able to become all that God intends us to be.

May our faith grow daily.
When my faith waivers, it is because I forget to ask and do my part.

MajestyJo 10-03-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Friday, October 3, 2014

Being Committed

Success comes with commitment. We cannot maintain abstinence, or a marriage, or a profession, or anything else without being committed to it. Genuine commitment is the attitude required of us if we are to benefit from OA. The program is not something we pick up and put down when we feel like it. If abstinence is not the most important thing in our lives, we will not be able to maintain it.

Sharing our commitment out loud, with another person, reinforces it. We need to stay in contact with our OA friends. It is during the busy times that we especially need to remember our priorities. A phone call plugs us in to the group strength, which sustains our individual efforts.

The physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits, which come to us every day as we abstain and work the Twelve Steps, are what nourish us. Being committed to the OA program is our strength and our recovery.

Make firm my commitment to Your way.
The program doesn't work without commitment. As it says in AA's Big Book, half measures avails you nothing. What good is one foot in the door and the other one outside.

What good is eating a healthy meal and dinner and raiding the refrigerator at night? Commitment is honesty!!!

MajestyJo 10-04-2014 02:44 AM

Quote:

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Friendship

Through this program, we learn that we have choices. Not only can we choose what we will eat and what we will do, but also we can choose our friends. As we become honest, unaddicted people, we are able to relate to each other on a level of mutuality and admiration rather than out of dependency and fear. We gain the self-confidence to choose those with whom we enjoy spending time and sharing, rather than slavishly catering to anyone who will notice us.

Friends in OA have a special bond, since we share a common problem and a common solution. By putting principles before personalities, we avoid dependency and childish demands. Though we love and support each other, we do not cling together, since we are each dependent on a Higher Power. Our friends give us the gift of themselves, which shows us who we are.

Thank You for friendship.
It sure makes a difference when you have a support group to help you when you are going through rough times. It is especially helpful to have a friend and/or a sponsor, or a sponsor and a friend, to go through things with. You don't have a person to get one opinion and another person to have another opinion, and then you chose the person, who tells you what you want to hear. It is good to get input, but the decision has to be yours. Friendships can be spoiled by comparing instead of identifying. Take the person for who she/he is, not who you would have them be.

MajestyJo 10-05-2014 01:30 AM

Quote:

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Being Before Doing

What we are comes before what we do. In order to produce good fruit, the tree has to be a good tree. If we are not whole, integrated, and in touch with our Higher Power, and ourselves the actions that we take will not be satisfying.

For us compulsive overeaters, being abstinent is more important than anything we do. When we are abstinent, all things are possible. We still have to make choices, deal with frustration and conflict, and accept some defeats, but we are coping with reality rather than escaping.

The best things that we do are those, which our Higher Power does through us. Our role is to be ready and available, a sharpened tool which He may use. Often we do not see the ultimate results of our actions. We trust that what we do will be acceptable and according to His will.

May I be what You intend.
Love this! In order to give, we have to become a giver. In order to be honest, we have to become honest. In order to eat healthy, I have to be willing to want to be healthy and willing to make healthy choices. I believe there is a saying that you can't put something healthy and good into something that is not 'healthy' because it gets absorbed by the rot! Not a very pretty picture, but unfortunately vry true.

As my sponsor said, "You need to clean up your body, mind, and spirit, not that kind of spirit."

http://angelwinks.net/images/animated/animated211.gif

MajestyJo 10-06-2014 05:44 AM

Quote:

Monday, October 6, 2014

Staying with God

God never forsakes us; we forsake Him. We become so involved in our concerns and activities that we forget to open our eyes and our hearts to His presence. We may be physically abstinent, but still allow food to have the most important place in our lives. If our Higher Power is not at the center of our lives, we will find it difficult (if not impossible) to be emotionally abstinent.

Emotional binges occur when we wander away from our Higher Power into self-centered preoccupation. Without His control, we lose our serenity. There will always be cause of conflict and frustration in our daily lives. How we handle these situations depends on our spiritual condition.

By ourselves, we cannot manage our own lives. Our behavior can be insane. It is through the Power greater than ourselves that we are led into order, sanity, and recovery. To stay with this Power is our salvation.

May we not forsake You.
God doesn't go away, we do. What came to mind was the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4a_1UhwgFU

MajestyJo 10-07-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Old Anxieties

The causes of our past anxieties may no longer be operative. Compulsive eating behavior, however, brings back these anxieties in full force. Our weight may be normal, but we are never safe from the danger of personality disintegration brought on by a return, however slight, to compulsive overeating habits.

If we are to maintain our sanity and our sobriety, we must continue to abstain completely from all patterns of thinking and behavior associated with overeating. We have become new people. Daily we grow stronger and freer from old fears and anxieties. The new behavior, which gives us this new freedom, is abstinence. Without abstinence, we will again be overwhelmed and incapacitated by irrational fear and anxiety.

To be alive is to experience a certain amount of anxiety. We will never be completely rid of all fear. As long as we are abstaining, however, and relying on our Higher Power instead of ourselves, we will be given the confidence and serenity we need.

I turn over to You my anxieties.
Quote:

We will never be completely rid of all fear. As long as we are abstaining, however, and relying on our Higher Power instead of ourselves, we will be given the confidence and serenity we need.

There are healthy fears, they are manageable with God at our sides when we walk in faith and stay clean and sober. Sobriety is clean and sober and I look at my food addiction the same way as I did my alcohol abuse. I didn't have soundness of mind when I used food to deal with my feelings and issues at hand. The thoughts of more were applicable to food, pills, alcohol, attention, etc. always feeling like I never had enough.

Fear is a normal feel, it is how we handle it that makes the difference. Eating a carton of ice cream or a bag of chips is not the solution. God answers knee-mail.

MajestyJo 10-08-2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Learning from Mistakes

We can learn from our mistakes so that we do not have to make the same ones over and over again. If a particular attitude or situation consistently makes it difficult for us to follow our food plan, then that attitude or situation needs to be changed. Slips do not just happen. They indicate that something is wrong with our program and that we have not yet learned what we need to know about ourselves.

Being aware of the circumstances, which make us vulnerable to overeating, helps us to be prepared for temptation and to find ways to avoid it wherever possible. If there are certain foods, which we cannot resist, thy onen we should not have those foods available. If trying to do too much makes us tired and emotionally upset, then we need to be less ambitious and learn to delegate responsibility. Compulsive overeating or emotional bingeing indicates that we are not living in a way, which satisfies our basic needs.

Lord, may we learn from our mistakes.
Had a wee smile when I saw this, I thought, "You don't have my memory."

One thing I found that with recovery, when I go to a meeting, everything is repeated, and if I listen, the words are there, and I am reminded and I don't have to rely on my own shortcomings.

When I turn my day over to my Higher Power, the words and thoughts are given to me, and if I am in tune with my God and living in the moment and not using things to escape reality, then I will learn and not have to repeat the old, and the new will be a natural part of my being.

MajestyJo 10-09-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Abstinence, Not Punishment

By abstaining from compulsive overeating, we are doing ourselves the biggest favor imaginable. We are literally saving our lives, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We should never think of abstinence as punishment. Eating too much food and the wrong kind of food was the real punishment.

Each day we plan three attractive meals consisting of foods, which we enjoy. We do not exaggerate our efforts to make the meals enjoyable, since we do not want to reactivate our former obsession with food. At the same time, we choose foods, which appeal to us and do not punish ourselves with boring, unappetizing menus.

The refined sugars and carbohydrates with which we rewarded ourselves in the past are no longer a reward but poison to our systems. Overeating any food punishes us through loss of both control and peace of mind. We maintain abstinence from compulsive overeating in order to take care of ourselves and feel good.

By Your grace, may I maintain abstinence.
So much of recovery is about changing our attitude. When we look at not eating our favourite foods as a healthy choice instead of punishment and a way of getting back at us or an act of revenge, we can heal.

This morning is a good example. I was hurting and I realized I was back playing the martyr, I had to do these darn readings, so I did all the greetings to everyone, instead of going right to what is important. The reading are a backbone of many people's daily recovery, and I was being a smuck! For that I am sorry, yet what goes around comes around. I got a head ache, I realized I hadn't had breakfast, I hadn't taken morning medication which has my Metformin for my Diabetis and my Ramipril which I think is for my blood pressure. So I had to take a time out and eat and now I have to wait for my head to clear, and hopefully what comes off my fingers is God's Will not mine. I am going on faith because I said the Serenity Prayer.

MajestyJo 10-10-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Friday, October 10, 2014

Powerless

I am powerless over food. By myself, I am unable to control what I eat or manage my life. Thanks to OA, I have found a Higher Power by which I am learning to live a new life.

So that this Higher Power may live in me, I surrender myself. No longer do I try to live by my own efforts; no longer do I try by myself to control what I eat. Since I am powerless over food and cannot manage my life, I give myself to God as I understand Him and ask that He live through me.

When I surrender, my Higher Power takes over. Then, instead of being weak and powerless, I become strong through His strength. So very simple. I wonder why it takes so long to learn? The only requirement is, in the words of T.S. Eliot, "a condition of complete simplicity, costing not less than everything."

May I remember that without You I am powerless.
Something I must never forget. My God is only a prayer away. A thought is a prayer.

MajestyJo 10-11-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Feeling Deprived

If I allow myself to feel deprived, sooner or later I will overeat or react with negative emotions. I am a human being, a child of God with the same rights as all of His other children. I have needs and preferences, which, if denied and repressed, will surface in a destructive way.

If those around me are eating a special meal and I eat leftovers, which I do not particularly like, I will feel deprived. I may become bad tempered and I may overeat later to compensate. I do not need to have what others are eating, if it is not on my food plan, but my meal should be pleasing to me. I do not need to have and do what everyone else has and does, but I can recognize my desires and preferences and satisfy them when doing so does not injure anyone else.

By overeating, I deprived myself of good health, peace of mind, self-respect, and an attractive appearance. By abstaining, I am making amends to myself for the deprivation. By working the program, I am learning how to satisfy my legitimate needs.

I trust You to supply my needs.
Just love that feeling deprived feeling, sure to take you to that next morsel every time. Doesn't matter whether it is wet, dry, powdered, and for me, I use to say, the flesh and blood variety, because I would look to a man and his attention to make me feel better, along with some chocolate. If he caused the deprived feeling, then it was more chocolate or some wine to go with it. I am so hard done by don't you know. Look at what HE DID TO ME! Nothing about me putting myself in the position to be deprived, looking for him to fix me, when it was my job in the first place.

MajestyJo 10-12-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Moving Forward

Time past is gone forever, and we can never go back to it. Even our disease progresses forward. We cannot expect to control it by a return to measures, which may have worked for a time in the past. Those methods eventually failed, and trying them again will only bring us to the same point of failure.

The only way to avoid repetitious failure is to move forward creatively as our Higher Power leads us. Each day is a new creation, and each day brings new lessons and opportunities. We build on what is past, but we do not need to repeat it.

Moving forward involves risking what is unknown. The old, familiar rut, depressing as it is, is a known quantity. Moving out of it requires that we have courage and that we trust in One who knows and cares. To move on, we must act. Insights do not produce growth until they are accompanied by specific actions.

May I risk new actions as You lead me forward.
This reminds me of what a friend said yesterday about repetition and same old, same old. It was his old grouse and I didn't say anything. Yet it is up to us, to take that risk and broaden our horizons, step out of that same old same old, strengthen our boundaries, and take a step forward and allow ourselves to become vulnerable. Forget what was and what had been, and remember that our God is with us, and we are armed with faith and the tools of recovery, and where ever our God takes us, He will guide and direct us through it. I didn't need bars, I was a prisoner of my own mind for years. I didn't like so it wasn't any good. I was fearful of tasting and of trying, I tried it once and didn't like it. I tried it once and got sick, never going to touch it again, and fear shackled us. So many scenarios, that with a little bit of imagination, a little bit of hope and investigation into new things and alternatives, we can get out of an old rut and try new things that are healthy.

MajestyJo 10-13-2014 04:03 AM

Quote:

Monday, October 13, 2014

Rigorous Honesty

As we work the OA program, we find that we cannot be rigorously honest about what we are eating unless we are rigorously honest about our other actions as well. Once our Higher Power takes charge of our lives, a general housecleaning occurs. Gradually, we see that the attitudes and activities, which undermine our integrity, have to go.

The housecleaning process can be painful. It involves facing aspects of ourselves, which we would prefer to remain hidden - our dependency, pride, selfishness, and avarice. Sex and money are often areas where our attitudes and practices need revision. What we are doing is shifting from an ego-centered to a God-centered orientation, and the shift is not always smooth.

Rigorous honesty shows up harmful relationships for what they are. It illumines our motives, which are not always the best. The love and care of our Higher Power support us as our weaknesses are exposed. Through His healing power, we are strengthened and made whole.

Grant me the ability to practice rigorous honesty in all areas of my life.
The meaning of rigorous honesty: If it didn't hurt, you need to dig deeper and peel back a few more layers of the onion. I was told that recovery was peeling back the layers of the onion to find the real you. I am thinking now I was a dunderhead, but knowing I had Fibromyalgia, I probably did think of it back then and forgot it, bit had the thought NOW, why the onion? Because it stinks and represents all the stinking thinking and all the crap buried under the skin and all the lies, half truths, the lies by omission, and the ones that got pained up to look pretty you have trouble recognizing them. Self truth, not the ones you told to others but the ones you told yourself.

MajestyJo 10-14-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Surrender

Continuing to take the first three Steps enables us to become increasingly surrendered to our Higher Power. Our goal is to let our egotistical selves be dissolved in a greater Self, so that the Higher Power lives through us. The loss of ego frightens us and attacks our illusions of self-sufficiency.

Here is where we can be grateful for our disease. If we were not convinced of our helplessness in the face of our obsession with food, we would not be desperate enough to surrender to a Higher Power. Only after we have tried and failed over and over again in our battle with compulsive overeating are we willing to accept the OA program.

We surrender in order to stop eating compulsively. We gain infinitely more than we had expected. Not only does our Higher Power give us abstinence from compulsive overeating, but also more than that He gives us Himself. No longer do we live as an isolated, weak self, but in us lives the Power of the universe.

May we surrender completely to Your power.
We wonder why we keep failing and we say the program doesn't work, when in fact we don't work the program. We try to God's Work for Him/Her, if we even given it to the God of our understanding in the first place. We may go through the motions, but in truth we truly don't let go and surrender.

MajestyJo 10-15-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cutting Cords

Often we are bound in unhealthy ways to parents, husbands, wives, children, and friends. When dependency and manipulation are masked as love, it is difficult to cut the cords that bind us. By ourselves we are unable to break free.

Listening to other compulsive overeaters helps us to see our own situation and ourselves more objectively. Working the steps builds emotional and spiritual maturity. Abstaining from compulsive overeating gives us the perception we need to see unhealthy relationships for what they are. Our growing self-respect motivates us to make changes.

We ate because we were too weak to face our problems. Now that we see where we have been manipulated and where we have manipulated others, we need the strength to cut the cords of unhealthy dependency. This strength comes from our Higher Power. Since we recognize our complete dependency on Him, we are no longer weakened by pseudo dependencies on those close to us. We learn to relate to them positively, out of God's strength rather than our own weakness.

By Your power, may I cut the cords that bind me.
This is something that we need to keep remembering, that cord has many roots to many things. We use it to justify and rationalize a lot of things, especially the one about "that is how my mother did it." It applies to many things and stretches to many things and is applicable to many body memories.

MajestyJo 10-16-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Admitting Wrongs

Step Ten reminds us to continue to take daily inventory and to promptly admit when we are wrong. By admitting our mistake out loud to the person we have harmed, we clear away bad feelings and guilt. The relationship is healed, and we are able to put the error behind us. Admitting that we are wrong helps us even more than the person we have injured.

Since it usually takes two people to disrupt a relationship, the entire blame may not be ours. Admitting our share of wrong, however, relieves us of guilt and opens the way to reconciliation.

Being able to apologize simply and sincerely means that we are not bound by pride and egotism. We do not always have to be right. By accepting our human fallibility, we are free to be ourselves, to make mistakes, to correct them, and to make amends.

Admitting wrongs keeps us honest with ourselves, with others, and with our Higher Power. We stay anchored in the real world and we practice healthy humility.

May I not be too proud to admit I am wrong.
Hopefully, some of that has come across in my previous postings. They may have been labelled as JoAnne's things. ;)

MajestyJo 10-17-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Friday, October 17, 2014

Seeking the Best

We will never be satisfied with less than the best. When we were overeating, we may have settled for less than we were capable of being and achieving, but we were not happy about it. There is something in each of us that hungers for maximum growth and development.

When we stop drugging ourselves with food, we become aware of new possibilities and areas of growth. By controlling our disease, we release potential that had been buried under our obsession. As we come to know our Higher Power through this program, our appetite for the best is reawakened. Though we realize we will never achieve perfection, we are challenged to be and do the best that we can, just for today.

The best force there is directs lives that are committed to the care of God. Only by dedication to knowing and doing His will is our search satisfied.

We seek You, Lord.
Food became our god. The God of our understanding is all powerful and able to abstain us. The Bible says, "Thou shall not put any other 'gods' before me." Many times we places ourselves in that position, only to fail, and wonder why, not realizing that that it could all be put under the label of 'control' and the unwillingness to let go and let God. Seek God, and leave it with Him instead of taking it home with us. :(

MajestyJo 10-18-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Relying on God

As compulsive overeaters, we relied on food to pick us up, calm us down, console us, excite us, help us, and sustain us. Since food was inadequate to do all of these things, we had to eat more and more until we became physically and emotionally addicted.

Recovery from our disease requires that dependency on food be replaced by dependency on a Higher Power. Only God, as each of us understands Him, is capable of supporting us at all times and in all situations. Food simply will not work. If we are not controlled by our Higher Power, we will be controlled by our addiction to compulsive overeating.

At first, we find it difficult to rely on a Power we cannot see. Our materialistic orientation makes us distrustful of the things that are of the spirit. Gradually, we come to believe as we witness the work of God through OA. We see evidence of His activity in our own lives, and we sense the peace and security that He gives. Reliance on God is our strength.

I depend on You for recovery.
Amen!

MajestyJo 10-19-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Sunday, October 19, 2014

To Abstain Is to Live

If we do not abstain from compulsive overeating, we do not live - we merely survive. Without abstinence, joy and creativity fade and we are left with only the effort of getting from one day to the next. We remember the despair of living without the OA program, and we are grateful that we have been given a reprieve from our former misery.

Abstaining is what we do each day in order to live the life our Higher Power intends us to have. There are good days and bad days and mediocre days. As long as we abstain from compulsive overeating, we are able to accept our passing moods and the events of each day with inner serenity. We make progress in our activities and in our understanding. We are alive to the possibilities of each moment.

To abstain requires that we choose a long-term satisfaction rather than a short-lived indulgence. To abstain is to walk with our Higher Power in the way He shows us.

Thank You for the power to abstain.
When I use other things to obtain from eating, other than going to my God and asking for His Strength and Courage, I am often depending on other things like our favourite TV show, a new book, and old book that once gave us that feel good feeling, a new movie, our significant other, our children, our job, and the list can go on and on. There is nothing wrong with having these things in our life, but it our mental attitude toward them, and are we using them to escape our reality and is our disease and are we acting out in our disease.

MajestyJo 10-20-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Monday, October 20, 2014

Physical Restraint

Self-control is hard work. When the urge comes to do something, which we know is not in our best interest, we physically restrain ourselves from performing the destructive action. This often requires hard, physical effort.

We may want to eat when we should not be eating, we may want to lash out in anger, we may want to retreat from a difficult task, we may want to continue a harmful relationship. Whatever the urge, if we know deep down that it is contrary to God's will for us, we need to control it and not act on it.

Time spent with our Higher Power each day builds the strength and integrity, which can control our destructive urges. Alone, we are powerless, but with the OA program supporting us we find strength we never had before. With abstinence comes the clarity of mind necessary to evaluate our urges and desires.

May I have the moral strength to physically restrain myself when necessary.
This is what I have had to do. I tend to be gung ho about something, and I am off like a dirty shirt, often with out a plan, and fly by the seat of my pants, and figure, "God will lead, when in fact, my God is sitting back shaking His head and saying, "Tsk, tsk! there she goes again, didn't she learn her lesson the last time."

MajestyJo 10-21-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

New Memories

If certain times of the year and certain activities are associated in our minds with overeating, we need to create new memories to blot out the old ones. If we are hung up on past loves, hates, and hurts, we need to let go of them so that we can live in the present.

Old eating habits keep alive old wounds and frustrations. Even after we have maintained abstinence for a significant length of time, we may be troubled by unresolved conflicts from the past. The fact that we are abstaining from compulsive overeating gives us a chance to see the problems more clearly and to then walk away from them when we have done all that we can do to resolve them.

The past and the future are in the hands of our Higher Power. If we work our program now and live the best we can today, we are creating good memories, which will sustain us in the days to come.

Take charge of my memories. Lord.
Sometimes we forget we have body memories too!

MajestyJo 10-22-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Healing

God, as understood by each of us, has the Power to heal our bodies, minds, and hearts. Once we realize that we are sick, we can open ourselves to the Power, which will affect our recovery. As we delve more deeply into the OA program, we see that it is not only the body, which suffers from the disease of compulsive overeating. Mind and emotions are also muddled and in need of God's cleansing.

The healing process can be painful. Sometimes we have to get worse in order to get better. Sometimes we have to be more devastated by overeating, by pride, by fear and selfishness before we are willing to turn ourselves over to our Higher Power for healing. We do not make the effort to work the Twelve Steps until we see how desperately ill we are.

God heals, but He requires our cooperation and effort. The extent of our recovery is determined by the intensity of our desire to get well. When our desire is focused on the source of health and held there steadily, we can become whole.

We pray for healing.
I can't, God can!

MajestyJo 10-23-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Tomorrow Is Another Day

As compulsive overeaters; we can be tormented by the urge to finish everything right now, today. That was the way we used to eat, and it may still be the way we try to operate in other areas of behavior. It is possible to exchange our addiction to food for an addiction to work or perfection.

Trying to do everything today is just another example of self will run riot. We are not super people and we cannot perform miracles. It is our Higher Power who makes possible our accomplishments, and His work is done slowly and gradually. God never expects more of us than we are able to deliver. It is our own pride that entices us to tackle the impossible.

As long as we are alive, our work will not be finished. Each day we are given new tasks to do and new experiences to enjoy. What we do not complete today can be continued tomorrow, according to the will of our Higher Power.

I leave tomorrow's tasks for tomorrow.
Use to use this phrase to procrastinate. I can also use the statement to help not beat myself up and overdue and remember to not over due and remember the slogan, "Easy does it, but do it!"

I will to will Thy Will, not mine be done! Trying to make things happen doesn't make it happen any faster, in fact it is often a sure way to have everything collapse all around you because you haven't built on a firm foundation.

MajestyJo 10-24-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Friday, October 24, 2014

Accepting God's Will

Disappointments and hurts can send us into an orgy of self-pity if we are not willing to accept them as part of our Higher Power's plan. We do not understand why we must suffer disappointments and frustrations, but trusting God means that we accept our share of this world's pain.

When we look back on former disappointments, we are often able to see that what we so desperately wanted at the time would not have been the best thing for us. Our vision and judgment are limited. Faith that God is managing our lives according to His purposes can relieve us of unnecessary hurt and frustration.

To accept God's will is not to passively absorb all that happens to us like an inert sponge. It is to actively seek knowledge of His plan for our lives and to purposefully work according to the knowledge we receive. Acceptance is positive and cooperative.

Your will is what I seek to accept.
Again, I need to pray for the willingness to be willing.

MajestyJo 10-25-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Abstaining from Harmful Relationships

Habit sometimes locks us into relationships, which are not in our best interest. It is easy to mistake dependency for love. When we stop overeating compulsively, we can evaluate our attachments to other people with greater clarity and perception than was possible when we continually escaped into food.

Our OA friends act as sounding boards for us as we try to sort out the healthy from the unhealthy relationships in our lives. We may find that for our continued growth we need to move away from old emotional entanglements, which are hampering our progress with the program. Abstaining from a harmful relationship can be as difficult at first as abstaining from compulsive overeating! The same physical restraint is necessary to keep ourselves from following old habit patterns.

By taking Step Three, we make all of our relationships with other people subject to the will of our Higher Power. When God comes first, other loves fall into their proper places.

Show me how to love.
When I came into recovery, I realized I didn't know what love was. All I knew was what love was not. So much of my life had been comprised of old tapes and abuse. I was told, "Let us love you until you can learn to love yourself." The only relationship you should be in, especially in your first year is with your Higher Power, your sponsor and yourself.

MajestyJo 10-26-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Food Is Not Fun

We have used eating as a form of recreation and have looked for excitement in food. For years, we have associated food with fun. What we need to remember constantly is that uncontrolled eating is no longer fun for us, but a trip into anguish.

All of us have unpleasant memories of painful binges, which began as attempts to experience pleasure through a small indulgence. We need to put these memories to work for us by associating them with the first compulsive bite. The idea that more and better food will bring us fun and pleasure is an illusion. We know this in our heads, but we need to feel it in our guts.

Food is nourishment for our bodies - nothing more. To experience pleasure with our minds and hearts and bodies, we open ourselves to richer interpersonal relationships, to aesthetic experiences, to sports and hobbies and work well done. Abstinence from compulsive overeating liberates us to enjoy the activities, which are fun.

Thank You for the fun and joy that abstinence brings.
This reminds me that recovery is about a change in attitude. I need to change how I look at things and my attitude toward them. Not what is in it for me, but look at it and say, "Is this good for me."

MajestyJo 10-27-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Monday, October 27, 2014

A Good Meal

A good meal for us is an abstinent meal. Fancy frills and gourmet delights are not good if they threaten our abstinence. Because we have over emphasized food in the past, we tend to be too concerned about what we will have for dinner - and lunch - and breakfast.

It is a relief to come to the conclusion that whatever we have to eat is good if it fits our food plan. We do not have to spend a lot of time and energy deciding what we will eat today. If what we choose does not turn out to be especially pleasing, we are free to choose something else tomorrow.

Most of us are familiar with the basic principles of good nutrition. By abstaining from compulsive overeating, we are giving our bodies the best possible treatment. By avoiding refined sugars and starches, we eliminate empty calories and choose those foods with the protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary for good health. Whatever we eat, the abstinent meal is a good meal.

Thank You for good, abstinent meals.
When I see the words "abstinent meals" I get a picture of a fancy gourmet meal that you see on the cooking channel." It looks "Ladeeda" but always figured there wasn't much there, all fancy, and almost too pretty to eat and thought more before I even took a bite.

They say attraction rather than promotion, but it didn't work for me, I was a meat and potatoes kind of gal having been raised on a farm, and I wanted my meat, lots of potatoes swimming in gravy and/or butter. The veggies were there too because we grew them, but the farther I got from the farm, the more difficult it was for them to find their way to my plate.

I have trouble eating bread that is full of bird seed and veggies that look like grass that I use to feed the cows.

What I found it was the portion size and making healthy choices. Most things don't come out of a box or a can and if they do, reading labels as to the content. Eating fresh foods and as they say on the Food Network, support your local farmer. An ex-boyfriend gave me heck because I use to go to produce sections to see what was marked down at the back of the store.

Check those food that are white that turn to sugar like corn, that can raise your blood sugar. A treat is good, but don't spoil yourself rotten.

Remember that our disease is four-fold. What kind of food are we food are we feeding that part of our body?

MajestyJo 10-28-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Food Is Not Home

Breaking abstinence may be an attempt to go home emotionally. Since we associate food, and especially certain foods, with early experience, we may turn to food when we crave the emotional support of home.

Perhaps our early home life did not provide the emotional support and security we needed, causing us to attach a false significance to the food, which we were given. The habit of turning to food and eating as a substitute for love, acceptance, and security may be deeply ingrained in our psyche. We may have come to depend on food instead of people to satisfy our emotional needs.

The problem is, of course, that food is not a satisfactory substitute for love and acceptance. However much we eat, the emotional satisfaction will be only temporary and soon disintegrate into despair and self-hatred. The home we crave can best be built here and now by working the OA program and loving the people our Higher Power gives us to love today.

May I realize that food is not home.
Like that last line. How often we came home to the refrigerator. It wasn't about home and our loved ones, it was the refrigerator and the cupboards and what was in it that occupied our minds. What was there, what wasn't there, and and left very little space for anything else.

Food no longer has to rent space in our heads.

MajestyJo 10-29-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Truth

Overeating covered up the truth. We fed our illusions with food, which harmed our bodies. The illusions grew bigger and stronger until our minds were fog bound by the illusions instead of illuminated by truth.

Giving up our illusions is frightening and painful, but in the long run it is less difficult than trying to live with them and by them. It is impossible to get rid of our illusions by ourselves. The Higher Power leads us to truth by means of the Twelve Steps and the OA program. Abstinence from compulsive overeating is necessary in order to stop feeding our illusions and let the truth come through.

Knowing the truth sets us free. We no longer have to cling to old dependencies and self-defeating habits. Our Higher Power gives us as much truth as we are willing to work for and accept. We are not overwhelmed, but are gradually able to assimilate the reality of our situation. By accepting reality and refraining from using food as an escape, we are able to live with truth instead of illusions.

Lead me by the Power of truth.
As the saying goes, "The truth with set you free."

MajestyJo 10-30-2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Accent on the Present

When we were obsessed with food, we were often obsessed with the past as well. We would rehash old hurts and resentments, old fears and desires. Our dreams, along with our waking hours, may have been filled with people from our past. Such preoccupation with the past prevented us from focusing on the present.

By realizing that compulsive overeating is a nonstop trip back to the hurts of the past, we become more determined to maintain abstinence. If we are to be alive in the present, we need to let go of the past. What is over is over and cannot be replayed except in our minds.

What we can do is turn our memories over to our Higher Power for healing. The creative Spirit, which is not bound by time, can take away old hurts and resentments. Then we are free to deal with the present and concentrate on doing God's will for us now, today. Living in the present keeps us in touch with the Power, which restores us to sanity.

May I remember that You are always now.
Like this, keep telling myself, you had dinner, you had a busy day, you should be tired, it doesn't matter you are in pain and you overworked your feet, you should be sleeping.

This is now. I can't sleep, so why not do the readings if I can't sleep. If I don't sleep until later, I will miss out on breakfast, so best I have a muffin. I had dinner at 4 p.m. so it is normal to be hungry now at almost 4 a.m. and quit trying to fit life in and force things to go where they should be and just put them where they are happening in today. Duh!

MajestyJo 10-31-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Friday, October 31, 2014

Gifts of the Spirit

Through the OA program, we come to desire spiritual gifts as well as material necessities. Experience shows us that serenity is priceless and something to be desired more than unnecessary food. Courage, wisdom, faith, hope, love, and humility - these are all spiritual gifts, which come to us from our Higher Power as we abstain and work our program.

As we receive these gifts of the spirit, we are able to share them with others. Giving them away to our families and friends ensures that we will receive them more abundantly ourselves. We come to realize that a small gift of time and attention can mean more than an expensive material present.

God's gifts are available to us whenever we are open to receive them. By abstaining from compulsive overeating, we make our spirits ready to accept their rightful gifts.

I pray that I may be ready to accept Your spiritual gifts.
Those spiritual gifts are priceless.