Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 3 Cs (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6223)

MajestyJo 02-17-2015 11:57 PM

The 3 Cs

Those three C's- Didn't CAUSE it, can't CONTROL it, and can't CURE it are very powerful. They helped me realize my powerlessness over the disease of alcoholism and addiction.

I met someone today when I was down in the mall and we had a mini-meeting. One of the things I said to her was, "If I have to control it, it is already out of control it." She is a retired nurse and she had a difficult time with the program; because she tended to intellectualize things and look at things from a religious point of view runs a muck with the spiritual aspect of recovery.

Just accepting the fact that it is an incurable disease and that we are giving a daily reprieve through the Grace of the God of our understanding and the gift of the 12 Steps. We can't control our drinking, and yet we can change our thinking, our actions and behaviours by working and applying those 12 Steps to our life, whether we are the alcoholic/addict or the family and friend of same.

We didn't cause it. I can remember my mother saying, "Look at what you made me do." I didn't know that I didn't know that I didn't have the power. No one can make me do anything unless I give up my power to them. Once I pick up that drink or drug, it takes over my life and every time I picked up, I lost a piece of me, so I lost power. Yet when I surrendered, reached out and asked for help, I was empowered to do what I needed to do to stay clean and sober, one day at a time. I was told that sobriety meant "Soundness of mind." That applies to all of us, "alcoholics and non-alcoholics." You can't live with an alcoholic and have soundness of mind. I am a daughter of an alcoholic, was married to an alcoholic, became an alcoholic, and have a son who is a self-alcoholic, and have had several recovering alcoholic boyfriends.

I thought I was the cause, the cure, and in control and what an illusion that was.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qckit...eeponbench.jpg

MajestyJo 05-11-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There's an old slogan (nicknamed "The Three C's") that says, "I didn't cause it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it." For me, it's a helpful one to remember, especially when people in my life are active in an addiction or are on a "dry high." It's useful in situations with non-addicts, too. Most human beings behave as they do for reasons that have little to do with us.

Original source unknonw to me, snagged from another site
This slogan I have always associated with Al-Anon. this is the first time I have ever heard the phrase 'dry high' and it struck home with me. A dry drunk, why not a dry addict.

The principles are the same. I just have to remember the person behind the disease and not take everything personal.

This is a post made in 2010

My son just left here today, and this made me think of how even though he isn't using today, he was Friday and Saturday. His energy is not good and I have to consider where he is coming from, a place of active addiction even though he isn't drunk or stoned in the moment. The thinking is there and he is quite often coming from his disease in thought and deed.

I have to look at my son and see him for who he is and remember where he is coming from and continue to pray for him, whether he wants me to or not.

MajestyJo 01-22-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Going for guilt-free play

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."

-- Mary Little

When you're tempted with a promise of pleasure, does guilt promptly spoil it for you?

For many of us, the work ethic still rules supreme. It keeps our life out of balance and our health at risk. There will always be lots of work to do. We can't wait for it to go away to enjoy ourselves.

Today, we invite you to become aware of your attitude towards rest, relaxation, pleasure and fun. When you give yourself a break, do you carry guilt through it? Deep down, do you believe that you don't deserve to have a good time, that you haven't earned a holiday? If you do discover these thoughts, send them packing.

"Guilt is the source of sorrows, the avenging fiend that follows us behind with whips and stings."

-- Nicholas Rowe

Courtesy of Higher Awareness
A long-timer shared with me that he thought that 'Guilt' took more people out than anger and resentments. He said if they aren't first, they are a close second.

I need to let it go. I didn't cause it, can't control it, and I can't cure it, so I need to let go of false responsibilities and guilt.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/generalp...ralpod1204.jpg