Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Daily Walk (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3315)

bluidkiti 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

The Daily Walk

The Daily Walk Part 1 - God’s Network

by Gail Rodgers
It was the wee hours of the morning. I sat by myself in the waiting room of the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit. Other family members were taking their turn by the bed inside.

Our plans for the week had taken a sudden, unexpected turn with one phone call. We drove through the night snowstorm to be by the bedside of a dying parent. I sat tired and restless, the magazines on the table held little interest. World news on the television felt insignificant in this moment.
The busy waiting room was almost empty now. Only two other women remained. Their conversation was easily overheard. One was reading Bible verses to the other and they were talking of God’s strength and peace in their own time of crisis.
I listened; refreshed in my own heart by the verses they shared. Finally I got up and went across to them. “I can tell you love the same Jesus I do”, I said to them. For the next little while we talked, not as strangers, but as friends. We prayed with each other and for each other in our separate situations…and our hearts were comforted.
The waiting room began to fill again. My new friends were called to speak with a doctor. As I settled back in my chair I was aware of God’s gentle care in putting His children around me. I thought of a Bible verse.
“So in Christ we who are many form one body and each member belongs to all the others.” Romans 12:5
What a thought! We, as Christians belong to one another. In this moment of crisis, God carved out a few quiet moments to allow that belonging to be experienced. His comfort and peace were so real as He allowed His children to connect so He could touch our hearts when we most needed it.
As a Christian you are a part of God’s network. You belong to other believers and they belong to you. Watch today for opportunities to be a part of God’s network. Ask Him to bring others of the family of God into your path to encourage… and to be encouraged by.
Its how He brings strength to His children so we can be comforted and encouraged and show the watching world around us that it makes such a difference to know Him!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that nothing in my day or my life goes unnoticed by You! Thank you that You have given us each other as believers. Give me a greater sense today of being a part of the family of God. Use me, in Your great network, to touch or to be touched by a brother or sister in the faith.
In Jesus strong name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-06-2014 08:53 AM

The Daily Walk Part 2 - Carried by Prayer

by Gail Rodgers
After nearly a month away from home I arrived back to find several messages from people I had not heard from in months. They said, “You’ve just been on my mind this last while and I called to tell you I have been praying for you.”

I was amazed again at the care of God! I marveled at the peace that had encompassed the last several weeks and knew we had been carried by prayer. These friends did not know that our family was in the midst of burying my father-in-law and comforting Grandma. But they had prayed…and we had felt it.
An old, blind lady once told me, “Where prayer focuses, God’s power falls.” If you feel alone today in your circumstances, know that God will be bringing you to the minds of other believers to be lifted up in prayer.
Know that those strong, persistent thoughts you have for another can often be God’s prompting you to pray for that person. Don’t worry if you haven’t been in touch or if you don’t even know what to pray. God knows! God works through our prayers and gives His Holy Spirit to pray when we don’t have the words.
“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” Romans 8:26
Be alert when someone is on your mind for no apparent reason. Pray for them. You may well be one of those called to carry that person in prayer though a difficult time. And know that God will do the same for you when you are in need. Carried by prayer…it’s one of the ways He works in the lives of His children.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You work through our prayers. Spur me on to pray for those who come unexpectedly to my mind today. Thank you that You will also bring me to the mind of others in my times of need. Help me to appreciate the wonderful privilege of praying for another even when I don’t know what to pray. How amazing that Your Spirit joins us in deep prayer. Thank you that our prayers for one another carry us when we cannot manage alone. How wonderfully You provide this strength for us, Your children.
With thanksgiving I pray in Jesus name, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-08-2014 11:12 AM

The Daily Walk Part 3 - A Safe Place to Live

by Gail Rodgers
The boxes were piled high and the Twin Otter aircraft was at the dock waiting to be loaded. We were moving south from our isolated northern location. As a bush-pilot’s wife, moving was familiar to me.

I had grown used to making our home in unconventional places… an un-modern cabin, a mobile home where the pillows froze to the wall and even in the top of a hangar.
And here I was, being asked to move again…to another unconventional place. This time the invitation came in God’s Word. It stood out to me as I read it…
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1 & 2
Oh, I already knew God and visited with Him regularly but I sensed this was different. I thought about what it might mean to take up residence in God’s shelter. Not just to have little visits there now and then, but to actually live there daily. To make His presence my dwelling place and to completely trust Him with my life.
Living there gives me the privilege of resting in His shadow every day. There I have a refuge. God is the fort around my heart and I can rest trusting in Him. Yes, this is where I want to live! You are invited to live here too. Don’t live another day out in the cold of worry and fear.
Ask Him to manage your mind and guard your heart today. As His child you have an open invitation to live here… every day.
Ask the Almighty God to take the concerns of your heart and bring peace to your soul and daily guidance to your steps. When fear or uncertainty threatens to overtake your heart, remind yourself where you live. Ask God to help you rest your worried mind. Ask Him to be the fortress around your heart, giving you peace in place of anxiousness. Ask Him to help you simply trust Him to hold you steady. It’s the safest place to live! Your Refuge!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that I can know You in a personal way. Forgive me for the times when I keep You at a distance and worry my way through my day. Thank you for Your offer of a dwelling place. A safe place to bring my heart. Today I want to feel Your presence with me. I ask You to shelter my heart and bring rest to my mind. Give me wisdom and guidance in the things that I can change in my life. Help me to trust You to keep me sheltered and calm in the things I have no control over. Help me to rest here today.
You are my Almighty God and I trust you with my life.
In Jesus strong name, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-09-2014 10:39 AM

The Daily Walk Part 4 - Fruit in Season

by Gail Rodgers
New kinds of fresh fruit began showing up on the grocery store shelves this week. Fruit that has been out of season for months is back!

The Bible says that “peace” is one of the “fruits of the Spirit”. Sometimes it feels as if that fruit goes out of season too. As the realities of war came into my living room this week via the media, I thought of that fruit of the Spirit. As the images and stories paraded across the TV screen I could feel my own sense of peace fading and I share in the anxious thoughts of many across the world.
I turned my attention to God’s Word to see again what He has to say about this fruit called peace. I discovered afresh that His peace is never out of season. His peace is one that is offered to our hearts. But how do we pick this fruit? How do we have this peace in the middle of such troubling news? Listen to what Jesus says.
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
I was reminded that His peace is a gift. It won’t be found in conventional places or in ways the world offers. It is something directed to the heart and it replaces fear and anxiousness.
This fruit is available all the time. It is never out of season. To pick this fruit, to have this peace, I need to take action. I need to ask God to quiet my heart. I need to pray for those in charge in these troubled days. I need to pray for those who suffer and for those hurt and confused and angry. I need to ask God to take the unease in my own heart and replace it with His gift of peace. I need to share the peace He gives me as I go through my day. This may mean offering to pray together with another who is worried.
Sometimes when the storm rages and the sea of life is not calm, the mighty hand of God comes in, by our invitation, and simply calms us. The peace of heart that comes from the Holy Spirit is a mystery. In the middle of the storm He brings a calm that can be explained no other way than by His divine care. We receive it in order to share it.
Ask God today for His fruit of peace in your heart and mind. Ask Him for an opportunity to share that fruit with those around you who need His peace in their heart today too.
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
Today our hearts are heavy with the reality of war in our world. Please give Your divine peace to our hearts and to our minds. Remind us to pray for others and with others as we look to You for peace in our hearts and also in our world. We ask you to be with those whose responsibilities, emotions and thoughts are overwhelmed with the weight of it all.
Grant Your strength, wisdom and Your peace in the name of Jesus we pray,
Amen.

bluidkiti 04-10-2014 10:57 AM

The Daily Walk Part 5 - Kneading Truth

by Gail Rodgers
The sticky dough gradually became firm as I kneaded in the flour. It became manageable as the flour disappeared. I couldn’t help but think that, in a similar way, God kneads His truths into my life.

Life gets sticky at times with unanswered questions and unmet needs. Our natural tendency seems to be to begin doubting our God. Our trust in Him begins to slip before we even know it.
God’s Word gives us truths that can be kneaded into our lives like flour into bread; truths that keep the consistency of our faith strong even in the midst of question marks. Listen to this promise from God to you…
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.” Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
When our own best thinking and understanding fails to eliminate the question marks from our lives, our wholehearted trust can falter. Left alone in the quandaries of life we can drift from our God, thinking He doesn’t care.
Because God knows us and understands how overwhelming life can be, He instructs us. He not only tells us to quit trying to figure everything out ourselves and to trust Him completely…but He actually tells us how.
He says to acknowledge Him in all your ways. Simply put that means to talk with Him about everything. “Lord, I don’t understand this unanswered situation in my life but today I ask you to guide my way. Today I acknowledge You as my God in whom I trust and look to You to direct my path this very day.”
And God begins to knead His truth into your life. As you acknowledge Him in every step and in every detail, your trust grows.
As your trust grows your dependence on needing to understand it all fades and quiet peace takes the place of desperate clamoring.
Inviting Him into all your ways throughout the day moves you from faltering faith to whole hearted trust and to an expectation of His promise to make the path straight.
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
I confess my trust in Your guidance falters with the unanswered questions in my life. Forgive my doubt. Help me to quit striving so hard to figure it all out and to simply invite you today into each thought, each conversation and each decision. I acknowledge You as my trustworthy God and the guide of my life.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-11-2014 11:47 AM

The Daily Walk Part 6 - Choosers

by Gail Rodgers
The radio played as I drove home sifting through the thoughts of my day. Suddenly a quote caught my attention. I missed who it was credited to but it was good. “No one is born a winner or looser, but each one is born a chooser”.

“How true”, I thought as I maneuvered through the traffic. I was a chooser…in every area of my life. Oh, I may not always choose my circumstances, but I would always be in charge of choosing my responses to those circumstances.
God gently nudged my heart and I began to think about some of the thoughts I was choosing to entertain about circumstances in my day. He reminded me that a response in life always begins with a thought. Some of my thoughts toward people and circumstances in my day were rather negative, critical and impatient. Left alone these thoughts would surely spiral me down and impact my responses in the same way. The choice was mine. God’s Word came to my mind.
“We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5b
God is so good to remind us that we need to take stock of our thoughts. Thoughts are the seeds in our lives that result in actions and responses. We choose to let them stay or to take them captive and throw them out.
I realized the events of the day were sowing seeds in my mind and heart of things I did not want growing in my life. God used that quote on the radio to remind me that I was a chooser. I knew the kind of responses I wanted in my life and these thoughts would not get me there.
God’s Holy Spirit is our helper. He draws us on to be what we, in our own strength, cannot be. He helps us toss aside the seeds that would bear sour fruit if left unattended.
Where are your thoughts today? Be aware of what you are choosing to dwell on from your day or even your yesterday. Seeds always grow up and bear fruit. Paying attention to what parades through your mind puts you in a pro-active position. Before thoughts of irritation and frustration grow into angry, bitter roots, choose to ask God’s Holy Spirit to help you take those thoughts captive and to respond to your circumstances with His grace and love and His wisdom.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You have equipped me with Your Holy Spirit to live day by day. Today I ask You to help me take captive thoughts that will spiral me down and cause me to react in ways I don’t want to. Help me to remember I am a chooser. Where I have neglected to choose in the past and roots have grown that I wish hadn’t, help me to have wisdom to know now how to weed them out. I look to You today to help me tend the seeds that come into my heart and mind and to choose what I will let grow.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-12-2014 11:00 AM

The Daily Walk Part 7 - How to Forgive

by Gail Rodgers
“How do you forgive someone?” Tears filled her eyes as she asked this question and told me how she had tried and tried to forgive, yet the pain just wouldn’t go away.

Forgiveness is not forgetting. It is a crisis of your will…a choice you make. It is not something you do for the sake of the other person. You forgive for your own sake. It is not an issue between you and the offender; it is between you and God.
Yet many come back, as this dear lady did, to say, “I thought I forgave, but the hurt is still there.”
When you have truly let the person who hurt you off your hook, leaving them to God and you find the pain still remains, there is something you can do. It doesn’t mean your forgiveness has not been sincere.
Our emotions get damaged when we get hurt. Often in forgiving we fail to acknowledge the damage that has occurred in our emotions. God is the great Healer and our Redeemer who buys back the damaged goods and restores them.
Go to God and tell Him that you have forgiven your offender. Tell God how the offense made you feel. Ask Him to take the shame of the incident and resulting lies you began to believe about yourself that you were unwanted, unlovable, foolish, shameful, or unacceptable. Be honest.
Tell God you accept His love and the filling of the Holy Spirit and give all those damaged emotions to Him, asking Him to heal them. Unhealed emotions can become a filter through which we put the daily experiences of life, and unhealed hurt can grow.
The Holy Spirit brings the oil of healing to your soul. Sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes it occurs over time as you acknowledge the lies you believed about yourself..
God tells us in His Word…
“He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.” Isaiah 61:1
Be a prisoner no longer! Turn to the Healer of your heart.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I thank you for Your wonderful forgiveness extended to me. I extend that same forgiveness to my offender. Now as I release my damaged emotions to You, I ask that Your grace will lavish my heart with Your healing. Thank you that You have shown me the lies I began to believe about myself. Thank you that You are my Great Redeemer who redeems my wounded spirit.
In Jesus’ strong name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-13-2014 12:11 PM

The Daily Walk Part 8 - Trust Issues

by Gail Rodgers
She was six and eager to read to her brother. The 23rd Psalm was written on a card and as she read, I smiled…

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, He roasteth my soul…”
The simple error of reading “roasteth” instead of “restoreth” caught my attention. “That’s actually the way we view God at times”, I thought. Life can heat up with problems and frustrations. Sometimes we begin to see God as one who is roasting our soul, rather than the loving God who seeks to restore our soul.
The day to day challenges can weary us and cause our trust in our loving God to falter. We can begin to loose sight of Him as a God who always has our best interests at heart. When we begin to look just at our circumstances, our God begins to look small. When we look to our God as our source of strength, our circumstances tend to fall into perspective.
The difference, between seeing our God as trustworthy and ready to restore or seeing Him as unconcerned and uncaring, is in our eye sight. It is in the way the eyes of our heart see.
God knows our tendency to look at things through the wrong lens. He encourages us in His Word. Listen…
“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may
  • know the hope to which He has called you
  • know the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and
  • know His incomparably great power for us who believe!”
Ephesians 1:18&19
Ask God today to open the eyes of your heart so you may see Him in new ways. He promises to be your hope, your supply and your power. If your trust in God has begun to falter, ask Him today to change your eyesight. Ask Him to help you see Him as He is, a loving God who always has your best interests at heart…a God who can be trusted to restore whatever is lost or broken or hurting in your soul.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Forgive me for the times I have not seen You as trustworthy with my life. I thank you that you have my best interest at heart. Today I ask that you will open the eyes of my heart so I will see the hope You offer me, the supply of Your inheritance for me and the power You promise me. I trust You with my life and my circumstances. Restore my soul today and refresh me in the knowledge of your trustworthiness.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-14-2014 10:13 AM

The Daily Walk Part 9 - Ripples

by Gail Rodgers
I stood on the shore of the lake and watched the kids throw rocks into the water. Whole fistfuls of pebbles or stones flew through the air. Each one hit the water with the same result…ripples. Ripples that circled out and intersected with the other ripples, ripples that went far beyond the spot where each stone landed.

This image of the ripples never fails to bring the same thought to my mind over and over. Small as each pebble is, not one touches the water without these resulting ripples.
We are like the pebble. No matter how influential or insignificant we see ourselves, we each send out ripples that circle out further than we might ever dream.
Words and deeds of kindness or cruelty, gentleness or abrasiveness, generosity or greed, all ripple out and touch other lives far beyond the boundaries we think they go. Our families, co-workers, neighbors, and even strangers are often touched by an act or a word of ours that we never dreamt would get that far.
My husband is good at skipping rocks across the water. The kids count the skips; the more the better. Sometimes we think we too can skip through life, independent, not touching others, hurrying on without time to stop and be concerned about anyone else. The inevitable ripples still flow out.
We do influence, we do touch others, even when we are not aware of it. God even reminds us of our ripples…
“…you be an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
As you go through your day today be reminded that you are sending out ripples. You have no idea how far they go. Ask your Heavenly Father to help you bring His heart of love and grace into your setting and be conscious of the ripples you are sending out.
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
I sometimes forget that I am an influence in the places I walk each day. Help me today to be aware of the ripples I send out with my words and conversations and even with my tones. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit today so that the ripples from my words and actions touch and encircle those around me with strength and encouragement. Help me to be an example of love and faith and purity today because You have placed me in this very spot to bring Your love to the people around me.

bluidkiti 04-15-2014 10:28 AM

The Daily Walk Part 10 - Hold the Rope

by Gail Rodgers
The float plane looked small as it bobbed up and down on the wind chopped lake. Slowly it inched its way to the dock. The pilot knew that a sharp turn in this kind of a wind could easily capsize the plane.

Often I’ve watched this scene as a plane will almost reach the wave pounded dock, only to have the merciless wind gust it right on past. On such days it helps if someone is there and ready to catch the rope the pilot throws out to draw him to the anchor.
The scene on the choppy waters is actually much like life. So many are buffeted by the storms of life, some are drifting and in danger of capsizing. All around us we see relationship struggles, unemployment and waves of all descriptions tossing about those we are in touch with each day. We often feel the waves crashing in our own lives.
There is one thing we can do for each other as these scenes play out in our lives. We can “hold the rope”. We can be the go-between that can help draw a troubled heart to God who is the anchor that will hold through the buffeting storms.
Holding the rope may mean practical help, it may mean sharing how God can help those who call on Him, but holding the rope also means praying. Praying is the greatest gift we can give one another. While one is consumed with the storm around her, the other can hold her before God in prayer. God tells us it makes a difference…
“…Pray for each other…The earnest prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
Where prayer focuses, God’s power falls! I’ve seen it proven over and over as I have prayed for others and as others have prayed for me.
Often we can’t change one little circumstance, but God has chosen to work through our prayers. When we pray He can change circumstances. He heals and gives strength.
Today when you encounter someone who is bearing a heavy load and struggling to keep afloat, “hold the rope” for her; pray for her and let her know that you are. If you are in a storm yourself be open about asking someone to hold you up in prayer. It will make a difference!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you so much for the privilege of prayer! Help me to remember that I can hold the rope for someone today by praying for them as they buffet the waves in their life. Use me to help draw them to You, the anchor in life. Remind others to pray for me today too, Lord as I navigate my own choppy waters. Use us in each others lives today.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-16-2014 09:35 AM

The Daily Walk Part 11 - Fast Food

by Gail Rodgers
We were moving and it was hectic. It was easiest to get “take out” or stop by McDonalds. Then we walked into a home of some friends and the roast beef smelled wonderful. The fast food had filled the need of the moment but the roast beef and potatoes were so much more satisfying.

We all know the slow slide our bodies take when we “fast food” it too much; the little extra bulk here and the sluggishness there. It’s not hard to make the connection between input and results.
The same effect is true in our Spirits. We often try to “fast food” it as Christians with our spiritual diet. Oh we get some nutrition from our verse for the day, our quick reading and our prayer on the way out the door. But often our hearts hunger for the “roast beef” and we don’t even recognize it.
Sluggishness sets into the soul too when we neglect good nutrition too long. Are you finding the telltale little bulges of unrest in your soul? Maybe some deposits of anger or irritation? Are lack of peace and impatience beginning to show a slow slide in your spirit?
“Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.” 1 Peter2:2 & 3
Examine your spiritual diet today. Fast food is great for those crazy days once in awhile but if it is your steady diet your soul will be malnourished.
God longs to feed your soul. When He does your soul will find a satisfaction that will keep you going back. He provides a meal you don’t want to miss.
How to you find spiritual nutrition when you only know the way to “McDonalds”?
  • Put a CD of Christian music in your car.
  • Read your Bible and ask God to speak to you by His Holy Spirit.
  • Get to a good worship service and ask His presence to touch your heart.
  • Take some time to pray alone and just listen.
  • Get into a Bible study group or find a Christian friend to talk with.
  • Go for a walk and pray
Take responsibility for your spiritual condition. Real satisfaction awaits you as you crave pure spiritual food. Ask God to help you hunger for Him in new ways. He has a feast for those who linger with Him.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Today I ask that You will rekindle my hunger for You. I pray that You will lead me in new ways of knowing You. I ask that You will help me take the time to grow up in my spiritual tastes. Thank you for the nutrition You have provided in spiritual fast food, but help me to desire more. I know you have a feast for those who take the time to come. May I be one of them.
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-17-2014 10:01 AM

The Daily Walk Part 12 - Remember

by Gail Rodgers
Beth purchased the chocolate bunnies and headed to the parking lot. Company was coming and she still needed to get groceries and clean. She made a mental note to get extra eggs for the kids to color.

It was Easter. They wouldn’t likely get to church. Her mental check list went on. She knew she was too busy, but she squeezed God in where she could.
I’m sure God knew how easy it would be for us to do just that. He actually provides a regular reminder for us. He calls us to take part in Communion and with good reason.
“Do this in remembrance of me. For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.” 1 Corinthians 11: 26
In the business of “doing life” we often forget just what is actually proclaimed by Jesus’ death and His resurrection. It can so easily slip to the background of life and we can find ourselves living in dryness of soul, with divided hearts and sometimes with powerless, defeated lives.
Jesus knows us better than we know ourselves. That’s why He calls us to regularly remember Him; to keep proclaiming, in our individual lives, the truth of what His death on the cross means to us each day. Proclaim it out loud…right now…
  • I proclaim I am forgiven (Thank you Lord! You alone know how I need You)
  • I proclaim I am loved (Thank you Lord that Your love is unconditional!)
  • I proclaim I am cleansed (Thank you Lord that my past is now behind me!)
  • I proclaim that by His grace I have all that I need (Thank you Lord for your undeserved grace and mercy to help me in my time of need!)
Do you believe it? The very same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead is the same power that will be at work in your life as you believe and proclaim these truths. Welcome the celebration at the Communion table this Easter. Have your heart refreshed with forgiveness and wholeness as you believe the truth of what God says about you, His child.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Amaze my heart today with the truth of these proclamations. Thank you for the hope Easter revives in my heart! Fill me with Your Spirit and let Your resurrection power flow in new ways in my life. Help me to remember the power, in Your death and resurrection, that is mine every day. Help me to grow into all You have planned for me to be and to do.

bluidkiti 04-18-2014 09:50 AM

The Daily Walk Part 13 - I Don't Know What To Do

by Gail Rodgers
Megan had decisions to make that would affect her family and her career path. The pros and cons could be weighed either way and no clear cut direction could be seen. She did not know what to do. Confusion and anxiousness weighed her down.

Her email brought an unexpected note from a friend.. “You are on my mind and in my prayers this week. As I read my Bible today it seemed I should share this verse with you”...
“We are asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding…being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience ...joyfully giving thanks to the Father.” Col.1:9-12
Tears came to Megan’s eyes as she read this verse. God was assuring her He would fill her with the knowledge of His will through spiritual wisdom and understanding. Could she trust Him with the question marks of her life?
The Holy Spirit used this verse to renew her confidence that God would direct her. Megan felt new hope that God would navigate her through the question marks. With new focus she began to commit each decision, each day to God.
As the month passed Megan felt God truly directing her path and showing her His will through an understanding that she knew came from His heart. She felt herself being strengthened by God’s mighty power.
If you have a decision to make and don’t know which way to turn…ask God for spiritual wisdom and understanding. It goes beyond the pro and con lists we make for ourselves. His desire for you is to be fruitful and to grow in your knowledge of God.
Give Him the question mark you are searching out today and truly trust Him to guide you. Pray about every aspect of your decision. Keep God in the center of your focus and do not neglect reading His Word and asking Him to guide you through it. He will keep His word and will give you patience and endurance as you wait on Him.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I don’t know what to do. I thank you for Your promise of guidance. Help me today to trust my future and my plans to You. Help me today to lean on Your patience and endurance. Lead me in paths that will bring growth in my knowledge of You. Give me spiritual wisdom and understanding that goes beyond my own thinking.
I thank you in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-19-2014 12:08 PM

The Daily Walk Part 14 - Two Kinds of Unforgiveness

by Gail Rodgers
Dorothy had been deeply wounded. The pain was engrained in her soul and she was reminded of it almost daily. She wished she could forgive, she even tried to but somehow she just didn’t know how to get there.

Sheri, on the other hand, dug in her heels in and bristled at the thought of forgiveness. She felt no one could understand the deep pain that had wounded her heart and she believed she could never forgive.Quite simply, she did not even want to.
If you struggle with a deep offense in your heart, do a quick check and see what kind of unforgiveness you are harboring. It can be toxic to your soul.
The first kind is found in the heart of one who has had a very real offense committed again her. She would forgive if she could but the deep pain keeps her from getting there.
Imagine your heart as a home. The home looks tidy from all obvious appearances but in one room unforgiveness is stuffed away. At times the whole house is permeated with the offensiveness.
If this is you and you don’t want this but don’t know how to get rid of it, simply tell God you want to give Him the “key” to that room in your “heart home”. As you submit this area to God you are acknowledging your trust in Him. You are agreeing to have Him clean it up and to go with you into that room in God’s time and holding His hand.
It is a willingness to begin the journey of forgiveness with God’s help. He will do an amazing job of house cleaning that will make your heart rejoice.
On the other hand is the unwilling heart. Although it is humanly understandable that one might rebel against forgiveness the result is simply not worth it. Your whole life can become affected as the toxins of anger and mistrust permeate through your “heart home”.
Refusing to forgive is like holding rebellion in your heart. God speaks about such things in His Word;
“Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft and stubborness as the sin of idolatry.” 1 Samuel 15:23
As Christians we would never consider getting involved in witchcraft, yet the rebellion of a heart in unforgiveness can open the same kinds of doors in our lives. Willful unforgiveness, with no openness to begin the journey of forgiveness, can allow the enemy of your soul to stake a claim. Give God the key today. He can be trusted with the journey to bring your heart to wholeness.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You understand my pain and my inability to forgive. I need your help. Today I submit to You the key to that room in my heart that holds unforgiveness. I declare my trust in You today to hold my hand and help me journey to forgiveness and wholeness. Thank you for Your unconditional love to me.

bluidkiti 04-20-2014 10:52 AM

The Daily Walk Part 15 - Your Heritage

by Gail Rodgers
Dust drifted up from the old suitcase as we opened it. Dusty papers, old pictures, brittle birth certificates and worn out pages of family history notes rustled in the morning air.

My Dad came for a visit bringing the old suitcase that had held the family archives for years. We poured over them, sorting them out and making a map of our history.
“Who cares, Mom? Why bother?” asked one of my kids. But it was good. It gave me a sense of my roots and a knowledge of where I came from.
Regardless of our individual family histories, as Christians you and I belong to the same family of believers. God spells out the family archives for all of us as His children so we have a sense of our roots and a knowledge of belonging.
Hebrews chapter 11 lists our spiritual ancestors who inspire us with their faith.
  • Abraham who heard God say “go” and he went, not knowing his destination;
  • Noah who prepared for a flood while the sun shone and the people laughed;
  • Joseph who trusted his God even when his family deserted him and he found himself in a strange land;
  • Moses who believed God to part the Red Sea so the people had a way to safety where there was no way;
  • Joshua who obeyed the “off the wall” instructions to march around the city of Jericho with lanterns and captured it by faith without a battle.
It is so important to recall and be encouraged by those who have gone before us. It helps us to keep our feet from getting tangled in things that distract. (Chapter 12) It helps us keep our eyes focused on Jesus as we run the course HE has marked out for each of us individuals.
“Consider the outcome of their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:7 & 8
Take a moment to thank God for your spiritual family archives. Be encouraged in your circumstance today that you follow this same Jesus who never changes. He will be as faithful to you today as He was to our forefathers.
Keep your focus…walk by faith. You have a powerful heritage!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you today for the confidence that the God of yesterday is still the God of today. Remind me of this as I go through my day and as I trust you in the hard spots. Thank you that I belong to this family of believers; that this history is my history. Help me today to walk by faith and to keep my eyes focused on Your strength. I love You Lord. Please keep my feet from being entangled in the distractions of my day.
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.