Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AA Thoughts For Today - September (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11857)

bluidkiti 09-01-2017 05:41 AM

AA Thoughts For Today - September

AA Thought for the Day

September 1

Troubles
Our basic troubles are the same as everyone else's, but when an honest effort
is made “to practice these principles in all our affairs,” well-grounded A.A.'s seem
to have the ability, by God's grace, to take these troubles in stride and
turn them into demonstrations of faith.
- - Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions, p 114

Thought to Ponder
Reliance on God enables me to match calamity with serenity.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F A I T H = For All I Trust Him.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Growing Up
"As we grow spiritually,
we find that our old attitudes toward our instincts
need to undergo drastic revisions.
Our desires for emotional security and wealth,
for personal prestige and power,
for romance, and for family satisfactions -
all these have to be tempered and redirected.
We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts
cannot be the sole end and aim of our lives.
If we place instincts first, we have got the cart before the horse;
we shall be pulled backward into disillusionment.
But when we are willing to place spiritual growth first -
then and only then do we have a real chance."
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 114,
Copyright 1952 A.A.W.S. Inc.

Thought to Consider . . .
The program has helped me grow up enough
to be a kid again.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
C H A N G E =
Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Every day.

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Not Theorizing
Suppose we fall short of the chosen ideal and stumble? Does this mean we are going to get drunk? Some people tell us so. But this is only a half-truth. It depends on us and on our motives. If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. We are not theorizing. These are facts out of our experience.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 70

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Spirituality makes it possible for me to work for others and to try and help them. It can give me the courage to take good care of myself -- to go to meetings even when I don't think I need a meeting, to speak up when my alcoholism wants to keep my pain to myself, to talk at a gut-honest level to my sponsor and to the people in my group about painful matters I would rather keep hidden."
West Henrietta, New York, September 1990
"The Power to Carry That Out,"
Spiritual Awakenings

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"...with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a
spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely
grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings
we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity
of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 66~

"Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely
looked for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest,
self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely
our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely.
Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other man's.
When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in
black and white. We admitted our wrongs honestly and were willing to
set these matters straight."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 67~

"We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 75

"We A.A.'s cannot pretend to offer full answers to age-old perplexities, but our own experience does provide certain answers that work for us."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 117

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Toward Maturity
Many oldsters who have put our A.A. 'booze cure' to severe but successful tests still find they often lack emotional sobriety. To attain this, we must develop real maturity and balance (which is to say, humility) in our relations with ourselves, with our fellows, and with God.
Let A.A. never be a closed corporation; let us never deny our experience, for whatever it may be worth, to the world around us. Let our individual members heed the call to every field of human endeavor. Let them carry the experience and spirit of A.A. into all these affairs, for whatever good they may accomplish. For not only has God saved us from alcoholism; the world has received us back into its citizenship.

Prayer for the Day: Lord, I turn my life and will over to You today. I will walk humbly with You and my fellow travelers. You are giving me a grateful heart for my many blessings. You are directing my thinking and separating me from self-pity, dishonesty, and self-seeking motives. You are removing my resentments, fears, and other character defects that stand in my way. You are giving me freedom from self-will. Your will, Lord, not mine. You will show me today what I can do to help someone who is still hurting. As I go out today to do Your bidding, You are helping me to become a better person.

bluidkiti 09-02-2017 06:24 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 2

Reborn
More and more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life.
As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind,
as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today,
tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p 63

Thought to Ponder
The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F E A R = Face Everything And Recover.

Grudges
"We had to see that every time we played the big shot,
we turned people against us.
We had to see that when we harbored grudges
and planned revenge for such defeats,
we were really hitting ourselves with the club of anger
we had intended to use on others.
We learned that if we were seriously disturbed,
our first need was to quiet that disturbance,
regardless of who or what we thought caused it.."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 47
Copyright 1952 A.A.W.S. Inc.

Anger is the hot wind that extinguishes the light of reason.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A N G E R = Any No Good Energy Rising.

The Right to be Wrong Tradition Four:
Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.
This meant, of course, that we had been given the courage to declare each A.A. group an individual entity, strictly reliant on its own conscience as a guide to action. In charting this enormous expanse of freedom, we found it necessary to post only two storm signals: A group ought not do anything which would greatly injure A.A. as a whole, nor ought it affiliate itself with anything or anybody else. There would be real danger should we commence to call some groups "wet," others "dry," still others "Republican" or "Communist," and yet others "Catholic" or "Protestant." The A.A. group would have to stick to its course or be hopelessly lost. Sobriety had to be its sole objective. In all other respects there was perfect freedom of will and action. Every group had the right to be wrong.
1981, AAWS, Inc., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 147

"In the first six months of my own sobriety, I worked hard with many alcoholics. Not a one responded. Yet this work kept me sober."
AA Cofounder Bill W., January 1958
"The Next Frontier: Emotional Sobriety"
Emotional Sobriety: The Next Frontier

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental
defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither
he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense
must come from a Higher Power."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 43~

"In meditation, we ask God what we should do about each specific matter. The right answer will come, if we want it." ~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 69~

"I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 13

"And when we turn away from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 97

Few indeed are those who, assailed by the tyrant alcohol, have ever won through in singlehanded combat. It is a statistical fact that alcoholics almost never recover on their personal resources alone.
'Way up toward Point Barrow in Alaska, a couple of prospectors got themselves a cabin and a case of Scotch. The weather turned bitter, fifty below, and they got so drunk they let the fire go out. Barely escaping death by freezing, one of them woke up in time to rekindle the fire. He was prowling around outside for fuel, and he looked into an empty oil drum filled with frozen water. Down in the ice cake he saw a reddish-yellow object. When thawed out, it was seen to be an A.A. book. One of the pair read the book and sobered up. Legend has it that he became the founder of one of our farthest north groups.

Prayer for the Day: Lord, give me tolerance toward those whose thoughts and ways, in the Program and life, conflict with mine. For though I would, I cannot always know what constitutes the Absolute Truth. The other person may be right, while I may be all wrong, yet unaware. Lord, make my motives right, for only this can ease my conscience when I sometimes err. Lord, give me tolerance, for who am I to stand in judgment on another person's mistakes? No one knows better than my inward self how many little blunders I have and can make. Life is full of stones that somehow trip us, and meaning not, we stumble now and then. Lord, give me tolerance, for only You are rightly fit to judge my fellow travelers.

bluidkiti 09-03-2017 07:04 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 3

New Attitude
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone—even alcohol.
For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor.
If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally,
and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new
attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part.
It just comes! That is the miracle of it.
~ Alcoholics Anonymous , pp. 84 - 85

Thought to Ponder . . .
New ideals and new attitudes bring a new life.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A = Altered Attitudes.

Dry
"Sometimes, we become depressed.
I ought to know;
I have been a champion dry-bender case myself.
While the surface causes were a part of the picture -
trigger-events that precipitated depression -
the underlying causes, I am satisfied, ran much deeper.
Intellectually, I could accept my situation.
Emotionally, I could not.
To those problems, there are certainly no pat answers.
But part of the answer lies in the constant effort
to practice all of AA's Twelve Steps."
Bill W., Letter, 1954
1967AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 30

The Twelve Steps are but suggestions,
as is pulling the rip cord on a parachute.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
D R Y = Doing Recovery Yourself

At Peace
Like everyone else I have good days and bad days. Unlike my attitude while I was still drinking, however, I rarely dread
what is going to happen to me today. I have even had the chance to see my father come into A.A. We have been to
numerous A.A. conventions together and have shared more with each other in the past few years than we ever had
before. I think we are both at peace with our pasts and comfortable with the present.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 493

"AA's message promises healing and wholeness for any alcoholic who will pay the price. The price is simply to accept
the help that will save our lives."
Riverside, Illinois, August 1977
"Turning On the Power,"
Spiritual Awakenings

"Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider
another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate,
was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with
Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative
Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of
things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and
direction, provided we took other simple steps."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 46~

Unless one's family expresses a desire to live upon spiritual
principles we think we ought not to urge them. We should not talk
incessantly to them about spiritual matters. They will change in
time. Our behavior will convince them more than our words. We must
remember that ten or twenty years of drunkenness would make a
skeptic out of anyone.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 83~

"This we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 26

"Without a willing and persistent effort to do this, there can be little sobriety or contentment for us."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 43

When men and women pour so much alcohol into themselves that they destroy their lives, they commit a most
unnatural act. Defying their instinctive desire for self-preservation, they seem bent upon self-destruction. They work
against their own deepest instinct. As they are progressively humbled by the terrific beating administered by alcohol,
the grace of God can enter them and expel their obsession. Here their powerful instinct to live can cooperate fully with
their Creator's desire to give them new life.
'The central characteristic of the spiritual experience is that it gives the recipient a new and better motivation out of all
proportion to any process of discipline, belief, or faith.
'These experiences cannot make us whole at once; they are a rebirth to a fresh and certain opportunity.

Prayer for the Day: A Beginner's Prayer - Lord, I want to love You, yet I am not sure. I want to trust You, yet I am afraid of being taken in. I know I need You, but I am ashamed of the need. I want to pray, but I am afraid of being a hypocrite. I need my independence, yet I fear to be alone. I want to belong, yet I must be myself. Take me, Lord, yet leave me alone. Lord, I believe; help me with my unbelief. O Lord, if You are there, You do understand, don’t You? Give me what I need, but leave me free to choose. Help me work it out my own way, but don’t let me go. Let me understand myself, but don’t let me despair. Come unto me, O Lord, I want You there. Lighten my darkness, but don’t dazzle me. Help me to see what I need to do, and give me strength to do it. O lord, I believe; help me with my unbelief.

bluidkiti 09-04-2017 04:46 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 4

Avoidance
We also clutch at another wonderful excuse for avoiding an inventory.
Our present anxieties and troubles, we cry, are caused by the behavior
of other people—people who really need a moral inventory.
We firmly believe that if only they'd treat us better, we'd be all right.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 45

Thought to Ponder . . .
Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

F E A R = Fighting Ego Against Reality.

Unity
"Moved by the spirit of anonymity,
we try to give up our natural desires for personal distinction
as AA members both among fellow alcoholics
and before the general public.
As we lay aside these very human aspirations,
we believe that each of us takes part
in the weaving of a protective mantle
which covers our whole Society and under which
we may grow and work in unity.
We are sure that humility, expressed by anonymity,
is the greatest safeguard that Alcoholics Anonymous
can ever have."
1952AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 187

To help each other, is to help ourselves.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A A's - R - U S = Alcoholics Anonymous Recovery Unity Service

Conditional Recovery
Another caution: Tying our sobriety to someone we are emotionally involved with proves flatly disastrous. "I'll stay sober if so-and-so does this or that" puts an unhealthy condition on our recovery. We have to stay sober for ourselves, no matter what other people do or fail to do.
We should remember, too, that intense dislike also is an emotional entanglement, often a reversal of past love. We need to cool any overboard feeling, lest it flip us back into the drink.
1998, AAWS, Inc., Living Sober, pages 61-62

"AA is spiritual, is the eye of the hurricane, is my refuge and my comfort."
Oklahoma City, Okla., December 1992
"Eye of the Hurricane"
Spiritual Awakenings

"I knew from that moment that I had an alcoholic mind. I saw that will power and self-knowledge would not help in those strange mental blank spots. I had never been able to understand people who said that a problem had them hopelessly defeated. I knew then. It was a crushing blow."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 42~

“If you have a resentment that you want to be free of, if you will pray for the person or thing that you resent, you will be free. Ask for their health, their prosperity, their happiness and you will be free. Even when you don’t really want it for them and your prayers are only words and you don’t mean it, go ahead and do it anyway. Do it every day for two weeks and you will find you have come to mean it, and to want it for them and you will realize where you used to feel bitterness and resentment and hatred, you now feel compassionate, understanding and love” ~Alcoholics Anonymous page 552

"As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 87

“”Each group has but one primary purpose – to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.” “Shoemaker, stick to thy last!” …better do one thing supremely well than many badly. That is the central theme of this Tradition. Around it our Society gathers in unity. The very life of our Fellowship requires the preservation of this principle.”
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 150

'Since open-mindedness and experimentation are supposed to be the indispensable attributes of our 'scientific' civilization, it seems strange that so many scientists are reluctant to try out personally the hypothesis that God came first and man afterward. They prefer to believe that man is the chance product of evolution; that God, the Creator, does not exist.
'I can only report that I have experimented with both concepts and that, in my case, the God concept has proved to be a better basis for living than the man-centered one.
'Nevertheless, I would be the first to defend your right to think as you will. I simply ask this question: 'in your own life, have you ever really tried to think and act as though there might be a God? Have you experimented?'

Prayer for the Day: God, thank you for helping me be honest enough to see this truth about myself and now that you have shown me the truth about my fears, please remove these fears from me. Lord, please help me outgrow my fears and direct my attention to what you would have me be. Father, demonstrate through me and help me become that which you would have me be. Help me do thy will always, Amen.

bluidkiti 09-05-2017 03:33 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 5

Self-Deceived
We had not even prayed rightly. We had always said,
“Grant me my wishes” instead of “Thy will be done.” The
love of God and man we understood not at all. Therefore
we remained self-deceived, and so incapable of receiving
enough grace to restore us to sanity.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 32

Thought to Ponder . . .
Prayer asks the question. Meditation listens for the answer.

F R O G = Fully Rely On God.

Sobriety
"God willing, we members of AA may never again
have to deal with drinking,
but we have to deal with sobriety every day.
How do we do it?
By learning - through practicing the Twelve Steps
and through sharing at meetings -
how to cope with the problems
that we looked to booze to solve,
back in our drinking days."
1976AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 560

Sobriety is a choice and a treasure.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
B E S T = Been Enjoying Sobriety Today?

Well Worth the Effort
we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders.
Alcoholics Anonymous, page 132

When my own house is in order, I find the different parts of my life are more manageable. Stripped from the guilt and remorse that cloaked my drinking years, I am free to assume my proper role in the universe, but this condition requires maintenance. I should stop and ask myself, Am I having fun yet? If I find answering that question difficult or painful, perhaps I'm taking myself too seriously - and finding it difficult to admit that I've strayed from my practice of working the program to keep my house in order. I think the pain I experience is one way my Higher Power has to get my attention, coaxing me to take stock of my performance. The slight time and effort it takes to work the program - a spot-check inventory, for example, or the making of amends, whatever is appropriate - are well worth the effort.
1990, AAWS, Inc., Daily Reflections, page 31

"My Higher Power works incognito, defying definition and requiring faith."
State College, Penn., April 1994
"Working Incognito"
Spiritual Awakenings

"The alcoholic is like a tornado roaring his way through the lives of
others. Hearts are broken. Sweet relationships are dead.
Affections have been uprooted. Selfish and inconsiderate habits have
kept the home in turmoil. We feel a man is unthinking when he says
that sobriety is enough"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 82~

Both you and the new man must walk day by day in the path of
spiritual progress. If you persist, remarkable things will happen.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 100~

"So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 132

"The joy of living is the theme of A.A.'s Twelfth Step, and action is its key word."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 106

It was evident that a solitary self-appraisal, and the admission of our defects based upon that alone, wouldn't be nearly enough. We'd have to have outside help if we were surely to know and admit the truth about ourselves - the help of God and of another human being.
Only by discussing ourselves, holding back nothing, only by being willing to take advice and accept direction could we set foot on the road to straight thinking, solid honesty, and genuine humility.
If we are fooling ourselves, a competent adviser can see this quickly. And, as he skillfully guides us away from our fantasies, we are surprised to find that we have few of the usual urges to defend ourselves against unpleasant truths. In no other way can fear, pride, and ignorance be so readily melted. After a time, we realize that we are standing firm on a brand-new foundation for integrity, and we gratefully credit our sponsors, whose advice pointed the way.

Prayer for the Day: God, Thank You for giving me the strength, faith and courage I need. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me to know you better, by showing me what has been blocking me from you. Father, please show me if I have omitted anything. Thy will, not mine, be done. Amen.

bluidkiti 09-06-2017 06:39 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 6

Spiritual Principles
“Quite as important was the discovery that spiritual principles would solve all my problems.
I have since been brought into a way of living infinitely more satisfying and, I hope, more
useful than the life I lived before. My old manner of life was by no means a bad one, but
I would not exchange its best moments for the worst I have now.
I would not go back to it even if I could."
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 42 - 43

Thought to Ponder
The solution is simple. The solution is spiritual.

AA-related 'Alconym'
S O B E R = Spiritually On Beam;Everything's Right.

Belonging
"Today, I'm counting my blessings instead of my troubles.
When I walked into the friendly atmosphere of my first
AA meeting, I knew I was where I belonged.
Here were people who had thought and felt as I had.
Here was the understanding I'd been searching for
all my life."
1976AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 355

I stood in the sunlight at last.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
T H I N K = The Happiness I Never Knew

*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*

Nickname
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"We directed Mr. Blackwell [the printer] to do the job on the thickest paper in his shop. The original volume proved to be
so bulky that it became known as the 'Big Book.' Of course the idea was to convince the alcoholic purchaser that he
was indeed getting his money's worth!"
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 170

*~*~*~*~*^Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"I felt myself move with a new power, courage, and faith that, by the grace of God, I have acquired as a result of
working the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous."
Conn., June 2005
"Life and Taxes"
Spiritual Awakenings II

"We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time
to outgrow that serious handicap."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 125~

Psychologists are inclined to agree with us. We have spent
thousands of dollars for examinations. We know but few instances
where we have given these doctors a fair break. We have seldom
told them the whole truth nor have we followed their advice. Unwilling
to be honest with these sympathetic men, we were honest with no one
else. Small wonder many in the medical profession have a low
opinion of alcoholics and their chance for recovery.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 73~

"When resentful thoughts come, try to pause and count your blessings."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 119

"This to the end that our great blessings may never spoil us; that we shall forever live in thankful contemplation of Him

who presides over us all."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 192

We see that the sun never sets upon A.A.'s Fellowship; that more than three hundred and fifty thousand of us have
now recovered from our malady; that we have everywhere begun to transcend the formidable barriers of race, creed,
and nationality. This assurance that so many of us have been able to meet our responsibilities for sobriety and for
growth and effectiveness in the troubled world where we live, will surely fill us with the deepest joy and satisfaction.
But, as a people who have nearly always learned the hard way, we shall certainly not congratulate ourselves. We shall
perceive these assets to be God's gifts, which have been in part matched by an increasing willingness on our part to
find and do His will for us.

Prayer for the Day: God, please show me how to find the way of Patience, Tolerance, Kindness and Love in my heart, my Mind and my Soul. Lord, show me how to demonstrate these principles to my family and all those about me. Amen.

bluidkiti 09-07-2017 04:56 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 7

Motives
This odd trait of mind and emotion, this perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one,
permeates human affairs from top to bottom. This subtle and elusive kind of self-righteousness can
underlie the smallest act or thought. Learning daily to spot, admit, and correct these flaws is
the essence of character-building and good living.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, pp. 94 - 95

Thought to Ponder
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us.

AA-related 'Alconym'
L O V E = Leave Out Violent Emotion.

Honesty
"I know the biggest word for me in AA is 'honesty.'
I don't believe this program would work for me
if I didn't get honest with myself about everything.
Honesty is the easiest word for me to understand
because it is the exact opposite
of what I've been doing all my life.
Therefore, it would be the hardest to work on.
But I will never be totally honest -
that would make me perfect,
and none of us can claim to be perfect.
Only God is."
1976AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 482

Honesty is the absence of the intent to deceive.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
C H A N G E = Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Every day

Endless
>From "The Central Experience":
"I have become more and more aware of the infinite expansion of happiness which is accessible within. The Upanishad, part of the Hindu scriptures, concludes: 'From Joy all things are born; by Joy all things are sustained; to Joy all things return.' The more thoroughly I can surrender to this proposition, the more thoroughly I enjoy my life. Ultimately, my God as I understand Him is joy and the expansion of joy. - Toronto, Ontario"
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 100

"It was long indeed before we knew that AA could surely cross all boundaries of distance, race, creed, or language ... We know now it is only a question of time when every alcoholic in the world will have as good a chance to stay alive and happy as we have had here in America."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., June 1955
"How AA's World Services Grew, Part II"
The Language of the Heart

"'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which
is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Appendice II, Spiritual
Experience, pg. 568~

It works - it really does.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 88~

"If he is to find God, the desire must come from within."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 95

“Then, in Step Seven, we humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings such as He could or would under the conditions of the day we asked. In step Eight, we continued our house-cleaning, for we saw that we were not only in conflict with ourselves, but also with people and situations in the world in which we lived. We had to begin to make our peace.”
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 108

Whenever I find myself under acute tensions, I lengthen my daily walks and slowly repeat our Serenity Prayer in rhythm to my steps and breathing.
If I feel that my pain has in part been occasioned by others, I try to repeat, 'God grant me the serenity to love their best, and never fear their worst.' This benign healing process of repetition, sometimes necessary to persist with for days, has seldom failed to restore me to at least a workable emotional balance and perspective.

Prayer for the Day: God, please help me Watch for Selfishness, Dishonesty, Resentment and Fear. When these crop up in me, help me to immediately ask you to remove them from me and help me discuss these feelings with someone. Father, help me to quickly make amends if I have harmed anyone and help me to resolutely turn my thoughts to someone I can Help. Help me to be Loving and Tolerant of everyone today. Amen

bluidkiti 09-08-2017 05:13 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 8

Simple Ideas
Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director.
He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children.
Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of
the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 62

Thought to Ponder
God grant that AA may ever stay simple.

AA-related 'Alconym'
W I L L I N G = When I Live Life, I Need God.

Solution
"The tremendous fact for every one of us
Is that we have discovered a common solution.
We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree,
and upon which we can join in brotherly and
harmonious action."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 17

The solution is simple.
The solution is spiritual.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
S T E P S = Solutions To Every Problem in Sobriety

A Long Way
If we have no such complication, there is plenty we should do at home. Sometimes we hear an alcoholic say that the only thing he needs to do is to keep sober. Certainly he must keep sober, for there will be no home if he doesn't. But he is yet a long way from making good to the wife and parents whom for years he has so shockingly treated. Passing all understanding is the patience mothers and wives have had with alcoholics. Had this not been so, many of us would have no homes today, would perhaps be dead.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 82

"I am feeling much better now, and I thank God for AA and my good friends. I have learned how to accept their help."
Queens, N.Y., February 1971
"Carrying the Message"
Emotional Sobriety II

And We have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity has returned. We can now react sanely & normally,
- Big Book, p. 84 1967 by A.A. World Services, Inc.

...the actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly an exception,
will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self
knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize,
to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it has been revealed to
us out of bitter experience.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 39~

"This painful past may be of infinite value to other families still struggling with their problem."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 124

"This the sponsor promptly proves by talking freely and easily, and without exhibitionism, about his own defects, past and present."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 46

'Don't be too discouraged about that slip. Practically always, we drunks learn the hard way.
'Your idea of moving on to somewhere else may be good, or it may not. Perhaps you have got into an emotional or economic jam that can't be well handled where you are. But maybe you are doing just what all of us have done, at one time or another: Maybe you are running away. Why don't you try to think that through again carefully?
'Are you really placing recovery first, or are you making it contingent upon other people, places, or circumstances? You may find it ever so much better to face the music right where you are now, and, with the help of the A.A. program, win through. Before you make a decision, weigh it in these terms.

Prayer for the Day: My Higher Power, My daily prayer is to best serve you, I pray I may continue to grow in understanding effectiveness; Help me to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear; Help me to be willing to have You remove them at once; I must be willing to discuss them with someone immediately; I will make amends quickly if I have harmed anyone; And then I will turn my thoughts toward helping someone else; Please help me to remember to practice love and tolerance of others. Amen.

bluidkiti 09-09-2017 05:14 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 9

Revelation
Even so has God restored us all to our right minds.
To this man, the revelation was sudden.
Some of us grow into it more slowly.
But He has come to all who have honestly sought Him.
When we drew near to Him He disclosed Himself to us!
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 57

Thought to Ponder
From darkness comes light.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A R T = Always Remain Teachable

Delusion
"We learned that we had to fully concede
to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics.
This is the first step in recovery.
The delusion that we were like other people,
or presently may be, has to be smashed."
1976AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 17

There is no such thing as being 'a little bit alcoholic.'

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
D E N I A L = Don't Even Notice I Am Lying

Condemn
Tradition Three: The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Why did A.A. finally drop all its membership regulations? Why did we leave it to each newcomer to decide himself
whether he was an alcoholic and whether he should join us? Why did we dare say, contrary to the experience of
society and government everywhere, that we would neither punish nor deprive any A.A. of membership, believe
anything, or conform to anything?
The answer, now seen in Tradition Three, was simplicity itself. At last experience taught us that to take away any
alcoholic's full chance was sometimes to pronounce his death sentence, and often to condemn him to endless
misery. Who dared to be judge, jury, and executioner of his own sick brother?
1981, AAWS, Inc., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 141

"When I'm willing to pay the price for top-shelf sobriety, 'action' is still the magic word."
Craig, Colo., January 1997
"Paying the Price for Improvement"
Emotional Sobriety II

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them
help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up
about you, to have a host of friends, this is an experience you
must not miss."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 89~

Whether the family has spiritual convictions or not, they may do
well to examine the principles by which the alcoholic member is
trying to live. They can hardly fail to approve these simple
principles, though the head of the house still fails somewhat in
practicing them. Nothing will help the man who is off on a
spiritual tangent so much as the wife who adopts a sane spiritual program,
making a better practical use of it.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 130~

"Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 58

"And as we grow spiritually, we find that our old attitudes toward our instincts need to undergo drastic revisions."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 114

Alcoholism was a lonely business, even though we were surrounded by people who loved us. But when our self-will
had driven everybody away and our isolation became complete, we commenced to play the big shot in cheap
barrooms. Failing even in this, we had to fare forth alone on the street to depend upon the charity of passers-by.
We were trying to find emotional security either by dominating or by being dependent upon others. Even when our
fortunes had not totally ebbed, we nevertheless found ourselves alone in the world. We still vainly tried to be secure by
some unhealthy sort of domination or dependence.
For those of us who were like that, A.A. has a very special meaning. In this Fellowship we begin to learn right relations
with people who understand us; we don't have to be alone any more.

Prayer for the Day: God, please forgive me for my failings today. I know that because of my failings, I was not able to be as effective as I could have been for you. Please forgive me and help me live thy will better today. I ask you now to show me how to correct the errors I have just outlined. Guide me and direct me. Please remove my arrogance and my fear. Show me how to make my relationships right and grant me the humility and strength to do thy will.

bluidkiti 09-10-2017 05:52 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 10

Step Eight
“Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.”

Every A.A. has found that he can make little headway in this new adventure of living until he first backtracks
and really makes an accurate and unsparing survey of the human wreckage he has left in his wake.
To a degree, he has already done this when taking moral inventory, but now the time has come
when he ought to redouble his efforts to see how many people he has hurt, and in what ways.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 77

Thought to Ponder
It is the beginning of the end of isolation from our fellows and from God.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A C T I O N = Any Change To Improve Our Nature.

Surrender
"There are two things I've learned from this program.
First, to surrender completely.
I was fighting a losing battle with the bottle.
I gave up, and through defeat, I won.
Second, to change myself, because the world isn't
going to change to suit 'poor little old me.'
It's just this simple -- whatever it is in me
that led me down the alcoholic road to misery,
I no longer want any part of it."
c.1976, AA for the Woman (AA Pamphlet P-5), p. 17

Take a walk with God.
He will meet you at the Steps.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A S A P = Always Say A Prayer

What I've Learned
There have been some hard times too during these years of sobriety. When I was five years sober, the daughter who drove me to the treatment program and helped me get admitted disappeared. My AA friends helped me search for her, but she has never been found. Her mother and I raised her three daughters. I did not have to take a drink. I went to lots of meetings to relieve the pain. When I lost a second daughter to cancer a few years ago, I did the same thing.
What I've learned is that it doesn't matter what hardships and losses I've endured in sobriety, I have not had to go back to drinking. As long as I work the program, keep being of service, go to meetings, and keep my spiritual life together, I can live a decent life.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 485

"We who live in the haven of AA cling together with an intensity of purpose which the outside world seldom comprehends. The anarchy of the individual melts away. Self-love subsides and democracy becomes a reality. We begin to know true freedom of the spirit."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1946
"The Individual in Relation to AA as a Group"

"To sum up about sex: We earnestly pray for the right ideal, for
guidance in each questionable situation, for sanity, and for the
strength to do the right thing. If sex is very troublesome, we throw
ourselves the harder into helping others. We think of their needs
and work for them. This takes us out of ourselves. It quiets the
imperious urge, when to yield would mean heartache."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 70~

Sometimes we hear an alcoholic say that the only thing he needs
to do is to keep sober. Certainly he must keep sober, for there will
be no home if he doesnt. But he is yet a long way from making good
to the wife or parents whom for years he has so shockingly treated.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 82~

"You forget that you have just now tapped a source of power much greater than yourself. To duplicate, with such backing, what we have accomplished is only a matter of willingness, patience and labor."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 163

“But it is from our twisted relations with family, friends, and society at large that many of us have suffered the most. We have been especially stupid and stubborn about them. The primary fact that we fail to recognize is our total inability to form a true partnership with another human being.”
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 53

'Wise men and women rightly give a top rating to the virtue of prudence. They know that without this all important attribute little wisdom is to be had.
'Mere 'looking before we leap' is not enough. If our looking is charged with fear, suspicion, or anger, we had better not have looked or acted at all.'
'We lose the fear of making decisions, great and small, as we realize that should our choice prove wrong we can, if we will, learn from the experience. Should our decision be the right one, we can thank God for giving us the courage and the grace that caused us so to act.

Prayer for the Day: "God please direct my thinking and keep my thoughts divorced from self – pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Please keep my thought life clear from wrong motives and help me employ my mental faculties, that my thought-life might be placed on a higher plane, the plane of inspiration."

bluidkiti 09-11-2017 06:21 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 11

Humility
Then, in A.A., we looked and listened.
Everywhere we saw failure and misery transformed by humility into priceless assets.
We heard story after story of how humility had brought strength out of weakness.
In every case, pain had been the price of admission into a new life.
But this admission price had purchased more than we expected.
It brought a measure of humility, which we soon discovered to be a healer of pain.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 75

Thought to Ponder
New ideals and new attitudes bring a new life.

AA-related 'Alconym'
C H A N G E = Choosing Humility Allows New Gifts and Energy.

Diagnosis
"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic,
but you can quickly diagnose yourself.
Step over to the nearest barroom
and try some controlled drinking.
Try a drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once.
It will not take long for you to decide,
if you are honest with yourself about it.
It may be worth a case of the jitters if you get a
full knowledge of your condition."
c. 1976, Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 31-2

I have learned that I did not get here a day early
or a drink short.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
Y A N A = You Are Not Alone

Keep Things Simple
But when it comes to the actual spending of cash, particularly for A.A. service overhead, many of us are apt to turn a bit reluctant. We think of the loss of all that earning power in our drinking years, of those sums we might have laid by for emergencies or for education of the kids. We find, too, that when we drop money in the meeting hat there is no such bang as when we talk for hours to a newcomer. There is not much romance in paying the landlord. Sometimes we hold off when we are asked to meet area or Intergroup service expenses. As to world services, we may remark, Well, those activities are a long way off, and our group does not really need them. Maybe nobody needs them. These are very natural and understandable reactions, easy to justify. We can say, "Let's not spoil A.A. with money and service organization. Let's separate the material from the spiritual. That will really keep things simple.
Bill W.
1962, AAWS, Inc., Twelve Concepts for World Service, page 65

"Alcoholics Anonymous has given me something of real value that I can share with others."
Tucson, Ariz., May 2004
"The Fugitives"
Spiritual Awakenings II

"Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a
seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we
laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 132~

Imagine life without faith! Were nothing left but pure reason, it wouldnt be life.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 54~

"Wait until repeated stumbling convinces him he must act, for the more you hurry him the longer his recovery may be delayed."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 113

"When the distortion has been great, however, a long period of patient striving may be necessary."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 118

How wonderful is the feeling that we do not have to be specially distinguished among our fellows in order to be useful and profoundly happy. Not many of us can be leaders of prominence, nor do we wish to be.
Service gladly rendered, obligations squarely met, troubles well accepted or solved with God's help, the knowledge that at home or in the world outside we are partners in a common effort, the fact that in God's sight all human beings are important, the proof that love freely given brings a full return, the certainty that we are no longer isolated and alone in self-constructed prisons, the surety that we can fit and belong in God's scheme of things - these are the satisfactions of right living for which no pomp and circumstance, no heap of material possessions, could possibly be substitutes.

Prayer for the Day: God, should I find myself agitated, doubtful or indecisive today, please give me inspiration, help me to have an intuitive thought or a decision about this problem I face. Help me not to struggle, instead, help me to relax and take it easy. Help me know what I should do and keep me mindful, that you are running the show. Free me from my bondage of self. Thy will be done always.

bluidkiti 09-12-2017 05:34 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 12

An Illness
An illness of this sort—and we have come to believe it an illness—involves those about us
in a way no other human sickness can. If a person has cancer all are sorry for him
and no one is angry or hurt. But not so with the alcoholic illness,
for with it there goes annihilation of all the things worth while in life.
It engulfs all whose lives touch the sufferer’s.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 18

Thought to Ponder
Right actions for the future are the best apologies for wrong ones in the past.

AA-related 'Alconym'
B A T H = Behavior, Attitude, Thinking, Habits.

Destiny
"Yes, we are again citizens of the world.
It is a distraught world, very tired, very uncertain.
It has worshipped its own self-sufficiency --
and that has failed.
We AA's are a people who once did that very thing.
That philosophy failed us too.
So perhaps, here and there, our example of recovery can help.
As individuals, we have a responsibility,
maybe a *double responsibility*.
It may be that we have a date with destiny."
Bill W., October 1944
1988AA Grapevine, The Language of the Heart, p. 100

What if I were caring rather than judgmental?

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A A = Altruistic Action

Decisions
Wise men and women rightly give a top rating to the virtue of prudence. They know that without this all important attribute little wisdom is to be had.
Mere looking before we leap is not enough. If our looking is charged with fear, suspicion, or anger, we had better not have looked or acted at all.
Letter, 1966

We lose the fear of making decisions, great and small, as we realize that should our choice prove wrong we can, if we will, learn from the experience. Should our decision be the right one, we can thank God for giving us the courage and the grace that caused us so to act.
Letter, 1966

"Ever so slowly, I could feel myself changing. Things that had seemed important were no longer important. There was inside me a warming, a softening, a stirring, as the petals of a rosebud stir almost imperceptibly into a blossom."
Neoga, Ill., February 1974
"There Can Be Love and Laughter"
Spiritual Awakenings II

"...we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 84~

We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as
an institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not
helpful to anyone. Every new alcoholic looks for this spirit
among us and is immensely relieved when he finds we are not
witch-burners. A spirit of intolerance might repel alcoholics whose lives could
have been saved, had it not been for such stupidity.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 103~

Now we go out to our fellows and repair the damage done in the past.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 76

To define the word "harm" in a practical way, we might call it the result of instincts in collision, which cause physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual damage to people.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 80

To reach more alcoholics, understanding of A.A. and public good will towards A.A. must go on growing everywhere. We need to be on still better terms with medicine, religion, employers, governments, courts, prisons, mental hospitals, and all enterprises in the alcoholism field. We need the increasing good will of editors, writers, television and radio channels. These publicity outlets need to be opened ever wider.
Nothing matters more to A.A.'s future welfare than the manner in which we use the colossus of modern communication. Used unselfishly and well, it can produce results surpassing our present imagination.
Should we handle this great instrument badly, we shall be shattered by the ego manifestations of our own people. Against this peril, A.A. members' anonymity before the general public is our shield and our buckler.

Prayer for the Day: God, please show me all through this day, what my next step is to be and please grace me with whatever I need to take care of the problems in my life today. I ask especially that you free me from the bondage of self-will.

bluidkiti 09-13-2017 05:43 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 13

Service

Nor is this the only kind of Twelfth Step work. We sit in A.A. meetings and listen,
not only to receive something ourselves, but to give the reassurance and support which
our presence can bring. If our turn comes to speak at a meeting, we again try to carry
A.A.'s message. Whether our audience is one or many, it is still Twelfth Step work.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 110

Thought to Ponder
Service is spirituality in action.

AA-related 'Alconym'
E S H = Experience, Strength, Hope.

Trouble
"There was a time when we ignored trouble,
hoping it would go away.
Or, in fear and in depression, we ran from it,
but found it was still with us.
Often, full of unreason, bitterness, and blame,
we fought back.
These mistaken attitudes, powered by alcohol,
guaranteed our destruction, unless they were altered.
Then came AA.
Here we learned that trouble was really a fact of life
for everybody --
a fact that had to be understood and dealt with.
Surprisingly, we found that our troubles could,
under God's grace, be converted into
unimagined blessings."
Bill W., Letter, 1966
c. 1967AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 110

Though adversity, we find strength.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F A I T H = Facing All In Trusting Him

Popular
>From "When A.A. Came of Age":
"At this point the Cleveland Plain Dealer ran a series of pieces that ushered in a new period for Alcoholics Anonymous, the era of mass production of sobriety.
"Elrick B. Davis, a feature writer of deep understanding, was the author of a series of articles that were printed in the middle of the Plain Dealer's editorial page, and these were accompanied every two or three days by red-hot blasts from the editors themselves. In effect, the Plain Dealer was saying, "Alcoholics Anonymous is good, and it works. Come and get it."
"The newspaper's switchboard was deluged. Day and night, the calls were relayed to [early members] Clarence and Dorothy and from them to members of their little group."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 20

"I am learning how to cope with life, people, and situations, not as I want them to be, but as they really are."
Millburn, N.J., July 1971
"Reality Can Be Uncomfortable"
Emotional Sobriety II

"If there be divorce or separation, there should be no undue haste
for the couple to get together. The man should be sure of his
recovery. The wife should fully understand his new way of life. If
their old relationship is to be resumed it must be on a better basis,
since the former did not work. This means a new attitude and spirit
all around. Sometimes it is to the best interests of all concerned
that a couple remain apart. Obviously, no rule can be laid down.
Let the alcoholic continue his program day by day. When the time for
living together has come, it will be apparent to both parties."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, Page 99~~

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were
we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology?
Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with
another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we
have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time?
Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could
pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift
into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish
our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask Gods
forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 86~

Love and tolerance of others is our code.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 84

Courtesy, kindness, justice, and love are the keynotes by which we may come into harmony with practically anybody.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 93

I was the recipient of a tremendous mystic experience or 'illumination,' and at first it was very natural for me to feel that this experience staked me out as somebody very special.
But as I now look back upon this tremendous event, I can only feel very grateful. It now seems clear that the only special features of my experience were its suddenness and the overwhelming and immediate conviction that it carried.
In all other respects, however, I am sure that my own experience was essentially like that received by any A.A. member who has strenuously practiced our recovery program. Surely, the grace he receives is also of God; the only difference is that he becomes aware of his gift more gradually.

Prayer for the Day: God, help me to constructively review my day. Where was I resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do I owe an apology? Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once? Was I kind and loving toward all? What could I have done better? Was I thinking of myself most of the time? Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, of what I could pack into the stream of life? Please forgive me for my harms and wrongs today and let me know corrective measures I should be take.

bluidkiti 09-14-2017 05:49 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 14

Emotional Security
The most common symptoms of emotional insecurity are worry, anger, self-pity, and depression.
These stem from causes which sometimes seem to be within us, and at other times to come from
without. To take inventory in this respect we ought to consider carefully all personal
relationships which bring continuous or recurring trouble. It should be remembered that
this kind of insecurity may arise in any area where instincts are threatened.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 52

Thought to Ponder
I need to uncover in order to recover.

AA-related 'Alconym'
C H A O S = Creating Havoc Arround OurSelves.

Comfort
"When I am feeling depressed,
I repeat to myself statements such as these:
'Pain is the touchstone of progress.' . . . 'Fear no evil.' . . .
'This, too, will pass.' . . .
'This experience can be turned to benefit.'
These fragments of prayer bring far more than comfort.
They keep me on the track of right acceptance;
they break up my compulsive themes of guilt,
depression, rebellion, and pride;
and sometimes they endow me with the courage
to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."
Bill W., AAGrapevine, March 1962
c. 1967AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 110

God enters us through our wounds.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
H E L P = Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience.

Upkeep
>From "Having Fun Yet":
"When my own house is in order, I find the different parts of my life are more manageable. Stripped from the guilt and remorse that cloaked my drinking years, I am free to assume my proper role in the universe, but this condition requires maintenance. I should stop and ask myself, Am I having fun yet? If I find answering that question difficult or painful, perhaps I'm taking myself too seriously and finding it difficult to admit that I've strayed from my practice of working the program to keep my house in order."
1990 AAWS, Inc.; Daily Reflections, pg. 31

"The way our 'worthy' alcoholics have sometimes tried to judge the 'less worthy' is, as we look back on it, rather comical. Imagine, if you can, one alcoholic judging another!"
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., August 1946
"Who Is a Member of Alcoholics Anonymous?"

"When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could
not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that
either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is or He
isn't."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 53~

If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were
sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have
recovered long ago. But we found that such codes and philosophies did not
save us, no matter how much we tried. We could wish to be moral, we
could wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will
these things with all our might, but the needed power wasnt there. Our
human resources, as marshalled by the will, were not sufficient,
they failed utterly.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 44~

I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 76

Learning daily to spot, admit, and correct these flaws is the essence of character-building and good living.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 95

The unique ability of each A.A. to identify himself with, and bring recovery to, the newcomer in no way depends upon his learning, his eloquence, or any special individual skills. The only thing that matters is that he is an alcoholic who has found a key to sobriety.
In my first conversation with Dr. Bob, I bore down heavily on the medical hopelessness of his case, freely using Dr. Silkworth's words describing the alcoholic's dilemma, the 'obsession plus allergy' theme. Though Bob was a doctor, this was news to him, bad news. And the fact that I was an alcoholic and knew what I was talking about from personal experience made the blow a shattering one.
You see, our talk was a completely mutual thing. I had quit preaching. I knew that I needed this alcoholic as much as he needed me.

Prayer for the Day: Dear God, Having had a spiritual experience, I must now remember that "faith without works is dead." And PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. So, God, please help me to carry this message to other alcoholics! Provide me with the guidance and wisdom to talk with another alcoholic because I can help when no one else can. Help me secure his confidence and remember he is ill.

bluidkiti 09-15-2017 05:18 AM

AA Thought for the Day

September 15

Insanity
What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats time after time
the desperate experiment of the first drink? Friends who have reasoned with
him after a spree which has brought him to the point of divorce or bankruptcy
are mystified when he walks directly into a saloon.
Why does he? Of what is he thinking?
- Alcoholics Anonmy, p. 35

Thought to Ponder
Alcohol—cunning, baffling, powerful!

AA-related 'Alconym'
I S M = Incredibly Short Memory.

*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Fear
"We of AA now find ourselves in a world characterized
by destructive fears as never before in history.
But in it we nevertheless see great areas of faith
and tremendous aspirations toward justice and brotherhood.
Yet no prophet can presume to say whether the world outcome
will be blazing destruction or the beginning,
under God's intention,
of the brightest era yet known to mankind. . .
We AA's can say that we do not fear the world outcome,
whichever course it may take.
This is because we have been enabled to deeply
feel and say,
'We shall fear no evil - Thy will, not ours, be done.' "
Bill W., January 1962
c. 1988AAGrapevine, The Language of the Heart, p. 268

Let us always love the best in others -
and never fear their worst

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F A I T H = Fear Ain't In This House

Bright Spot
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.
Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 89

"The next time you feel hurt, outraged, bitter or resentful - the beginning of many a slip as attested to by AA speakers - try to remember quickly that you haven't been mortally harmed. In nearly all cases, it's just a pain in your feelings!"
Elmhurst, N.Y., March 1950
"Got a Pain in Your Feelings?"
Emotional Sobriety II

"A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, Page 133~

Helping others is the foundation stone of your recovery. A kindly
act once in a while isnt enough. You have to act the Good
Samaritan
every day, if need be.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 97~

Nothing counted but thoroughness and honesty.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 65

With a proper display of honesty and morality, we'd stand a better chance of getting what we really wanted.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 72

Some will object to many of the questions that should be answered in a moral inventory, because they think their own character defects have not been so glaring. To these, it can be suggested that a conscientious examination is likely to reveal the very defects the objectionable questions are concerned with.
Because our surface record hasn't looked too bad, we have frequently been abashed to find that this is so simply because we have buried these selfsame defects deep down in us under thick layers of self-justification. Those were the defects that finally ambushed us into alcoholism and misery.

Prayer for the Day: God, Help Me Live Today - God, more than anything else in the world, I just don't want to be sick anymore. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (people, places, and things), The courage to change the things I can (my attitudes), And the common sense to know the difference. God, help me please, stay clean and sober this day, even if it's in spite of myself. Help me Lord, stay sensitive to my own needs, and the things that are good for me, the needs of others and the things that are good for them. And if You please, Lord, free me enough of the bondage of self that I may be of some useful value as a human being, whether I understand or not, That I may carry my own keys, maintain my own integrity, and live this day at peace with You, at peace with myself, and at peace with the world I live in, just for today. God help me in this day, demonstrate that: It is good for me to love and be loved. It is good for me to understand and to be understood. It is good for me to give and to receive. It is good for me to comfort and to allow myself to be comforted. And it obviously far better for me to be useful as a human being, than it is for me to be selfish. God, help me please put one foot in front of the other, keep moving forward and do the best I can with what I have to work with today, Accepting the results of whatever that may or may not be.