Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - May (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3551)

bluidkiti 05-13-2014 10:55 AM

May 16

A GLORIOUS MIRACLE

“I have hope to share and love to give, and I just keep going one day at a time, living this adventure called life.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 288 (Fourth Edition)

“Who can list the glorious miracles of the Lord? Who can ever praise Him half enough?” Psalm 106: 2

For what it's worth: Alcoholism was a disease of take, take, take, and it left nothing to give. It was only after I attended my first meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous that I had anything of value to give. That was the hope I found there - a treasure from God for one who had lived so long in despair. Alcoholics Anonymous taught me to keep it I had to give it away. So, one day at a time, I keep on this path where “rarely have we seen a person fail”, trying to give hope to anyone in need that God puts before me that day. For a once worthless drunk to be able to share a gift of God with another suffering soul is, indeed, a glorious miracle. And, truly, I can never thank him enough.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-13-2014 10:56 AM

May 17

THE FIERCE LION

“He begins to think life doesn't treat him right.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 61

“I am surrounded by fierce lions who greedily devour human prey...My heart is confident in you, O God.” Psalm 57: 4 & 7

For what it's worth: My belief that life did not treat me right promoted self-pity and fueled my drinking for years. My pride did not want to admit self-pity, so I did not identify it until I was long sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. Then I learned how to combat it - exactly what I have to do as soon as it attacks - go to war with it. Self-pity is a fierce lion roaring into my soul to devour my sobriety. And I foolishly open the door to it as soon as I become the least non-accepting of life on life's terms. When self-pity first strikes, I have to run to my Heavenly Father, thinking of all His blessings as I run. Gratitude drives out self-pity. When I am with my Heavenly Father and telling him how much I appreciate all of the gifts He has so freely given me, self-pity cannot mount an attack. This battle plan has worked so well so often that I feel confident my Heavenly Father and I will slay the fierce lion again should it attack when I am weak.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-15-2014 10:03 AM

May 18

A SURE JOURNEY

“Some of us grow into it more slowly.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 57

“The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” Psalms 119: 130

For what it's worth: Alcoholism reduced me to a mess of shame and fear, and I used arrogance and anger to hide it. Fortunately, Alcoholics Anonymous accepted me just as I was. My defenses slowed progress until I began to trust the people and the process of Alcoholics Anonymous. Then I was free to experience a gradual awareness of God's love in my life, even before Alcoholics Anonymous, otherwise I could not have walked through the door. It is by the grace of God that I am sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, traveling hand in hand with Him one day at a time up to an even higher and happier place. The path we are on may seem dark and complicated at times as it passes through deserts and up mountains, but as long as I keep it simple and hold on to my Heavenly Father's hand, the progress is sure.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-15-2014 10:04 AM

May 19

GOD'S GARDENERS

“We find it a waste of time to keep chasing a man who cannot or will not work with you.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 96

“One man sows and another reaps.” John 4:37

For what it's worth: When I finally knocked at the door of Alcoholics Anonymous, I believed I had nothing left to give. Alcoholism had taken it all. The people of Alcoholics Anonymous, however, taught me I had a precious gift to offer other suffering alcoholics; one they may never receive otherwise; namely, how I got sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. Additionally, I was taught giving the gift was my best way of remaining sober. Being desperate to stay sober, I tried to carry the message as often as possible. I would save the world. But the world did not want to be saved, and I ran into strong resistance. Naturally, I wanted to fight back, but my sponsor pointed out that this Twelve Step work was keeping me sober, and that I might be planting a seed that later would grow into sobriety for the suffering, resistant soul. Since then, this once no good drunk has been blessed to be one of God's gardeners. I have planted a lot of seeds.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-18-2014 12:21 PM

May 20

A REBORN SPIRIT

“We were reborn.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

"Just as you can hear the wind but can't tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can't explain how people are born of the Spirit." John 3: 8

For what it's worth: Resentment and alcohol locked my mind against anything regarding religion, and the term "reborn" sounded too religious to me. Once the alcohol was eliminated, and I was long sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, living the Twelve Steps, I experienced a “spiritual awakening”. I could not identify it and I did not know words to express it, but I realized there was a change deep inside me. I knew I was a different man. Call it “reborn” if you will, but it is far more than religious in nature - it is definitely spiritual. A Spirit of light and comfort has entered my once dark and empty soul. I no longer spit at myself in the mirror; I trust now; my fears have subsided; the conflict in my gut is gone; the intensity and rage are calm; my defiance has disappeared; and, I no longer fight the world and God – I have surrendered. God and I are on the same side now. Actually, we travel together on a daily spiritual journey. I am deeply grateful He chose this once worthless drunk to be with Him, and I have noticed we make better progress when He leads and I follow.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-18-2014 12:22 PM

May 21

BUILDING SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLES

"Now we try to put spiritual principles to work in every department of our lives." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 116

"Their foundation is dust, and they are crushed as easy as moths." Job 4:19

For what it's worth: My foundation was easily crushed when I fell into alcoholism. Eventually, no morals remained and self was my only care. With everything focused on me, I hurt everyone I touched and drove them away. In time, that lonely existence produced unbearable misery, forcing me to do something I never thought I would do: ask for help. When I finally asked Alcoholics Anonymous, I found that I needed long-term intensive care, consisting of daily meetings, close contact with long-time members, doing service work, going to institution meetings, and an introduction to the Twelve Steps and a Higher Power. That started me building a solid foundation of spiritual principles for a new life with the Twelve Steps as my tools and the grace of a loving God as my strength. Now, daily, I have to ensure my foundation is no longer “dust”, “crushed as easy as moths”, and that those spiritual principles “work in every department” of my life. I am dependent upon God’s help with this each day. I must admit He always works harder than I do, and He is much better at it than I am. But I do not let that bother me. After all, He has been doing this work a lot longer than I have.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-20-2014 10:10 AM

May 22

THE BIG “IF”

“On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24

For what it's worth: During my years of alcoholic despair, the sunrise brought neither light nor warmth into my dark gloom. Each day was a day of dread. And I expected no change when I attended my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. Sure, I knew that A.A. had helped others, but it could not help me. Despite my defeatism and arrogant resistance, however, it was at my first meeting that I found a ray of light, a slight embrace of warmth, and a drop of hope. And that strong undercurrent of impending doom swallowing me loosened its grip. It continued to release me with each meeting I attended. I began seeing the light and experiencing the warmth and hope of each new dawn. I was no longer dreading each day but actually enjoying a few. Slowly, I came to understand what A.A. people had been telling me about one day at a time. And, with practice over a long period of sobriety, I learned to take life that way – one day at a time – because that is how it comes. When I awake, there are only twenty-four hours ahead. And this is the day that God has made for me, no other, not yesterday, and not tomorrow. If I put His will before mine and rejoice and be glad in these twenty-four hours with Him - it will be a great day.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-20-2014 10:17 AM

May 23

A BIG DIFFERENCE

“Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84

“You will be changed into a different person.” 1 Samuel 10:6

For what it's worth: What alcoholism made of me was not pretty. What Alcoholics Anonymous and a Higher Power are creating is much different – perhaps not prettier, but much different. I am not the same man I was before. Oh, I can revert back and be even worse. The progressive nature of this disease would see to that. But, today, that is not likely because of one gigantic change that takes place as soon as I am awake. Before, I dreaded each day and cursed God for making me suffer another one. Today, I thank God first thing each new day and spend time with Him, seeking His will for that new day. And, occasionally, I actually do it.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-22-2014 10:41 AM

May 24

SIMPLY BEING HIS

"I find joy in my daily life, in being of service, in simply being.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 475, (Fourth Edition)

"You will make known to me the path of life." Psalm 16: 11

For what it's worth: Alcoholism drove me to suicidal drinking every night. I dreaded facing another miserable day. When I awoke and realized I did not die, I cursed God for being so cruel, making me suffer another day in my death. Instead of death, thanks to God’s loving mercy, each day became a day in my life, and I thank God that I did not die. He led me to a “path of life” in Alcoholics Anonymous, and as I walked this path, I experienced “joy in my daily life”. Likewise, I experienced how easy it is to miss this joy on any given day, when I place my interests before God’s. I have done this too often, so, today I will try to be mindful that my life is not about ME, it is God’s. I will do my best “being of service, in simply being” His.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-22-2014 10:42 AM

May 25

A GOOD & SAFE PLACE

"You don't have to cry here. This is a good place." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 431 (Fourth Edition)

"Oh, that my eyes were a fountain of tears; I would weep forever!" Jeremiah 9:1

For what it's worth: Tired of living, frightened of death, my tears of despair seemed forever. Many desperate but halfhearted attempts at change had already failed, so there was no hope when I reluctantly walked into my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. Surprisingly, the depth of sharing in the language of the heart among the people there grabbed onto me and I kept coming back as they asked. I believed they meant it. Actually, I found A.A. to be a “good place” where I felt safe to cry a lake or two of tears of regret and shame. Gradually, those lakes dried out, but I still cry. When I do, they are tears of gratitude and joy – an ocean full.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-23-2014 10:47 AM

May 26

A SUNRISE OF HOPE

“We had to find a power by which we could live...” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 45

“My only hope is in your unfailing love and faithfulness.” Psalm 40: 11

For what it's worth: As a slave to alcoholism, every day opened with the darkness of despair. Sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous changes everything. It is a ray of light bursting through the darkness. Now each day opens with a sunrise of hope. Sure, some days there are clouds trying to block the sunshine. But a merciful, loving Higher Power that I found in Alcoholics Anonymous never fails to part the clouds so a sunrise of hope can shine all day.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-23-2014 10:48 AM

May 27

SOMETHING TO GIVE

“But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

“If I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.” 1 Corinthians 13: 3

For what it's worth: Alcoholism destroyed all the love in my life and left me feeling incapable of love. I felt empty and worthless when I attended my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I had nothing to give. But I found people there who had plenty to give. They gave me the priceless treasure of a merciful Higher Power who I came to trust loved me unconditionally. They gave me a proven program of Twelve Steps that, in turn, gave me a spiritual experience that left me feeling capable of love. All during this time these good people were showing me how to give as they gave. And as I followed them, doing what they did, I learned to give. Now, as they taught me, I can give love away to keep it, and when another suffering soul reaches out for love, I want to be there.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-26-2014 11:18 AM

May 28

STOPPING -- ONLY THE START

"If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

"...You have freed me from my bonds." Psalm 116:16

For what it's worth: Alcoholism ruined me from the inside out, including every part of my being. A total transformation was necessary for recovery. The only Program I found capable of this was Alcoholics Anonymous. First, I had to stop drinking, and as difficult and significant as that was, it was only the start. Abstinence then allowed the steel doors to open to reveal the real me, chained in many bonds - bondage of self, slavery to habits of reaction, defense mechanisms, old ideas, unknown fears, and resentments. The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and a merciful Higher Power are working together to set me free. And it looks like gaining total freedom will be a life long process. So every morning I ask God for willingness to persevere and enough humility to ask for help.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-26-2014 11:18 AM

May 29

EXPERIENCING THE SUNSHINE

“I stood in the sunlight at last.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 12

“What a wonderful God he is! His radiance is like the sunshine.” Habakkuk 3:4

For what it's worth: Alcoholism is a dark, gloomy, and miserable existence. Perhaps that is why one experience in my life is so significant. I was sober about six years in Alcoholics Anonymous when a near death experience resulted in a long hospital stay. It seemed I had been hospitalized forever when a kind nurse asked if I needed anything. I asked her to take me out into the sunshine. She wheel chaired me outdoors and allowed me to stay there a short while. When I remember that day, I still feel grateful. And, if I am having a dark day, recalling it I can experience the warmth and radiance of simply sitting in the sunshine.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-27-2014 11:52 AM

May 30

ACCEPTANCE AND TRUST

"Acceptance is the key to my relationship with God today." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 420, (Fourth Edition)

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” Romans 8:28

For what it's worth: In my insane alcoholic mind, it certainly was not alcohol, it was God causing my miserable existence. Surely, He did not care for me. I needed to be sober and sane in Alcoholics Anonymous for a long period before my relationship with God improved. Acceptance of my alcoholism came first. Then, much later, I accepted that I was still alive and sober because of God's love. As my acceptance of God's love grew, I came to believe I could trust Him. Gradually, I came to know God as my Heavenly Father, and I was seeing that He was causing everything, especially difficulties, to work together for my good. I also accepted His purpose for me. This level of acceptance inspired my love for Him and my willingness to do His will. Since I still have difficulty doing that, I am extremely grateful that I can climb up in my Heavenly Father's lap, tell Him I am sorry, and ask Him to help me do better. He always does because He loves me. This gift of acceptance and trust of my Heavenly Father's love is the foundation of any spiritual progress I might achieve.

God bless you!
Joe W.