Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reflections for Every Day - January (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5888)

yukonm 01-01-2015 07:49 AM

Reflections for Every Day - January

January 1

Pam Says:

I often feel that I am not doing my recovery "right" because I don't do many of the things I hear others talk about at meetings. But I haven't had a drink for almost two years... so I must be doing something right!

yukonm 01-02-2015 08:48 AM

January 2

Elissa G. Says:

Each day brings its own challenge. Living a sober life means living life on life's terms. In order to live this life, I must remember to use my recovery toolbox. In it are the tools given me by this fellowship. Prayer, meditation, the steps, a meeting, a chat with my sponsor... the direction to meet the challenge is there, if I remember to use the tools.

yukonm 01-02-2015 08:49 AM

January 3

Ariel Z. Says:

When I discovered my husband was drinking on his long commute home from work, I moved our whole family to another state to be closer to his job. Little did I realize he would wind up driving back to our old state to get alcohol in the middle of the night -- and then he would drink all the way home. You just can't control the disease no matter how hard you try. When I learned to turn it over and all that energy poured back into my own affairs, I got a whole new lease on life.

yukonm 01-02-2015 08:50 AM

January 4

Deb G. Says:

I have been in recovery many 24 hours and I would like to say a word about sponsorship. I have had many sponsors who just quit calling me back. This hurts and is confusing. I have learned now not to take it personally and to ALWAYS make it a point to call the people I sponsor back.

If you sponsor someone, I believe you have a responsibility to that person to return phone calls, emails, etc. If you can no longer fulfill this responsibility, please let your sponsees know you no longer have the time, energy, whatever to sponsor them. I urge members of our fellowship who are fortunate enough to be asked to sponsor someone not to just assume that person doesn't need to hear from you (no matter how many 24 hours the sponsee has been sober).

yukonm 01-05-2015 08:43 AM

January 5

Steve R. Says:

Honesty - What a novel concept, and an absolute necessity in recovery. We've become so accustomed in our addiction/alcoholism to lying to ourselves (and everyone else), that becoming honest is a radical change that is a mighty tall order to fulfill.

First, we must become honest with ourselves, and the first and most important step to achieving this is to admit we have a problem and that we need to do something about it.

The second thing is to be honest with one's own 'higher power' or 'a God of one's own understanding'. This, at first, involves admitting what we admitted to ourselves and asking for help in overcoming the addiction/alcoholism we're battling.

Third comes honesty with others. Through becoming honest with ourselves and our higher power, this becomes possible and achievable.

While honesty, by and of itself, does not constitute recovery, it is an integral part of it. Honesty must become a daily part of our lives: with ourselves, a God of our own understanding, and others.

yukonm 01-06-2015 09:18 AM

January 6

Marise B. Says:

Faith has allowed me to have trust in the process. Trusting in the process helped me trust in oneself. I needed to get to the meetings to understand the process and I will not trade places with another. I am three years sober and I have never experienced so much joy and freedom from bondage. I now have true meaning in my life and are grateful to all those who had faith in me when I was down.

Life is a miracle and my past is an asset. My future is in the hands of my higher power and the spiritual principles, however there is action I need to carry out if I want to remain sober. It's not about what I want but what I need to do. Best wishes to you all and don't give up, there is hope for us all.

bluidkiti 01-08-2015 03:35 AM

January 7

Coleman J. Says:

Two questions I try to remember to ask myself whenever I'm faced with a difficult situation:
Would my Higher Power approve of what I am about to do?

What would an ADULT do in a situation like this?

bluidkiti 01-08-2015 03:36 AM

January 8

Carrie Says:

Every bottle has a bottom. It might look good when it's full, but it is depressing when it is empty! Yet 'One drink is too many and a thousand are not enough.' Another bottle is never the answer.
Every bender leads to the fear and misery that come with those Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that always accompany me on my journey back to sobriety and freedom -freedom from the bottle!