Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - January (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22169)

bluidkiti 01-01-2021 05:01 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - January

January 1

New Year's Prayer

As the dawn breaks on a new year, let us give thanks for all we hold dear: our health, our family and our friends.

Let us release our grudges, our anger and our pains, for these are nothing but binding chains. Let us live each day in the most loving ways, the God-conscious way. Let us serve all who are in need, regardless of race, color or creed.

Let us keep God of our own understanding in our hearts and to chant God's name each day. Let us lead the world from darkness to light, from falsehood to truth and from wrong to right.

Let us remember that we are all one, embracing all, discriminating against none.

May your year be filled with peace, prosperity and love. May God's blessings shower upon you and bestow upon each of you a bright, healthy and peaceful new year.

-~ Rev. Marcy Sheremetta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Some of the rewards that have come to us as a result of our new way of living: we have found that we have got rid of any of our fears, resentments, inferiority complexes, negative points of view, self-centeredness, criticism of others, over-sensitiveness, inner conflicts, the habits of procrastination, undisciplined sex, wasting money, boredom, false perfectionism, jealousy, and envy of others. We are glad to be rid of our drinking, and we are also very glad to be rid of these other things. We can now go forward in the new way of life, as shown us by A.A.

So ............

Am I ready to go forward in the new life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Giving Up

When someone tells us a riddle, we may give up if we don't know the answer. We give up because we are tired of trying to get it, or because we are eager to find out what it is.

Giving up in other situations may be more difficult. We may need to give up eating something that isn't healthy for us. We may need to give up trying to win an argument. We may need to give up old clothes that we love which no longer fit us. When we don't want to give up, it may be because we have forgotten the knowledge, health, or peace of mind we gain by doing so.

In each case, giving up means growth and going on with our lives. Giving up may mean many different things in different situations, but it does not mean doing nothing. It means doing what seems right for us and giving up the expectation that what happens will be exactly what we want. So I gain by giving up something that is harmful today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith

To me, this means a belief in a Creator who is all power, justice, and love; a God who intends for me a purpose, a meaning, and a destiny to grow, however little and haltingly, toward His own likeness and image. Before the coming of faith I had lived as an alien in a cosmos that too often seemed both hostile and cruel. In it, there could be no inner security for me.

As Bill Sees It Page 51

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet." -- Jennifer Ritchie Payette

bluidkiti 01-02-2021 03:42 AM

January 2

Prayer of Uncertainness

Lord,
Please be a place of refuge and a constant presence of love and support for all those experiencing fear, anxiety, and loneliness. Please care for the physical needs of those who are struggling to provide for their families. Bring peace and healing to those who have lost loved ones or are dealing with life-threatening illnesses.

Please help us come to you for hope and guidance during times of uncertainty. We ask for your peace in place of our anxiety.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The way of A.A. is the way of sobriety, fellowship, service, and faith.

Let us take up each one of these things and see if our feet are truly on the way. The first and greatest to us is sobriety. The others are built on sobriety as a foundation. We could not have the others if we did not have sobriety. We all come to A.A. to get sober, and we stay to help others get sober. We are looking for sobriety first, last, and all the time. We cannot build any decent kind of a life unless we stay sober.

So ............

Am I on the A.A. way?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Trust

Self-trust is the firm reliance on the integrity of yourself. There is a difference between a life that is grounded in self-trust and one that is not. When we look at examples of people who are self-trusting, we find that they have clarity and confidence in their choices. They are interdependent, which includes healthy dependency, not overly dependent or hyper-independent. They speak with authority that comes from a deep place within but are not arrogant. They are good observers and have cultivated the ability to learn from their experiences, both the successes and failures.

Because they can trust themselves to not be punitive when they make mistakes, they can look openly at their experience without fear of self-punishment. If my agenda is to protect myself from external or internal recrimination, I am not going to be able to examine my experience because my primary intention is not to learn but to protect myself.

I will let go of my fears about trusting myself because I have made mistakes in the past. I understand that these fears only serve to impair my judgment today. I will give my past, even my mistakes, validity by accepting and being grateful for it all. I will strive to see what I've gained from my mistakes. I will try to look at all my good decisions too. I will keep a watchful eye for improvement, for overall progress, in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uniqueness

I just did not believe that AA would work for me as a black drunk. I genuinely believed I was different until much later, when I had what I now know to be my first spiritual awakening: that I was an alcoholic and I didn't have to drink! I also learned that alcoholism, as an equal opportunity illness, does not discriminate -- is not restricted to race, creed, or geography. At last I was released from the bondage of my uniqueness.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"So many times, when we are being of service to others, we find the answer or solution to our own problems." -- Madisyn Taylor

bluidkiti 01-03-2021 04:39 AM

January 3

Prayer for Those Who Struggle

We pray for those who struggle.
We pray for those who struggle at this time of huge uncertainty;
for political leaders faced with unforeseen challenges, uncharted ways, difficult decisions,

We pray for those in situations never before experienced.
We pray for moms and dads who struggle with having children at home all day.
It is difficult to find new activities; it is hard to stay creative.

We pray for those who struggle,
We pray for those whose day is radically different.
We pray for those who must leave their usual workspace,
for those breadwinners who must work at home.

We pray for those who have lost their jobs
We pray for those whose financial security has gone,,
who have anxiety around paying rent or providing for family needs .

We pray for those who have been affected by the Covid 19 virus.
Those who are sick at home and those who have been hospitalized,
in their suffering, and in their fear.

Lord please remind us that we are not alone.
We thank You for standing with us, as we receive your strength to stand another day.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. way is the way of sobriety.

A.A. is known everywhere as a method that has been successful with alcoholics. Doctors, psychiatrists, and the clergy have had some success. Some men and women have gotten sober all by themselves. We believe that A.A. is the most successful and happiest way to sobriety. And yet A.A. is, of course, not wholly successful. Some are unable to achieve sobriety and some slip back into alcoholism after they have had some measure of sobriety.

So ............

Am I deeply grateful to have found A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Balance

Seek balance.
Balance emotions with reason.
Combine detachment with doing our part.
Balance giving with receiving.
Alternate work with play, business with personal activities.

Balance tending to our spiritual needs with tending to our other needs.
Juggle responsibilities to others with responsibilities to ourselves.
Balance caring about others with caring about ourselves.
Whenever possible, let's be good to others, but be good to ourselves too.
Some of us have to make up for lost time.
I will strive for balance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obsession

We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.” -- Theodore Roosevelt

bluidkiti 01-04-2021 03:25 AM

January 4

On This Day Prayer

Dear God,
On this day I ask You to grant this request.
May I know who I am and what I am, every moment of every day.
May I be a catalyst for light and love, and bring inspiration to those whose eyes I meet.
May I have the strength to stand tall in the face of conflict, and the courage to speak my voice, even when I'm scared.
May I have the humility to follow my heart, and the passion to live my soul's desires.
May I seek to know the highest truth, and dismiss the gravitational pull of my lower self.
May I embrace and love the totality of myself? My darkness as well as my light.
May I be brave enough to hear my heart? To let it soften so that I may gracefully choose faith over fear.
Today is my day to surrender anything that stands between the sacredness of my humanity and my divinity.
May I be drenched in my Holiness and engulfed by Your love.
May all else melt away.
And so it is.

— Debbie Ford

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The thoughts that come before having a slip are often largely subconscious.

It is a question whether or not our subconscious minds ever become entirely free from alcoholic thoughts as long as we live. For instance, some of us dream about being drunk when we are asleep, even after several years of sobriety in A.A. During the period of our drinking days, our subconscious minds have been thoroughly conditioned by our alcoholic way of thinking and it is doubtful if they ever become entirely free of such thoughts during our lifetime. But when our conscious minds are fully conditioned against drinking, we can stay sober and our subconscious minds do not often bother us.

So ............

Am I still conditioning my conscious mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Nurturing

Sometimes, we need nurturing. Sometimes, we need people to support us.
Many of us have been deprived of support and nurturing for so long we may not realize it's something we want and need. Many of us have learned to block or stop ourselves from getting what we want and need.

We may not reach out to have our needs met. We may be in relationships with people who cannot or will not be available to meet our needs. Or we may be in relationships with people who would be happy to respond to a direct request from us.

We may have to let go of our fears enough to experience the intimacy that will occur when we allow someone to love and support us. We may even have to learn, one day at a time, how to be happy and content. Even learn to let others be there for us.

I will try to be open to identifying what I need from people, and I will ask for what I want directly. I will let others be there for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self-worth

I know that I am not a total loss, even when I think I am. I know that freedom, and usefulness, love, outgoingness and sharing are the important things in life. But even more important, I have to care for myself and achieve a sense of self-worth. So I continue to listen. I am still open to suggestions. I continue on my way. And I am on my way up.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], Page. 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” -- Thich Nhat Hanh

bluidkiti 01-05-2021 05:00 AM

January 5

Prayer of Renewal

Dear God,
I pray for your encouragement to light my path today.
I humbly ask for a renewal of hope within me.
Forgive me for my times of doubt and for getting caught up in self pity.
I know it is not of you.
Lord, I pray for someone to help today.
Put them before me and help me to make a difference in their life.
I pray about my impatience and anxiety.
Lord, calm me down: steady me.
Please guide every step I take and every decision I must make today.
Watch over me and keep me from harm.
Amen.

-- C.L.Murphy 2015

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have slips in A.A.

It has been said these are not slips but premeditated drunks, because we have to think about taking a drink before we actually take one. The thought always comes before the act. It is suggested that people should always get in touch with an A.A. before taking that first drink. The failure to do so makes it probable that they had decided to take the drink anyway. And yet the thoughts that come before taking a drink are often largely subconscious. People usually don't know consciously what made them do it. Therefore, the common practice is to call these things slips.

So ............

Am I on guard against wrong thinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Laughter

Laughing with others is important. Learning to laugh at our own problems, however, is even more important. Since we will continue to live with situations that cause us all types of problems, we may as well learn to laugh at ourselves.

Often with chronic illness, coordination changes. Reaction time may be slower. Sensitivity to cold, heat, or pain may be altered. It’s only logical that we will find ourselves in potentially embarrassing situations because of our bodies.

Often, a hearty laugh at all the strange situations flung our way is just the thing to help us work through what is painful and difficult. Laughter is a gift we give to ourselves. We can carry it with us whenever we go, it will always be ours.

I am headed in the right direction when I can laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Loneliness to Solitude

As the sober weeks go by, we can enjoy and treasure the few moments of solitude we are able to find in the rush and hurry of life today. When we cease to fear loneliness and begin to cherish and use our solitude to advantage, we have come a long way. We realize a little solitude is necessary to think and to try to work some of the Steps. In solitude, we take our inventories. In solitude, we admit to ourselves the exact nature of our wrongs. In solitude, our spirits seek that Power greater than we are; in solitude, we seek through prayer and meditation to be aware of God's will for us.

Came to Believe Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"In my spiritual program today I am free to reject, consider and have my own opinions in life. I do not simply have to agree with everything that is said, in this way I am discovering my value and self-esteem." -- Leo Booth

bluidkiti 01-06-2021 05:03 AM

January 6

Prayer to Stop Worry

Lord, it’s so easy to fall into worry.
When my fears are reverberating in my mind, help me stop trying to fix everything myself.
Teach me to turn to You in prayer, trust You to be in charge and let Your peace reign over me.
Amen.

~ Francine Rivers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Since I've been in A.A., have I made a start toward being more unselfish?

Do I no longer want my own way in everything? When things go wrong and I can't have what I want, do I no longer sulk? Am I trying not to waste money on myself? And does it make me happy to see my family and my home have enough attention from me?

So ............

Am I trying not to be all "get" and no "give"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Blame

There are so many occasions when we would like to blame somebody - wife, child, parent, or "the management," for our feelings. When we get frustrated, overworked, or angry, we want somebody else to take responsibility. In truth, each of us has his own path and is responsible for their feelings.

This blaming and not taking responsibility keep a person in the role of victim. When we accept the difficult message that our feelings are ours to deal with and no one else's, self-improvement begins. We begin to walk the difficult but self respecting path of spiritual awakening. We can do something about whatever hurts. Even in that awakening there are no guarantees that who we are will be totally what we want to find. Our only guarantee is that our God is with us to deal with the realities of our lives. I will try to be responsible for what I feel and do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility

Our AA program is spiritually centered. Most of us have found enough humility to believe in and depend upon God. We have found that humility by facing the fact that alcoholism is a fatal malady over which we are individually powerless.

The Language of the Heart Page 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We get so much in the habit of wearing a disguise before others that we eventually appear disguised before ourselves." ~ Jim Bishop

bluidkiti 01-07-2021 04:27 AM

January 7

Prayer to Restore

Lord,
Replace the tension within me with relaxation.
Replace the turbulence within me with calm.
Replace the anxiety within me with a quiet confidence.
Replace the fear within me with a strong faith.
Replace the bitterness within me with the sweetness.
Replace the darkness within me with a glowing light.
Replace the coldness within me with gentle warmth.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

There is some alcoholic thought, conscious or unconscious that comes before every slip.

As long as we live, we must be on the lookout for such thoughts and guard against them. In fact, our A.A. training is mostly to prepare us, to make us ready to recognize such thoughts at once and to reject them at once. The slip comes when we allow such thoughts to remain in our minds, even before we actually go through the motions of lifting the glass to our lips. The A.A. program is largely one of mental training.

So ............

How well is my mind prepared?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Faith

What is faith? It is believing in possibilities. It is the ability to carry on with our plans or to be true to our work even though we feel discouraged or tired. It is staying active in relationships even when we receive little in return or when our friends aren't able to respond.

If there were no doubt, there would be no need for faith. Faith is temporarily putting our doubts on the shelf and working toward our goals. Faith is trusting that help and support will be there for us even though they're not in view. It is looking at a map and choosing a new destination, getting on the road to go there, and trusting the marks on the map symbolize a real place that we will find.

I will leave room for my doubts and discouragement, but I will not indulge them. I will choose to go with hope. I will give my energy to the better possibilities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open Mind

To get sober and to stay sober, all you really need is a truly open mind. Just resign from the debating society and quit bothering yourself with such deep questions as whether it was the hen or the egg that came first. Again I say, all you need is the open mind.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 26

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Try to make at least one person happy every day. If you cannot do a kind deed, speak a kind word. If you cannot speak a kind word, think a kind thought. Count up, if you can, the treasure of happiness that you would dispense in a week, in a year, in a lifetime.” -- Lawrence G. Lovaski

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Just a Note ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today Is Orthodox Christmas Day

Most Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas Day on January 7 in the Gregorian calendar, in use today. This date works to be December 25 in the Julian calendar, which pre-dates the Gregorian calendar. For many Orthodox Christians, Christmas Day is not about presents, it is a time to heal the soul. It is also a time of peace and unity.

bluidkiti 01-08-2021 04:36 AM

January 8

Prayer for Empathy, Vulnerability and Curiosity

God,
We pray for Empathy – seeking to understand: ideas, people, situations, ourselves, our faith, our hopes, seeking, exploring the why of life, the why of who we are. seeking because we know that only by seeking, do we go beyond ourselves, to where answers reside, answers that we had never considered. And we are enriched, by becoming more whole.

We pray that we would be Vulnerable – open to being influenced to new ideas, new possibilities. Lives enriched with new experiences, horizons, things we thought not possible. Surprise us, our God We know change causes us to be vulnerable; as we become less capable of adapting, changes seem greater as our limits become more apparent, our abilities seem in decline simple things, small changes take on greater magnitude.

Keep ideas, possibilities, dreams, hopes, growing in and around us. So that change is not an inhibitor, but stimulation into new life.
Cause our attitude to change to be invitational, not to create whirlwind in our lives, but measured growth
Keep us Curious about life, exploring and discovering, growing into understanding, more of the mystery of life as we walk with you author of life, and our guide.
As we seek these things for ourselves, we pray that they become realities for those around us.
Use us as channels of understanding, influence, curiosity, to help others grow. We take our part in your creation more fully when we offer ourselves to others and to you. Use us, we pray.

Place people in our path that will cause us to grow and whom we can help grow. The things we desire, we pray for those whom we find difficult to love, as well as those close to us.

Lord, lead us into wholeness, whatever that may be,
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If we allow an alcoholic thought to lodge in our minds for any length of time, we are in danger of having a slip.

Therefore we must dispel such thoughts at once, by refusing their admittance and by immediately putting constructive thoughts in their place. Remember that alcohol is poison to you. Remember that it is impossible for you to drink normally. Remember that one drink will lead to others and you will eventually be drunk. Remember what happened to you in the past as a result of your drinking. Think of every reason you have learned in A.A. for not taking that drink. Fill your mind with constructive thoughts.

So ............

Am I keeping my thoughts constructive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Beauty

So many people think that beauty is what you do to yourself; what you wear, makeup, clothes, hairstyles or expensive jewelry. Again it is so easy to get caught up in "things". Reality is not about what we wear but who we are.

The beauty that God has created comes from within. The twinkle in the eyes that says "hello". The hug that says "I love you". The gentle embrace and smile that says "I forgive you". The tear that cries "I understand".

When God said to the world, "It is good", Beauty was born. Drugs and crazy relationships only get in the way of us being what we were intended to be: beautiful for God.

I will try to put God's beauty in my actions, words and attitudes.
(From the writings of Leo Booth)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change

It never occurred to us that we needed to change ourselves to meet conditions, whatever they were. But in AA we slowly learned that something had to be done about our vengeful resentments, self-pity, and unwarranted pride. . . We learned that if we were seriously disturbed, our first need was to quiet that disturbance, regardless of who or what we thought caused it.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." -- Benjamin Franklin

bluidkiti 01-09-2021 05:31 AM

January 9

To Serve Prayer

God,
Help us to use the gifts you give us
for the people who need us.
Help us to see their need and, inspired by you,
reach beyond ourselves,
beyond our institutions,
to the very margins and bring all to you, the center.
May all we do be in preparation to serve more fully.
Send your Spirit to keep us aglow with the desire to serve others.

~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. alcoholics find a way to solve their personality problems.

They do this by recovering three things. First, they recover their personal integrity. They pull themselves together. They get honest with themselves and with other people. They face themselves and their problems honestly, instead of running away. They take a personal inventory of themselves to see where they really stand. Then they face the facts instead of making excuses for themselves.

So ............

Have I recovered my integrity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perfect Relationships

We shouldn't seek perfect relationships in marriage or in other places in our lives. What we seek instead are real and honest connections. Perfection has a picture-book form, but it has no depth and no personality. This means that sometimes we will get upset with others, or they will get upset with us. We need a basic commitment to stay in the relationship dialogue, to continue returning to it as long as both people are willing to work on it. Working through crises is how a relationship grows from simply being an idea to having its unique reality.

We will be frightened by the rough spots. We will wonder if there is something wrong with us or with the other person, or the relationship. We cannot escape such questions. To run from the difficulties cuts off the possibilities for growth. It is a frightening thing to become real, to come into consciousness.

I will pray for courage to remain honest and faithful to real relationships through all crises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joy and Peace

I have had my share of problems, heartaches, and disappointments, because that is life, but also I have known a great deal of joy and a peace that is the handmaiden of an inner freedom. I have a wealth of friends and, with my AA friends, an unusual quality of fellowship. For, to these people, I am truly related. First, through mutual pain and despair, and later through mutual objectives and newfound faith and hope.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 276

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you pray for anyone you tend to modify your personal attitude toward him.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale

bluidkiti 01-10-2021 05:55 AM

January 10

Prayer to Achieve Goals

God, thank you for waking me up this morning. Thank you Lord for giving me life and strength. Lord I ask for forgiveness of sin, all my mistakes I pray you have mercy. Help me to forgive others too. Draw me closer to you and nothing shall separate me from your love today. God help me to achieve all my goals and let them be in line with your plans. If there is an adjustment you would love me to make, God don’t hesitate to let me know so that I won’t waste my time chasing the wind. Let your will be done.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The length of time of our sobriety is not as important as its quality.

A person who has been in A.A. for a number of years may not be in as good mental condition as a person who has only been in a few months. It is a great satisfaction to have been an A.A. member for a long time and we often mention it. It may sometimes help the newer members, because they may say to themselves, "If they can do it, I can do it." And yet the older members must realize that as long as they live, they are only one drink away from a drunk.

So ............

What is the quality of my sobriety?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

We sometimes find it difficult to accept a compliment. We may feel we don't deserve such attention, and point out reasons why the compliment is untrue. When we act this way, we show a lack of love for ourselves.

God teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Yet, before we can love anyone, we must believe we are worthy of the same love. We can stop hiding behind feelings of unworthiness. There's nothing stopping us but ourselves. Sometimes it takes courage to say thank you when we get a compliment. Let's exercise that courage, and each time we do, we'll find our self-love growing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change

Let us never fear needed change. Certainly we have to discriminate between changes for worse and changes for better. But once a need becomes clearly apparent in an individual, in a group, or in AA as a whole, it has long since been found out that we cannot stand still and look the other way.

As Bill Sees It Page 115

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I cannot change what I am unwilling to face.” ~ James Baldwin

bluidkiti 01-11-2021 04:22 AM

January 11

Brick Wall Prayer

Lord, you know my fears and my desires.
Lord, don't let my desires blind me to your will.
If this is not within your plan for me, throw up a Brick Wall.
Give me an obstacle I cannot get past.
Help me follow your will.
Give me peace about whatever is to come.
If my desires falls through, I will know it is your hand.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The way of A.A. is the way of fellowship.

We have read a good deal about fellowship and yet it is such an important part of the A.A. program that it seems we cannot think too much about it. Human beings were not meant to live alone. A hermit's life is not a normal or natural one. We all need to be by ourselves at times, but we cannot really live without the companionship of others. Our natures demand it. Our lives depend largely upon it. The fellowship of A.A. seems to us to be the best in the world.

So ............

Do I fully appreciate what the fellowship of A.A. means to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Asking for Help

One of the most absurd things we do to ourselves is not asking for the help we need from a friend, a family member, our God, or the appropriate resource.

Whether what we need is information, encouragement, a hand, a word, a hug, someone who will listen, or a ride, we can ask. We can ask people for what we need from them. We can ask God for what we need from God. It is self-defeating to not ask for the help we need. We who are eager to help others can learn to allow ourselves to receive help.

I will not be a victim, helplessly waiting to be rescued. I will make my request for help specific, to the point, and I will leave room for the person to choose whether or not to help me. I will not be a martyr any longer by refusing to get the help I deserve in life - the help that makes life simpler.

We don't have to struggle through feelings and problems alone. It's okay to ask for help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vigilance

Now that we're in AA and sober, winning back the esteem of our friends and business associates, we find that we still need to exercise special vigilance. As an insurance against the dangers of big-shot-ism, we can often check ourselves by remembering that we are today sober only by the grace of God and that any success we may be having is far more His success than ours.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 92

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back."~ Thomas Sowell

bluidkiti 01-12-2021 04:52 AM

January 12

Ability to Speak Up Prayer

Lord, I feel held back by my timidity and fear of what others think of me. In times when I should speak up, I remain silent. Help me to have confidence in You and to be bold in saying what needs to be said. I ask that I have the courage to not let others talk over me. Please ease my fear that others will dislike me because of my words. Give me the wisdom to speak truthfully and sensitively. You are my source of boldness and strength. Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We did not realize what real fellowship could be.

A drinking fellowship has a fatal fault. It is not based on a firm foundation. Most of it is on the surface. It is based mostly on the desire to use your companions for your own pleasure, and using others is a false foundation. Drinking fellowship has been praised in song and story. The "cup that cheers" has become famous as a means of companionship. But we realize that the higher centers of our brains are dulled by alcohol and such fellowship cannot be on the highest plane. It is at best only a substitute.

So ............

Do I see my drinking fellowship in its proper light?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Empowerment

You can think. You can make good decisions. You can make choices that are right for you. Yes, we all make mistakes from time to time. But we are not mistakes. We can make a new decision that takes new information into account. We can change our mind from time to time. That's our right too. We don't have to be intellectuals to make good choices.

Other people can think too. And that means we no longer have to feel responsible for other people's decisions. That also means we are responsible for our choices. We can reach out to others for feedback. We can ask for information. We can take opinions into account. But it is our task to make our own decisions.

I will treasure the gift of my mind. I will do my own thinking, make my own choices, and value my opinions. I will be open to what others think, but I will take responsibility for myself. I will ask for and trust that the Divine Wisdom is guiding me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fear of Rejection

Almost without exception, my AA friends admitted that they had struggled with the same feelings. Some claimed that their fear of rejection stemmed from a lack of self-worth; some of the men laid the difficulty to feelings of inadequacy stimulated by years of drinking. It was also asserted that we couldn't stand the responsibility of being loved and so sought rejection in subtle ways. About the only thing that everyone agreed upon completely was that this problem, like our drinking problem, had a spiritual solution.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1] Page 16

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Most fears of rejection rest on the desire for approval from other people. Don't base your self-esteem on their opinions.” ~ Harvey Mackay

bluidkiti 01-13-2021 04:19 AM

January 13

Not Judging Others Prayer

Lord, I have come to You for help. I am struggling with judging others.
Teach me how to pray for others when I realize they are struggling instead of judging them.
Help me to have a heart that shows compassion and mercy to people who hurting.
I pray You would bless those whom I have judged and that Your grace would be real to them.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Some Doctors think of the A.A. fellowship as group therapy.

This is a very narrow conception of the depth of the A.A. fellowship. Looking at it purely as a means of acquiring and holding sobriety, it is right as far as it goes. But it doesn't go far enough. Group therapy is directed toward the help that the individual receives from it. It is essentially selfish. It is using the companionship of other alcoholics only in order to stay sober ourselves. But this is only the beginning of real A.A. fellowship.

So ............

Do I deeply feel the true A.A. fellowship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trouble

We naturally wish to avoid pain and difficulty, but life experience and a measure of reflection show us that most of what comes our way is beyond our control. When we use trouble as our teacher, we develop the art of living. We are taking a spiritual approach, using our God as our guide. We can choose today to use our difficulties for our learning and growth.

We might ask, "What can I learn from this experience about myself as a man? How can I use this to strengthen myself for the future?" Serenity develops, not by eliminating life's difficulties, but by having a reliable relationship with our Higher Power in the midst of it all. I will try and use whatever comes my way as an opportunity for growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Misery

It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected, and useful once more. How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness? The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you. Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 153

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Repetition of the same thought or physical action develops into a habit which, repeated frequently enough, becomes an automatic reflex." ~ Norman Vincent Peale

bluidkiti 01-14-2021 03:01 AM

January 14

Prayer Encouraging Friends

Dear Lord,
I pray for my friends right now. I pray that you will help them with the struggles they are going through in this season. For you know exactly what they need in this moment. Draw near to them and let them feel your presence. Open their eyes, ears, and hearts to you. Help them have the discernment to hear your voice as you lead them in their next steps. Speak to them as they read your word and bring verses of encouragement and comfort to their attention. I pray that you will calm any fear or anxiety they may be feeling. Replace it with confidence. I pray that your guidance will be clear to them from this day forward. Amen.

~ Carrie Lowrance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

This sober world is a pleasant place for an alcoholic to live in.

Once you've gotten out of your alcoholic fog, you find that the world looks good. You find real friends in A.A. You get a job. You feel good in the morning. You eat a good breakfast and you do a good day's work at home or outside. And your family loves you and welcomes you because you're sober.

So ............

Am I convinced that this sober world is a pleasant place for an alcoholic to live in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

God's Will

Each day, ask God what God wants us to do today; then ask God to help. A simple request, but so profound and far reaching it can take us anywhere we need to go.

Listen: all that we want, all that we need, all the answers, all the help, all the good, all the love, all the healing, all the wisdom, all the fulfillment of desire is embodied in this simple request. We need say no more than Thank You.

This Plan that has been made for us is not one of deprivation. It is one of fullness, joy, and abundance. Walk into it. See for yourself.

I will ask God to show me what God wants me to do for this day, and then ask for help to do that. I will trust that is sufficient to take me into light and joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing

In spite of the great increase in the size and the span of this Fellowship, at its core it remains simple and personal. Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page xxii

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Love consists in sharing what one has and what one is with those one loves. Love ought to show itself in deeds more than in words." ~ Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556)

bluidkiti 01-15-2021 04:15 AM

January 15

Prayer for Good Humor

Grant me, O Lord, good digestion, and also something to digest.
Grant me a healthy body, and the necessary good humor to maintain it.
Grant me a simple soul that knows to treasure all that is good
and that doesn’t frighten easily at the sight of evil,
but rather finds the means to put things back in their place.
Give me a soul that knows not boredom, grumblings, sighs and laments,
nor excess of stress, because of that obstructing thing called “I.”
Grant me, O Lord, a sense of good humor.
Allow me the grace to be able to take a joke to discover in life a bit of joy,
and to be able to share it with others.

~St. Thomas More

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. fellowship.

It is partly group therapy. It is partly a spiritual fellowship. But it is even more. It is based on a common illness, a common failure, and a common problem. It goes deep down into our personal lives and our personal needs. It requires a full opening up to each other of our inmost thoughts and most secret problems. All barriers between us are swept aside. They have to be. Then we try to help each other get well. The A.A. fellowship is based on a sincere desire to help each other get well. The A.A. fellowship is based on a sincere desire to help the other person. In A.A. we can be sure of sympathy, understanding and real help. These things make the A.A. fellowship the best that we know.

So ............

Do I fully appreciate the depth of the A.A. fellowship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Detachment

Learning to detach for many is very demanding and difficult. Detachment means being filled with closeness and love toward someone, yet knowing we cannot fix or protect that person. It means we can be in emotional contact but don't have to react to someone else's issues. We respond from our own center with what is fitting for us. Being detached means we allow others to be in the hands of God because we cannot live their lives for them. Detachment gives us an inner calm, an acceptance of our limits, and the freedom to live our own lives with integrity.

Detachment is a skill in living, and like other skills, we can practice it. Gradually, it becomes a natural response. True detachment takes root and grows within us over a period of time, as we practice it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Setback(Evidence of a Miracle)

Now I see how monumental my self-deception was. During that first thirteen years, my sobriety was not of the high quality it seemed to be. During the two years that followed, I actually convinced myself that it was a privilege to be able to drink. When I returned to A.A., its precepts seemed entirely new to me, particularly the meaning of the First Step, the 'atom bomb of the program.' Instead of taking the Steps and forgetting them, this time I began living them daily, finding new meaning in each one.

Came to Believe Page 96

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"How many of us are killing ourselves with our own greed? In spite of all that we take in, we remain empty. Excessive consumption depresses our spirits even before it destroys our bodies." ~ Cristina