Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - March (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2925)

bluidkiti 02-28-2014 08:50 AM

Daily Reprieve - March

March 1

SAFE AND SECURE

“Much has already been said about receiving strength, inspiration, and direction from Him who has all knowledge and power.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

"Tell me clearly what to do, and show me which way to turn." Psalm 5: 8

For what it's worth: My whole being was filled with fears and doubts that I could not admit, some even to myself. Alcohol made them all go away for a little while, but eventually lost its magic and added to the agony. Relief came only after years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. That Program and a Higher Power rid me of the fears and doubts, and grew a confidence from personal experiences that I was safe and secure. Every time I sought God’s help, He came through, often in creative ways I could never have imagined. Now, any time life threatens me and I am doubtful our down right “chicken”, I go to my Heavenly Father and He will hold me close and remind me that all will be well. No matter what happens, He will show me the next step and even carry me through it, if need be.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-01-2014 09:42 AM

March 2

A GIFT OF LOVE

"I have a conscious daily contact with my Creator today, and He loves me." Alcoholics Anonymous 469, (Fourth Edition)

"...The love of God has been poured out within our hearts..." Romans 5:5

For what it's worth: Alcoholism destroyed my relationships and left me with a deep fear that I was unable to love and to be loved. Had it not been for Alcoholics Anonymous, I would have died in despair with that feeling. Instead, I have been given a most precious gift, a sober life full of love. I am no longer worthless and inadequate. I can love and I am loved, not only by people, but by God, my Heavenly Father. My sober years in Alcoholics Anonymous, living the Twelve Steps, resulted in a spiritual awakening that is a daily closeness with my Heavenly Father. During the day I am filled with gratitude, knowing I love Him and He loves me. Usually, I can actually feel His love. On a spiritually dry day, when I do not feel His love, He always finds a way to let me know He loves me just as much. Even more important for me, when I mess up a day, He lets me know He loves me anyway, maybe even a little more because of my weakness that day.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-03-2014 08:29 AM

March 3

MATCHING CALAMITY WITH SERENITY

"Give in to God, come to terms with him and everything will turn out just fine." Job 22:21 (The Message)

"Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely upon Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

For what it's worth: Alcoholism made calamity a daily event. When I finally realized my drinking was on course for more and more suffering, I felt helpless with no hope. I became suicidal. Afraid of living and dying, I finally approached Alcoholics Anonymous, expecting only more failure. Instead, my despair disappeared almost immediately, and my fear of God began to fade. At AA meetings, I heard hundreds of examples of serenity matching calamity. Was the same possible for me? The answer came as I practiced the Twelve Steps. I came to terms with God, something I had feared for years. Where there had been no faith, I learned to trust Alcoholics Anonymous and God. Finally, I surrendered to God. And, why not? Every time I fought him before, I lost. Today, I can report untold number of instances during my sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous when I humbly turned to my Heavenly Father, and everything did "turn out just fine". When I did not, everything turned out a mess.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-03-2014 08:31 AM

March 4

EXPECT JOY

"We absolutely insist on enjoying life." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 132

"Please, Lord, please give us success." Psalm 118: 25

For what it's worth: Dread and despair were the start of every day of the last years of my drinking. Death would have been welcome, but would not come. I cursed God each new day I had to exist. Yet, He was patient and forgiving, ready to accept me and love me just as I was when I finally came through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. Only the grace of God kept me sober long enough to begin enjoying life. It has been a long journey, up and down mountains, even in and out of caves. Along the way it seemed to me that God granted success in direct proportion to surrender and joy in direct proportion to giving. My days now begin with gratitude and hope. I expect a joyful day because I plan to surrender my will to God's and give back as much as I can during the day. Still being weak at this, of course, I have to ask my Heavenly Father for help.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-04-2014 09:22 AM

March 5

GIVE THANKS

"I want to keep this life of peace, serenity, and tranquility that I have found." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 199 (Fourth Edition)

"Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done." Psalm 105:1

For what it's worth: Proclaiming God’s injustice was my style. And the idea of a serene and tranquil life was ridiculous. Deep in the despair of my alcoholism, there was no hope I would ever be sober, secure, or saved. Yet, it happened. God allowed me to become fearful and miserable enough to swallow my pride and ask for help. And the power of Alcoholics Anonymous offered me a sober and peaceful life. Even more significantly, Alcoholics Anonymous introduced me to a God, my Heavenly Father, who offers me spiritual security for my daily reprieve, and a shot at salvation. When I think about how undeserving I am and how merciful and loving is my Heavenly Father for giving me this gift, gratitude fills my heart and, at times, tears fill my eyes.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-05-2014 10:15 AM

March 6

FAULT-FINDING

“Argument and fault-finding are to be avoided like the plague.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 98

“Who can say, ‘I have cleansed my heart; I am pure and free from fault’?” Proverbs 20:9

For what it's worth: Where does a sick and insane drunk like me get off finding fault with anyone? Yet, I was quick and good at it. To deal with this defect of character I needed lengthy sobriety, intense work with the Twelve Steps, and God's grace. There has been no perfection, but much progress, thanks largely to God opening my heart to feel the pain fault-finding inflicts on me and others. Now, when I am critical I am reminded I have a long way to go and I have something I can do to get there, practice the principles in the Prayer of St. Francis with everyone God places in my life today.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-06-2014 11:39 AM

March 7

"Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am." Philippians 4:13 (The Message)

"We all need the light of God's reality, the nourishment of His strength, and the atmosphere of His grace." Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 98

For what it's worth: Alcoholism forced me to believe God's strength and grace had been denied me. Only after years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous was my mind opened to "God's reality", and I saw how His love had rescued me all during my drinking days despite my arrogance and resistance. Today, I know what I am, namely, a worthless drunk. Anything beyond this is God's work. Witnessing what he has built with this mess, I trust His love. No matter what happens today, He and I will continue this sober journey together in "the atmosphere of His grace".

God bless you.
Joe W.

MajestyJo 03-06-2014 10:17 PM

These are good my friend, I generally run out of time when it comes to the other readings.

I found myself sharing with a taxi driver the other day. Not sure how we got there, but felt that it was meant to be. I told him that I had sponsored two gay guys, I said being gay had nothing to do with their alcoholism. I ended up co-sponsoring until they found someone who they could talk their gay issues with. They had to get clean and sober, to find who they were and do Steps 4-9, with someone who had an understanding.

I sponsored another young guy who lived in Quebec. He said, "I don't care if people look at me funny because I have Jo as my sponsor, I want what she has." So many people can be judgmental. At my advise, he found a male sponsor when he was 3 months sober.

This is a loving, forgiving, and caring program. Don't care if a guy wears a white, blue or pink shirt, his shirt doesn't keep him clean and sober and didn't make him use. Even though I don't like pink shirts on any man, that doesn't stop me from reaching out to another sick and suffering alcoholic/addict.

They had the same disease that I had. All I could do was share my experience, strength and hope. All we have is that daily reprieve, no matter what our colour, creed, beliefs, etc. are. It is all one day at a time, no matter what age or where there journey has taken them.

bluidkiti 03-07-2014 09:14 AM

March 8

HOPE’S HEROES

“If our testimony helps sweep away prejudice, enables you to think honestly, encourages you to search diligently within yourself, then, if you wish, you can join us on the Broad Highway.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 55:4

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25

For what it’s worth: There were no heroes, no inspiration, no encouragement in my alcoholic life. Blessedly, there was drastic change once I found Alcoholics Anonymous. Never have I met so many once rejects, now cornerstones. Meaningless drunks are now God’s instruments of hope and peace. I am always impressed and inspired by such a group of people as are my heroes in Alcoholics Anonymous. More than this, I trust them with my life.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-08-2014 10:08 AM

March 9

HIS LOVING CARE

"We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 59

"O Lord, I have come to you for protection. Bend down and listen to me; rescue me quickly." Psalm 31: 1&2

For what it’s worth: Praying became foreign to me during my alcoholic drinking. I was not about to ask God for anything. I was afraid of Him. I had betrayed Him too often. I did not realize, however, how agonizing alcoholism would become. Finally, there was no one else to go to for relief. God did not require I beg and plead with Him, I merely acknowledged my need for Him, and He rescued me from the disease and despair of alcoholism. Since then, God has repeatedly proven His loving care. Therefore, when hard times arrive, I need not waste time figuring out how I am going to deal with reality, or in any way doubt God; I just take it to my Heavenly Father and He lets me know what I am to do; and, He does the rest. He even gives me strength to do my part.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-09-2014 10:49 AM

March 10

WITH THE LORD ABOARD

"They saw Jesus walking on the water, and coming towards the boat, and they were terrified... But He spoke to them, 'Don't be afraid: it is I myself." So they gladly took him aboard, and at once the boat reached the shore they were making for. John 6:20-21

"I'm afraid to go out the door." Alcoholics Anonymous, page157

For what it's worth: Many forms of fear ruled every day of my drinking. I would not acknowledge them until sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. Even then I was afraid of opening the door to the Fourth Step. After a number of attempts my sponsor told me to back off to the Third Step. Once I finally trusted my Higher Power was aboard with me, we were ready to work the Fourth Step, and, immediately thereafter, the Fifth Step. From then on, with the Lord in command, we are headed for the sober shore of peace and happiness. When storms erupt, we are swamped by heavy waves and forced off course - if I try to take charge.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-10-2014 09:33 AM

March 11

SOOTHING THE SOUL

"Clear away the wreckage of your past." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

"If the shepherd finds the lost sheep, he will surely rejoice over it more than over the ninety-nine that didn't wander away!" Matthew 18: 13

For what it’s worth: Some stubborn stains remain on my soul even though I have done my best to clear away the garbage. When I am in the darkness of clinical depression, or struggling through a dry spiritual desert, ghosts of my past can come out to haunt me. It is at those times healing thoughts such as the parable of the prodigal son and the shepherd finding the lost sheep soothe my soul. I am deeply grateful to have the words and stories of the Big Book and the Bible at my fingertips and in my heart.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-11-2014 09:22 AM

March 12

GRATITUDE AND TRUST

“But there is One who has all power--that One is God. May you find Him now!” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 59

“If God is for us, who can ever be against us?” Romans 8:31

For what it’s worth: My pathetic alcoholic life proved God was against me. With that fear, alcohol had to crush me into scrap before I would look up to God. Even early in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was uncomfortable with statements like “May you find Him now”. I did not want to find God. I was afraid He would curse me as I had Him. Despite my cowardice, experience after experience in Alcoholics Anonymous screamed at me God was not condemning me, He was rescuing me from the hell of alcoholism; He was helping me stay sober; He was putting people in my life who understood me; He was granting me a place where I felt I belonged. I was no longer alone. Hope grew, peace prevailed, and joy entered my life. I no longer felt unloved. I had found a Higher Power with all power, and I was coming to understand that this new God of mine would always be for me, never against me. He certainly has proven it…repeatedly. I will be gratefuL and trust my Heavenly Father today.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-12-2014 09:47 AM

March 13

DEPEND ON IT

"We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

"When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on Him, He will lift you up and give you honor." James 4: 10

For what it’s worth: My goal was total independence. I had grown to mistrust everyone and everything, so why would I wish to be dependent upon anyone or anything? Obviously, it did not work. I became dependent upon alcohol, and the addiction killed all my goals, reducing me to a worthless slave with no purpose or direction beyond the next drink. Alcoholism robbed my soul of all spiritual values and left it empty. It took the torment of an abandoned spiritual being to drive me to seek help in Alcoholics Anonymous. After years of living by the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have experienced dependency upon a Higher Power, and it is divine. Here is a once worthless, empty soul, now filled with gratitude and joy, living with the goal of becoming more dependent each day on the loving care of God. I trust my Heavenly Father’s love. I can depend on it!

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 03-14-2014 10:27 AM

March 14

DAILY BREAD

"Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all,
we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t
take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and
clothing, let us be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (New Living Translation)

"But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

For what it's worth: Protecting my supply of alcohol was vital, so running low always produced dread. When I stopped drinking in Alcoholics Anonymous, I found other things to worry about. This was a form of "stinkin' thinkin'" for me, dangerous to my sobriety and "usefulness to others". To be rid of anxiety would, indeed, be "great wealth". But how? Alcoholics Anonymous members taught me the answer was in the Lord's prayer: "Give us this day our daily bread." They emphasized "daily bread", admonishing me not to ask for the whole bakery. Daily praying the Lord's prayer, focusing on what I am saying, has gradually built trust and peace. Interestingly, as this happens, I have noticed God is better able to use me to help others.

God bless you.
Joe W.