Thread: Accepting Life
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Acceptance of our past, acceptance of the conditions presently in our lives that we cannot change, brings relief. It brings the peacefulness we so often, so frantically, seek.

We can put the past behind us.

Each day a new beginning (see next post)

A good read! The end of a year, the beginning of a new one. A good opportunity to leave to past in 2013 and make a new beginning in 2014.

Once I find acceptance, I can move on. What was was! What is in today is! What is in tomorrow, is unknown! It doesn't have to be the same as the past, when we live in today and make healthy choices. I can change the old tapes and patterns, make new ones to take into the future, with the help of my Higher Power. When I make Him/Her a part of the equation, things will not turn out the same unless I wish to repeat past mistakes and bring the past into my today.

For many years, I didn't know the wisdom to know the difference. I still hung onto the controlling ways of my past and still wanted to fix things or do things, finding it hard to wait for God or to allow others to do for me or give them a chance to grow and do for themselves.

I know when everyone told me to quit smoking, I dug in my heels and continued to smoke. I told them, "If you are going to pray for me, do it quietly so I don't hear. If I hear you, I just get more determined to continue doing." I get the old attitude, "Don't tell me I can't or shouldn't, watch me!"

Criticism and being told what I should do really got my dander up. In today, I embrace change. I don't mind criticism if it is done with a kind heart and said in a non-intrusive way.

Again, I could accept the fact that I needed to quit smoking but unless I followed it up with action, and changing my attitude, I couldn't quit.

Acceptance is part of the process of change: awareness, admittance, acceptance, attitude, action. It is a big part of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Until I find that acceptance, I can't let go.

Grieving is just not about death, it is about loss, change due to circumstance in our life and they are all the same process.

Each day is a new beginning. So have a good one! I am the one who controls the 'play' button. I can also rewind and play the tape over and over, or I can erase it and make a new tape.
Very much needing acceptance in today and every day. It is the key to recovery for me. Accepting what is knowing it is subject to change. What was is no more. Leaving the past in the past, and accepting today as it comes, one day at a time.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote