View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #51
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 19

Quote of the Week

"Alcoholism . . . cunning, baffling, powerful."

The other night, my wife and I decided to take in some holiday cheer by having dinner at a very exclusive hotel bar. Dimly lit, with Christmas piano music drifting in from the lounge, it was cozy. After dinner, my wife wanted dessert, and we decided to try something new: smoked maple sabayon. Sounded so innocent, so delicious. We ordered it immediately. It arrived in two bowls, one of which looked like vanilla pudding. I took a tablespoon and dived in. As it hit my palette, my first thought was: alcohol. What happened next is when today’s quote took over . . .

Without hesitation, I went for another, bigger scoop. I vaguely remember thinking that it tasted strong, but that it was also the holidays, and only a dessert, and that I should try it again just to be sure. As my spoon was about to plunge into the pudding, my wife said, “There is a lot of alcohol in that.” I slowed the descent of my spoon. She continued, “I think I just got a buzz from that first bite.” My spoon stopped a quarter inch above the dessert. She looked at me and said, “I don’t think you should have any more.” I put my spoon down, flagged the waiter, and he said, “Oh yes, there is uncooked rum in that.”

On the drive home, I tried to explain to my wife that my alcoholism has a mind of its own. Even with twenty-plus years of sobriety, it is cunning, baffling, and powerful. I thought nothing of taking another bite, just to confirm there was a lot of alcohol in there and didn’t even consider the consequences. I told her that she saved me from making a serious mistake, and that she needed to continue to be vigilant for me, especially on those rare occasions when I’m not. What I learned is that I can’t forget the word that comes before today’s quote: remember.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote