View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 13

Quote of the Week

"Be as enthusiastic about your recovery as you were about your addiction."

When my sponsor asked me if I was willing to go to any lengths to get sobriety, I balked. I had been going to meetings for almost 60 days, and I had an idea what he meant. He was suggesting that I go to “ninety in ninety” meetings, get a home group, take commitments, write inventories, be willing to go on Twelve Step calls when it wasn’t convenient, and so on. Sounded like a lot of work to me. I wasn’t sure I could make that much of an open-ended commitment.

As I continued to resist the idea of going all in, he asked me about my drinking and drug use. He asked if I had been willing to do whatever—whenever it was necessary—to party, drink, and score drugs. “Oh, yeah!” came my enthusiastic reply. I then recounted many instances when I drove miles and miles, at all hours of the day or night, to get loaded. It didn’t matter if it was raining or hot, if I had to ride a bicycle, take a bus, or walk. I was totally committed to my addiction. After we finished talking, I got what he was driving at.

Once I dived into my recovery with the same level of commitment I devoted to drinking and using, things quickly turned around for me. I did get that home group and commitments, and very soon I learned to look forward to them. I made many fearless and thorough inventories, and I owned up to my side of the street. I soon experienced the freedom and hope that came from doing that. By becoming as enthusiastic about my recovery as I had been about my addiction, I became enthusiastic about my life again. And today, I still am.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote