View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 20

Quote of the Week

"You can’t fix your thinking with your thinking."

When I was new to recovery and the fog lifted a bit, I began to make plans for my life again. Now that I wasn’t drunk all the time, I suddenly thought of all the money I could make and how happy I would be in that new home I would someday buy on the beach. I began thinking about finding and marrying “her,” and thought that within a year I would have that perfect relationship. I was also convinced that I would have a bestseller published and would probably even be flying around the world as a circuit speaker in the program.

As I began sharing these thoughts with my sponsor, he suggested I concentrate on turning my will and my life over to God instead. When I tried arguing with him about how my vision for my future was probably better, he reminded me that my own best thinking got me to a seat in Alcoholics Anonymous. When I pointed out that I was sober now and that my thinking was clearer, he asked me what Step I was on. “Two,” I replied. “You might want to wait until you work all the Steps before you think about becoming a circuit speaker,” was his suggestion.

He also suggested that I not make any major changes in the first year, and I am so glad I took that advice. What I’ve found is that the more time in recovery I have, the more I don’t want what I thought I did. I now know that money, property, and prestige will never fill the hole I feel, and the answer I’m looking for won’t come from my own thinking. Today, I know that my really good ideas are rarely that, and that my best thinking is almost always centered on me. This will never bring me the results I truly want. Now I know that only God can fix my thinking and my life, and today, I let Him.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote