View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 27

Quote of the Week

"If you don’t change, your sobriety date will."

When I was new, it was suggested that I begin making some changes. First, it was recommended that I go to ninety meetings in ninety days. Next, it was suggested I get a sponsor, read the first 164 pages of the Big Book, and start working the Steps. My sponsor also suggested I stop hanging around my drinking buddies—and not start dating for at least a year. A lot of my life was changing except the most important part: me.

For the first several months, I felt like I was auditing the program more than I felt like I was totally committed. The old me couldn’t wrap my head around the concept of never drinking again. When you told me I needed to be willing to go to any lengths to get what you had, I wasn’t sure what it was that you did have and wasn’t sure I wanted it. It’s no wonder that at ninety days, facing the Fourth Step, I chose to drink again.

Luckily I took your suggestion and kept coming back to meetings. I didn’t do it perfectly—I drank between meetings sometimes—but I did keep trying. Finally, someone I respected confronted me after my regular Saturday night meeting. I had raised my hand as a newcomer yet again, and afterward he got in my face. While everyone else had been understanding and encouraging, he had had enough. “Quite f@#king around!” he snapped at me. “This isn’t a game. You need to stay sober and work the program.” Well, that was the wake-up call I needed. I committed to the program and all the changes that were asked of me. And I haven’t had to change my sobriety date since.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote