View Single Post
Old 06-10-2023, 04:59 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 10

Rebuilding Trust

In my first years in the Navy, I'd only call my parents to tell about my accomplishments. They didn't know about my drinking problem. But when I got sent to restriction, they couldn't get hold of me to let me know my grandfather was hospitalized. I finally had to tell them.

They both got tired of all the ups and downs after that, so it took a long time for them to trust me again. But after my third duty station and two more alcohol-related incidents, I finally got sober and made amends. They've seen the results. They see how, with God's grace, I’ve grown.

Today is amazing. Now we celebrate my sobriety together. Now we can talk about everything.

Today I am grateful that, in recovery, broken relationships can be healed. Destroyed trust can be rebuilt. Miracles can happen.

~Elora K., U.S. Navy, 1997–2007

Today's reading is from the book Leave No One Behind: Daily meditations for Military Service Members and Veterans in Recovery*
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote