View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, September 2, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Stop Overeating, Start Living

Physical abstinence is just the beginning of the new life OA offers to us. When our Higher Power controls our life, we become free of the mental obsession with food. Then we are able to get down to the business of living, which we avoided with our illness.

Rather than reaching out with both hands to grab and hold on to all we can get, we begin to think in terms of giving and serving. We may start by sharing what OA has done for us with newcomers to the program. It is the newcomer who is our reminder of who we were and where we came from.

We find that though we can never eat spontaneously, we can live much more spontaneously than before. Because we feel less guilt and fear, we can experience the joy of acting from the center of our being. Knowing that our Higher Power is in control, we have trust and faith that the results of our actions will be okay. Each day becomes less of a trial and more of an opportunity.

Today, may I experience the spontaneity that comes with Your control.
Like the title. My mom died at the age of 40 due to her over eating. She used food to deal with her feelings and was told to lose weight. The doctor said, "If you end up in the hospital again, I can't guarantee you will leave, and she didn't." As they say, "You can't scare an addict." For me to gain weight was to die. I had a big struggle to lose my pregnancy weight when my husband went off to another woman, it didn't help that she was fatter than my normal weight. I later got to 192 lbs, and knew that if I kept gaining, I would die and came to a decision. I lost 30 lbs. and it has been up and down from there, but that has been livable. My sponsor had an eating disorder and for her, to lose weight was to die. Like they say, it is the thinking behind the substance.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote