Thread: Step 11
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anything unconscious dissolves when you shine the light of consciousness on it.

— Eckhart Tolle
Sounds like working Step Eleven to me. I can't heal in the darkness of isolation, walls, and a closed mind.

Quote:
Perhaps the most popular relaxation modality is music therapy.

Whether New Age, rock, jazz, or classical, many people find that music distracts them from the painful moment, helping to reduce mental stress. In fact, in some hospitals, staff members give patients tapes of soothing music and reassuring voice-overs to use during surgical procedures.

In clinical studies, both doctors and patients agreed that listening to music produced greater decreases in peaks of tension, and produced greater compliance with relaxation practice. While the studies are limited, it's thought that music therapy can help to improve mood and pain tolerance. This therapy is thought to enhance the parasympathetic response through the effects of sound, encouraging relaxation at a deep level.

(Source: The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program, by Howard S. Smith, M.D., and Debra Fulghum Bruce, M.S. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.) This tip provided courtesy of ImmuneSupport.com
STEP ELEVEN: Sought through prayer and meditation
to improve our conscious contact with God as we
understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His
will for us and the power to carry that out.

"Meditation is something which can always be further
developed. It has no boundaries, either of width or
height. Aided by such instruction and example as we
can find, it is essentially an individual adventure,
something which each one of us works out in his own
way. But its object is always the same: to improve
our conscious contact with God, with His grace,
wisdom, and love. And let's always remember that
meditation is in reality intensely practical."

c. 1952, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 101

"Just For Today!" Web Site: http://www.aahistory.com/jft.html

This was posted on my site Soundness of Mind in 2005. This was an e-mail I received regularly and the service was discontinued in 2008

Meditation has always been such a big part of my recovery. It is always good to have other people's words to think on.

A friend told me many years ago, to sit at a table, after doing prayer and meditation, with a paper in front of me, and as a thought crossed my mind, I was to write it down. By doing so, I could see the direction my mind was going, also to look at what is taking up space in my head that I needed to let go of, turn over to my HP, with new awareness as to my defects of character, the part of me that needed healing and those that needed cleansing.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote