Super Moderator

Quote:
Monday, November 3, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Here's Sulky Sue
What shall we do?
Turn her face to the wall . . . .
—Mother Goose

When she put her Sulky Sue up against the wall, was this mother a wise or silly goose? If Sue was confused, could she talk sense with a wall? If she was angry, would the wall ever know why? If she was sad, would the wall wipe her tears away? If she was lonely, would the wall take her by the hand? Some walls are built for support, others to keep people away. To sulk is to look for support, someone strong to hold us up, not a silly goose who will turn us away.

Sulking is not the best way to look for help, and when we sulk, we are likely to end up isolating ourselves in some corner of our own making. And on the other hand, when we see another sulking, how much better it is to offer support instead of isolation!

Do I build walls of isolation, or walls of support?
Love the picture that sulking brings to mind. There was a lady in NA who use to say, "I don't do 'hissy fits' any more. So often we are a prisoner of our own mind, either by our own thoughts of 'being so hard done by' or 'people are out to get us' or 'they just don't understand' or 'if they knew what I had gone through' and the list goes on and on, not recognizing, that we isolate ourselves instead of supporting others because for the most part, been there, done it wore the t-shirt, in one form or another. We experienced our own trauma. We are not the only ones who suffered trauma. We all have to heal and deal with our own trauma, each in our own way and allow ourselves to heal. When we isolate, we block that healing power from coming in and changing us. It prevents us from letting go of the past, allowing the scars to heal, and making a new life for ourselves.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote