View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Letting Go of Resentments

Quote:

LETTING GO OF RESENTMENT

Releasing the Past How can we really put an end to festering resentments towards other people? "Pray for these people," the Old-Timers said. "Go out of your way to do something good for them." This is a big order for most of us, but we are working for a big reward: sobriety, peace of mind and personal progress.

When we pray for others in this manner, we're practicing the noble art of forgiveness. How do we know when it's starting to work? Lewis B. Smedes, a master teacher of forgiveness, offers this thought: "You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well."

Forgiveness also is suppose to include forgetting the wrong. What we really forget is the hurt connected with it. When anything that once evoked pain come to mind, we're growing spiritually if it no longer has the power to hurt us.

We then discover that we had been letting our resentments hurt us again and again. We also learn that one effort to forgive is not nearly enough. Forgiveness takes the same amount of forgiveness & emotional power we put into carrying the resentment!

Today will bring enough problems. I don't have either the time or the energy to play the old tapes that cause me pain. I'll practice praying for those who hurt me and I'll take it for granted that my Higher Power is removing my resentments.

http://open-mind.org/Daily/
Resentments have caused more alcoholic and addict to relapse, closely followed by guilt, shame and blame.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links