View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #44
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 30

Quote of the Week

“I could drink or I could do everything else.”

By the end of my drinking, my world had gotten very small. I lost my job, again, but this time I didn’t get a new one. Most of my friends and family didn’t want to hang out with me much because I was usually drunk, or on my way there. I had long ago abandoned my hobbies like photography and reading – they tended to get in the way of my drinking. In the end, I was alone on my couch with my booze.

I’ll never forget my first meeting on a Tuesday night in Westwood, CA. It was a large, hip, speaker meeting at a church. There were probably a couple of hundred people there, and it was like I had arrived at a concert. People were talking, laughing, racing in and out of the room at the break. Wow! For a brief instant I felt part of the human race again. Later, I learned that the path back to life was through the Twelve Steps, and I committed to taking them.

As I got sober, my life did open up. There were lots of meetings, sober parties, fellowship and more. I got a job again, learned how to be of service, and started sponsoring others. In sobriety I’ve traveled the world, gotten married, started businesses and written books. And each morning I greet the new day with joy and optimism. These days whenever I think of a drink, I think of everything else I would have to give up.

Nothing, especially a drink, is worth all I’ve been blessed with in recovery.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote