View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 3

Wisdom for Today
I have been at meetings and watched as newcomers enter the room and sit down. The looks on their faces are always the same – quiet desperation. They sit down, often times still smelling from their last binge. Relatively soon one or two good-hearted souls will walk over and welcome this new prospect, offer a cup of coffee and chat with them. What surprises me is the reaction I sometimes see by the other people in the room. There is this avoidance that occurs, little or no eye contact and not even a word to the newcomer. Even after the meeting I see these same people leave without saying a word to this new person.
In the Bible there is a story about the "Good Samaritan." A man lies wounded and robbed on the side of the road. A Levite walks by him quickly and does nothing to help the man. A priest soon follows and does the same thing, leaving the man bleeding and battered. Then a Samaritan walks by, bandages the man’s wounds and uses his own money to put him in an inn where he will be cared for and nursed back to health. Too often I believe we forget that we are no different than the wounded and beaten man. My disease completely tore my whole life apart. Too often I think we avoid looking at and reaching out to help the newcomer. Yes, sometimes it is scary for me to look directly into the eyes of addiction, in part because it reminds me of who I am. Yet, am I not responsible to offer help to others, just like I was given help when I walked through the door? Am I willing to be a "Good Samaritan?"
Meditations for the Heart
Reaching out to others is not always easy. I know for myself, I often find that I feel inadequate. Sometimes I let judgment or fear get in the way. However, I have found that in reaching out to others, particularly to newcomers, I am really helping myself. I have also found that I really don't need to worry about being adequate; my Higher Power has a way of taking care of that if I let Him. It is truly wonderful when I see these new prospects returning to meetings day after day, but the real miracle is what happens to me when I act in unselfish ways. For years I felt that I had no real value and was just a worthless person. In reaching out and offering a helping hand, I find that something wonderful happens inside of me. I find that I feel like I have value and that I can be unselfish and giving. This is what makes it all work. Do I help myself by helping others?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
As I walk on this path called recovery, I find that I run into others just like myself who need to be bandaged and helped back to life. I know I cannot provide healing, but I do know from experience in my life that You can bring healing to the lives of those in need. Let me not walk away from those who need a helping hand. Give me courage to reach out and carry the message to others when the opportunity arises. Thank You for helping me to feel valuable again.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: