View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 5

Wisdom for Today
"Just for today!" Three small words with a lot of meaning! Today was a very hard place to live in my addiction. Most of the time I lived in the past and was filled with regret and remorse, or I lived in the future and experienced life with a sense of morbid fear. What was going to be the next bad thing to happen in my life? Could it get any worse? Learning to live in today is a skill that I had to learn. I understood the words but had little understanding of how to put them into action. In early recovery it seemed I spent a lot of time dreaming about the past. It seemed that I couldn't stop thinking about getting wasted. If I wasn't thinking about the past, I worried about the future. Would recovery be worth it? Would I ever be happy again? I just didn't know.
It seemed like I didn't have the slightest clue of how to live in today. I worried about staying clean and sober for the rest of my life. I thought about all the bad things I had done. I just couldn't seem to get in today. Then one night at a meeting it all seemed to click. I was making myself miserable. Nobody else was doing this to me. I was doing it to myself. If I put even half the energy into staying in today as I did the future or the past, maybe, just maybe I could be happier. I am not sure what happened at that meeting or even what was said to get me thinking this way but it worked. I started focusing on just staying in today. Life didn't seem so complicated. Life got better - just for today! Do I live in today?
Meditations for Today
I now like getting up in the morning. This was not always the case. I used to worry about what I did the night before, but today things are different. I can wake up and start my day in a good way. I can start my day with my best friend. This is how I came to know my Higher Power. My Higher Power became my best friend, and I can start my day each day with Him. Some days I do better with this than others, but I know He is there for me each and every morning. Spending time with my best friend is a great way to start my day. It keeps me centered. It keeps me focused. It keeps me happy. It gives me someone to bring my problems to. I find answers to the questions I have. I find new questions to ask. I gain strength, hope, and occasionally I even get some wisdom. Yes, getting up in the morning is not hard to do at all anymore. Do I start my days differently now?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Each day You give me new breath. What I do with that breath is up to me. Help me to do what You want me to do today. Let me stay consciously aware of this day and Your plans for me in it. Thanks for being my friend and for all that You do for me!
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: