View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 13

Wisdom for Today
In recovery I have had to learn to change my thinking. I needed to rehab my mind and begin to use wisdom as a guide. I had to learn to think, think, think. I could no longer think of drinking or drugging in the same way. I had to look beyond the short-term gain and focus on the long-term pain. I cannot afford the short view. It tells me that somehow this time will be different. It tells me that drinking or drugging will somehow cure my problems and that it will help me cope. It tells me that no one will know; but, of course, I will know. This short-term view will only lead to more pain.

The long-term view forces me to look past the bottle. It forces me to see beyond the night of partying to the morning after. It forces me to see that no matter how good alcohol or drugs look right now, the picture will look very different the next day. Recovery forces me to take a long-term view of alcohol and drugs. It has taught me to reeducate my mind and seek after God’s will for me. Even on the days that recovery requires me to do things I don’t want to do, I have learned that I need to listen to that still, small voice of my Higher Power and remain obedient to His plans for me. Have I learned to change my thinking and see the long-term pain that addiction always brings?
Meditations for the Heart
If I am honestly working to live the way that my Higher Power wants me to live, I can seek and find His guidance through quiet meditation. When I focus my mind on His will for me, I am given answers to decisions I must make. I am given direction for my path in life. I am given encouragement and strength for my day. The words of the Lord’s Prayer, “Thy will be done,” take on a whole new meaning. Recovery is not about my will, but it is about listening to and obeying His will for me. If I act on the clear guidance I receive when I meditate on His will for me, I am much more likely to look back at the end of my day and have no regret. The problems I have today are because I again adopt to live a life of self-will. However, the serenity and peace of mind I have are directly proportionate to my willingness to use God’s wisdom as my guiding principle. Am I seeking His guidance through quiet meditation? Am I willing to obey the guidance I receive?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Today let me seek after Your wisdom through quiet meditation. Give me courage to act on and obey the wisdom I receive from You. Help me to change my thinking and adopt a long-term view of addiction. Let me see the insanity of a short-term view.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: