View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 14

Wisdom for Today
Fellowship without the steps is empty. Fellowship in and of itself is wonderful at first. It is what attracts many of us to the program. We find a place where we feel like we fit in. We don't feel so alone. But the wonder of the fellowship soon dims, and we find that we can become disillusioned by it all. We may find that we get caught up in the gossip and talk about others rather than talk about ourselves. We may find that we get bored and lose interest in even going to meetings anymore. We may even find that we lose sight of our goal to remain clean and sober. Some may even begin to see the fellowship as a place to take advantage of others. We find that fellowship with others is not the answer we thought it was.
Many of these things rang too true for me as I got further into my sobriety. A more accurate statement would be that without the steps I was dry and miserable. Something was definitely missing. Many things were being suggested to me, but I was not following through and doing them. I was not calling my sponsor as often. I wasn't reading the books that were suggested. And I wasn't really working the steps. When I look back now, I see just how close to relapse I was. I had to go back and retrace my steps and start at the beginning again. This time I had to really work the steps. When I did, things started to happen. I got refocused on what was important. I began to pray again. I talked honestly about what was really going on. I used the tools, and I again found a healthy sense of true fellowship in the program. I stopped trying to run the show, and I was able to pray with honesty again – "Thy will be done." Do I recognize when I am working the program with only half measures?
Meditations for the Heart
I don’t recall what movie it was that I saw; but I remember a line that the lead character said, "There is wonder in knowing you are being watched over." With God in charge I am not only watched over, but I am also led. When I stop to really think about this wonder, I begin to only scratch the surface of God's bounty and goodness. God has a plan for me, and it is my job to follow where He will lead. His way is filled with wonder, and His way is filled with ceaseless knowledge. The more I focus my inner being on this fact, the more I will grow in my recovery. As I improve my conscious contact with my Higher Power, the more I can realize His vision for me. I do not know where His plan will take me, but I do know and trust that His way will bring me peace. Nothing I have is more valuable than this relationship. No material possession can even come close to the value found in His care for me. Do I know and trust that I am being watched over?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
I call You Father because I know that You do truly watch over me. You guide my steps, and You lead me on the right path. I also call You Father because I know I am Your child. I guess that is how I act sometimes. I am grateful that You are always there and reach out to me when I act childish or wander off and get lost. I know that Your arms are always open for me. Let me follow where You will lead me today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: