View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 15

Wisdom for Today
There was a time that I thought that alcohol and drugs were my friends. When I was down and out, they would lift me up. There were rewards attached to their use. They did what I wanted and were reliable. I could trust that they would be there for me if I needed them, but that all changed. I really can’t pinpoint when the change occurred, but somewhere along the way alcohol and drugs became my enemy. It really doesn’t matter when this change happened; what is important is that I recognize that what had been friendly was now clearly my enemy.

Alcohol and drugs no longer provided me with the lift I was looking for. I began using in an attempt just to feel normal, but that didn’t even work anymore. Rather than rewards, I began to experience one consequence after another. I could no longer predict what would happen once I started drinking or using drugs. They were no longer reliable. I could no longer trust alcohol or drugs. Worse yet, I could no longer trust myself. Now I find it helpful to go to a First Step meeting just to remind me who I am. It takes me back to look at the enemy within. Is staying clean and sober still my main focus?
Meditations for the Heart
I tried changing circumstances, and I tried changing my surroundings. I tried limiting myself, and I tried to control my use. I tried dozens and dozens of ways to make alcohol and drugs friendly again. It was hard to admit that my friend had turned on me like it did. It was harder yet to admit that I had changed and that alcohol and drugs had defeated me. However, in defeat I also found victory. I had to get to a place of absolute defeat to recognize the possibility of a new way of living. Through the steps I learned a new way of living. I underwent tremendous change. God was doing for me what I could not do for myself. Today I look to my Higher Power for direction in my life. I cannot afford not to follow this direction and need to take advantage of every opportunity for growth that God provides. Do I trust that God is working in my life for good?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

I know that I am a work in progress and that You are not done with me. I will trust You to lead me this day. Show me what Your will for me is this day, and give me the wisdom and courage I need to accomplish the tasks that You set before me. Let me not put off till tomorrow what You wish me to do today. Guide my steps in this journey today.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: