View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:

There are two sides of man’s being alone. In our language, “loneliness” expresses the pain of being alone. “Solitude” expresses the glory of being alone.

What happens to us in AA that makes it possible for us, not only to endure, but to enjoy moments of solitude? What changes our loneliness to solitude?

The love and understanding we find in AA are a protective curtain between ourselves and the aching aloneness of our drinking days. The first few weeks, some of us spend most
of our time in an AA club talking with others. Then it becomes evident that we must go to work and somehow meet the demands and responsibilities of our daily lives. We are
afraid. Will the old loneliness hit us again when we are out of the actual presence of other AA members?

Sooner or later, by practicing the principles of the Twelve Steps, we find in ourselves a very precious thing, something inside that we can be comfortable with regardless of whether
we are at home by ourselves or anywhere else that life takes us.

AA members are not emotional cripples who need someone to hold their hands every moment of the day and night to prevent their falling. We grow up with the help of God, as we
understand Him, and the fellowship of the group, and by applying the Twelve Steps to our lives.

Came to Believe…, page 109

If you can't be with family, reach out to others who are alone. One of the best Christmas days I had was leaving family to go to my home group, and we had five people at our meeting, two who were newcomers.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote