View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 13 - One thing is Needed

by Gail Rodgers
A story is told in the Bible about two sisters, Mary and Martha. They and their brother were friends of Jesus. One occasion of His visit is recorded:

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” ” Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her”.Luke 10:38-42
Poor Martha. Most of us identify with this busy lady, distracted by the responsibilities of life. Often we feel we have been left to do all the work ourselves. Can’t you just see Martha fussing in the kitchen, getting more frustrated by the moment as Mary sits at Jesus feet? Finally she speaks out… only to have Jesus lovingly tell her that only one thing is needed.
One thing! Out of all the many things we do, out of all the many distractions, out of all the many important things we do, only one is needed. And what is that one thing? Doing as Mary did and sitting with Jesus, being in His presence.
We do so much for the Lord… many things… busy things. Yet He does not call us to work for Him…He calls us to be with Him. He calls us not to the good…but to the better choice. Out of that one thing, being in His presence, will flow the purposes of our lives as God directs us. Our souls will be fed. Clarity will come. We will know what to say “No” to.
Think what it would look like in your life if you were to become a “one thing” woman. First and foremost in your life would be time with Jesus. Once you have sat there you long to sit longer.
If your life is distracted by many good things and you want to choose the better today… begin by carving out a bit of time to sit in His presence. I find music helps clear away the dust of everyday living. When I find I have become distracted and choose to move back to that “one thing” that I know is needful, I find some quiet moments at the beginning or the end of the day and put on some music that praises our great God. I sit and listen and let the words of the songs become my prayers. And the focus returns as the Holy Spirit refreshes my heart. It is in the “one thing” that all the other things find balance and perspective.
Do what you need to do today to move to being a “one thing” woman. It’s the only place to live!
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote