View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, September 3, 2013

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Friends and Enemies

Sometimes our friends or members of our family urge us to eat food that is not part of our plan. If we allow ourselves to be manipulated into eating something to please someone else, we are in danger of losing the most important thing in our life - abstinence. Anyone who tries to make us feel uncomfortable because of our illness is acting as an enemy, rather than a friend.

To some people close to us, an explanation of our food plan may be helpful. Repeated discussions, however, are usually unnecessary and unproductive. We alone are responsible for what we put into our mouths. If those around us cannot or will not understand, then that is their problem, not ours.

When confronted with food, which we know is harmful to us, the simplest response is a firm "No, thank you." When we ourselves are determined to maintain abstinence, no one else, whether friend or enemy, can prevent us from following our plan.
Protect me, Lord, from my friends and enemies.
Know it was easier to blame others for my actions, instead of being responsible for myself. I had a big resentment against my mother when I came into recovery and I remembered her saying to me, Look at what you made me do. I didn`t know that I didn`t have the power to make her do anything. She died from her eating disorder 28 days before her 41st birthday.

In early recovery, many people didn`t believe I had a problem, and some thought I was cured after all this time. Another person thought that if I chose to use, they could stop me. As it says in Al-Anon, `Let it begin with me.`

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote