View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 4

Wisdom for Today
Learning to have compassion is important for an alcoholic or an addict who wants to carry the message to others. I needed a compassionate response from others when I first walked through the doors of the program. What is compassion? Well, it means that a person is both sympathetic and patient. It was easy for me to be sympathetic to others new to the program. Their story was just like mine. Yes, the events that had happened in their lives were different than the events in mine, but the struggle with addiction was the same. It was the patience that I really struggled with.
Yet I knew that finding this patience with the newcomer was exactly what they needed, just as I had needed it when I walked through the door. I needed to be willing to let God work in this person just as He worked in me. When I really was honest with myself, I knew that I was probably a real pain to others when I first came to the program. Between the fear, complaining, anger, sadness and just plain stupidity I displayed, I know I must have tried the patience of many who were reaching out to me. Now I was in a place to give back what I had received. Learning to be compassionate was not easy; but it is what I needed to provide the newcomer, just as I had been given this wonderful gift in my early recovery. Am I compassionate with others?
Meditations for the Heart
I hope that I never grow tired of prayer. It seems to me that too often I have wanted to give up praying before I received an answer. Then unexpectedly God provides an answer to the question I have bought before Him. Oftentimes I regret I do not pray more. It is surprising the way many of my prayers are answered. Oftentimes it is not what I expect, but it is always what I need. When I pray for strength, I am given the courage I need. When I pray for an answer, God lets me know in His own way what I should do. As I have prayed, I find that my trust in a Higher Power grows stronger. Prayer is a healthy habit that all addicts and alcoholics should develop. For it is in prayer that I am in communion with God. It is in prayer that I understand His will for me. It is in prayer that my spiritual life is given meaning. Do I come to my Higher Power in prayer?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Teach me to be compassionate to others in need. Help me to reach out and show patience with these individuals. Let me provide this gift to others without passing judgment, just as the gift was given to me. Strengthen me in praying faithfully to You and in seeking Your guidance.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: