View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 5

Wisdom for Today
There are really two reasons that we attend meetings. The first is obvious; we do it to stay clean and sober. Many people have tried to stay sober on their own only to fail. In fact, when I relapsed early in my recovery, I had stopped going to meetings. And just about everyone who relapses stops attending meetings prior to their relapse. We just can't do it on our own. I have found that I need to be around other recovering people in order to stay clean and sober myself. There have been times that I did not go that often, and invariably my thinking gets screwed up.
The other reason that we go to meetings is to help other people. It is in helping others that we learn more about ourselves. I'm not sure if this is God's way of keeping us awake. But on more than one occasion, as I was listening to another addict or alcoholic, I would hear them say things that directly applied to my life. Over time I have learned that one addict or alcoholic is not smarter than another; they are just individuals that have more life experience. Often times the most important lessons I have learned in recovery have come from newcomers. Even when it comes to my character defects, these newcomers can often teach me a thing or two. Yes, I still seek the advice of the old-timers because of their life experience, but even the newcomer has much to offer me. Have I recognized that I cannot stay clean and sober without the help of others?
Meditations for the Heart
Sometimes I find that I really need a change in my perspective. I know something is not right, but I'm not really sure what. I just know that I am not functioning the way I need to. I have found that one of the best ways for me to change my perspective is to stop looking at what is going on in my life and start looking to my Higher Power through eyes of faith. When I stop looking through my eyes and start looking through the eyes of faith, my whole perspective on life changes. When I look through the eyes of faith things like despair, worry, fear and weakness disappear. When I look through the eyes of faith, I find peace of mind, reassurance, strength and vital power to move forward in my life. It is through these eyes of faith that God grants serenity. It is with these eyes that I can receive His gifts. Will I look at life through eyes of faith today?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
More and more each day I see the miracle You have created in my life. My heart does not feel so heavy, and my thoughts no longer race. You have given me the tools I need for this day. You have surrounded me with others who can teach me along the way. Help me to look to You though eyes of faith, and grant me serenity in my day.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: