View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 6

Wisdom for Today
One place I continually fell short in my early recovery was looking at the positive aspects of my life. It was just too easy to get caught up in focusing on the negatives. I would complain and whine about everything in my life and not look at the fact that I through the grace of God had stayed clean and sober one more day. I was a good one for “awful-izing” in recovery. Then my sponsor told me to start a gratitude list. He told me that I needed to identify at least one thing each day for which I was grateful. This assignment did a lot to adjust my attitude about life.
I was beginning to see that just waking up without my head feeling three sizes too big was a good thing. Showing up for work on time and giving an honest day's labor was a good thing. Actually taking time to play with my children was a good thing. Showing my spouse that I valued her support and that I wanted to be a support for her was a big thing. Yes, I continued to make mistakes, and there are times when certain character defects raise their ugly head in my life, but I don’t need to focus on just the negative aspects of my life anymore. Do I practice progress, not perfection, in my life?
Meditations for the Heart
A big part of my attitude change was due in large part to an underlying belief that better things would come. I had heard the “promises” read at meetings, and I began to believe that these things could and would happen for me if I stayed clean and sober. I began to see how my Higher Power was looking out for me and that He was working to change my sorrow into joy. I began to genuinely laugh again. I began to look at my whole life differently. I no longer perceived myself as a real loser. I didn’t have to walk around covered with shame. I began to see my life and myself differently, but most of all I began to see God differently. I no longer saw God as a punishing judge, but as a friend - a friend who was willing to point out my shortcomings and show me how to overcome them. I could make changes with His help. Do I believe the promises of recovery are available to me?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Too often I take life for granted. Every day You give me breath, and everyday You show me how to remain clean and sober. So much of my life in recovery is filled with good things that I sometimes overlook these events and just focus on the negative aspects of my day. Help me this day to celebrate the good that is so much a part of my life. Help me to remember how it is that these events occur and remain grateful for each gift I receive from You.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: