View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 7

Wisdom for Today
Fellowship is such an important part of the program for me. In developing relationships and true friendships with other addicts and alcoholics in recovery, I also was developing a support system. There was a group of people I could fall back on, and they would lift me up. Sometimes I would go for months and even years where everything seemed to go along pretty smoothly. Then some event would occur that seemed to turn my life upside down. Some of these events were consequences of my addiction that did not occur until long after I sobered up. I was still paying the price for my behaviors when using drugs and alcohol even though I had stopped using. Sometimes these events were just a part of life – looking for a new job, a death in the family, illness or other losses.
Regardless of the cause, these events had a way of stealing my serenity. I needed a group of people I could fall back on and trust that they would lift me back up. The fellowship provided that safety net for me. And not just for me! I have seen everyone I know in the program have to deal with complicating factors and life transitions in their recovery process. Those people who had a safety net fared much better. This did not mean that these times were not painful or cause sadness or anger. These events often were scary; but with the help of others willing to pick me up, I could get back on track more quickly. I didn’t need to go off the deep end. Do I have a safety net?
Meditations for the Heart
Another Bible story I really like is the story of two men, one who built his house on the sand and another who built his house on the rock. When the storms came, the man who had built his house on the sand watched as all his hard work crumbled. The man who had built his house on the rock had his work weather the storm without damage. In working the program, I was asked to search for this rock before I started to build my house. This rock for me has been my Higher Power, my sponsor and my home group. Finding this rock took some time; but looking back, I am really glad that I did not take the “easier, softer way.” I have watched those people who built their recovery home on the sand. Eventually, they find out that “half measures avail them nothing.” Is my recovery built on a rock?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Encourage me to build my house on solid rock and develop strong relationships with others in the program. Let me do the maintenance work on my house so that it stands strong against the wind and rain of life. You have the blueprints for this house. Let me follow Your plans so that I rest assured that the house I build in recovery can and will stand even against the most severe storm.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: