View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 9

Wisdom for Today
Sometimes in my work with addicts and alcoholics, I hear them say they don’t get anything out of a meeting. I ask them, “Well, what did you put into it?” One thing the program has taught me is the importance of sharing. When I was drinking and using, I really didn’t share much of anything about myself. The reasons for this were many. Often times I didn’t share simply because I was so out of touch with what was going on inside of me that I had nothing to share. Other times it was because I was too ashamed to talk about what was happening in my life. Sometimes resentment or judging others got in the way. Probably one of the main reasons I didn’t share with others was simply because of my self-centeredness and selfishness. Even though family and my using buddies surrounded me, I was lonely.

When I listen to addicts and alcoholics at meetings, we all have our own way of screaming. As we share, we release many of the frustrations, fears, sadness, pain and other difficulties we face in our lives. We also share what has worked for us. We share what quiets our screaming. What has amazed me about my sharing at meetings is what I get back in return. By telling my story, sharing my experience, strengths and hope, I find that the compulsion to drink or use is removed. I find that I gain new clarity and insight into what I need to change. I find that the problems of my life don’t seem so big. I find that I am not alone. I find that I gain an inner peace. It is in giving of myself that I receive these things. Am I sharing in meetings?
Meditations for the Heart
As I shared my story, I found that the road to recovery straightened out. It no longer had as many twists and turns. My character was being developed in this process. God knew that I needed to share. He knew I needed to unload the garbage of my life. Through obedience to His vision and openly sharing, my path was made straight. I still experience some bumps along my journey, but this is always because I loose sight of God’s vision and will for me. But even these bumps along the way teach me to return to the basics. I need to go back to meetings and share what is going on. I needed to go back to the steps and once again turn over my will and my life to God’s care. I also need to share my life struggles in prayer. In this quiet communion with my Higher Power, I am shown the way to get back on the path and continue my journey of recovery. Do I share my struggles in prayer?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

I must stop along the path of recovery today and thank You for all that I receive by sharing my story, my struggles and my hopes. I know that these gifts are from You and that they are not something I earn. They are simply gifts I receive from You because of my participation in the program You have led me to. Help me this day to keep an open mind and to be obedient to Your divine vision.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: