View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 12

Wisdom for Today
I can remember when I thought I was really unique. I thought I was different and believed that I was not like all "those people" I knew that were "real" alcoholics and addicts. I wasn't like them. I was different. I could control it. I had more willpower. Even when the disease had finally whipped me, I continued to think I was unique. I thought that my problems were worse than others. I thought that no one could possibly understand what I had been through; and even if they could, there was no way they could help me face my unique set of problems. I was suffering with terminal uniqueness.
In recovery I slowly learned that I was not unique. I was no different than every other addict and alcoholic. I struggled with the same disease and the same recovery process. As I began to work through the steps, most of my terminal uniqueness disappeared - with one exception. As an alcoholic and addict I have a unique ability to be useful to others who are in the same boat as I am. I can share my experience, strength and hope with others. This makes me uniquely useful. Twelve Step groups are made up of individuals who are uniquely capable of helping each other. I can take my greatest failures and defeats and use them to help others. Can I see that being someone who has been through active addiction puts me in a unique spot to help others?
Meditations for the Heart
Practice does not make one perfect; it just makes them better. I will never in this life be able to have a perfect relationship with my Higher Power, but practice can make my relationship with God better. Through prayer and meditation I can feel the presence of God. I can experience Him strengthening, protecting and leading me. In every joy I can celebrate His presence and reach out to Him with a grateful heart. In every struggle I can reach out and ask for His help. I can share my fear, frustration, loneliness or anything that is bothering me. I do not need to carry the burden by myself. I try to live life as if God were standing beside me in all that I do. I do not do this perfectly; none of us can. But it is something that can be practiced; and as it is practiced, I find that I get better. Recovery is not about getting well, but it is about getting better. Each year on my anniversary I want to look back and see that I am better than the year before. Do I practice my spiritual relationship with my Higher Power each day?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
It is good to not struggle with terminal uniqueness anymore. Help me to use my unique perspectives of life to reach out to others. Let me walk with You by my side today and practice my relationship with You. Keep leading me in each step that I take on this journey of recovery. Help me to show others the way that leads to You.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: