Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Welcome Deker, personally, I was in denial about being an alcoholic, although I knew I was an addict. I went too AA for my denial. Going back to where I came from was not an option. I was introduced to AA when I went into rehab, although I had been to a meeting before, and was in total denial. It would have been good for my dad and my ex-husband, but they were no longer in my life, so I didn't need it. Wrong! I needed AA and Al-Anon. I am also an adult child of an alcoholic and have an eating disorder. The 12 Steps work in my life and in today I know I am an alcoholic. It was the thinking behind the drinking that got me in trouble.

I did what they suggested. I got a sponsor, a home group, got active in my group, and went to other meetings. They suggested 90 meetings in 90 days. I was no longer employable, so me alone with me was not good, so I went to 2 meetings a day and 3 if I could get a ride. I found people doing what I couldn't do for 8 years. I made a decision that alcohol and men were the problems in my life. I could stop, but couldn't stay stopped. When I went to the rooms of recovery, I saw people with days, months, even years clean and sober. AA worked for me, inspite of myself. I had to get out of the way and allow the program to work. If you work for it, it will work for you. It is not a quit fix. It is a process and is done one day at a time. Alcoholism is a disease. An obsession of the mind and an allergy of the body. We don't metabolize alcohol like ordinary people do.

There is a lot of recovery material here. You can't beat a face to face meeting. Find a sponsor, someone who has what you want. Someone you can relate to and feel comfortable sharing with. You are not alone. Keep coming, so you don't have to come back.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote