Thread: Beginning Today
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
I will dare to be myself. I may be tempted to paste a smile on my face even though I am angry, in order to please another person. When turning down an invitation, I may want to make excuses so that nobody will be hurt. I may be inclined to cancel plans that I care about, without protest, because a loved one prefers to stay home and I don't want to make waves. These may be perfectly acceptable choices, and I may opt for any or all of them. But today I will be honest with myself as I do so--I will not pretend to feel what I do not feel or to want what I do not want.

Al-Anon does not tell me how to behave. It doesn't legislate right or wrong choices. But AI-Anon does encourage me to look searchingly and fearlessly at myself, my feelings, motives, and actions. I can only learn to love myself if I am willing to learn who I am.

Today's Reminder
I have a right to want what I want and to feel the way I feel. I may not choose to act on those feelings or desires, but I won't hide them from myself They are part of me.

"This above all: to thine own self be true."
William Shakespeare
From Courage to Change.

The program is one of suggestions, but there are darn well betters, or you will find yourself, back where you came from. Personally, I never wanted to go back there.

One day at a time, I will work the program and ask for the courage to change, and give myself the opportunity to recover from my disease. We have a family disease and it affects everyone around us, not just the As in our life.

The 12 Steps work for everyone and in all areas of our recovery. I am an Adult Child of an alcoholic father and an addicted mother. I became an alcoholic and an addict. Just for today, I choose not to use.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote