View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, March 12, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Nourishment or Drug?

During our overeating days, many of us used food as an all purpose drug. It was a pep pill when we were depressed and a tranquilizer when we were uptight. We turned especially to refined carbohydrates as uppers and downers. As a result, we spent most of our time either artificially stimulated or lethargic.

When we stop using food as a drug and eat only what our bodies need for proper nourishment, we experience emotions which had been buried by overeating. We feel anxiety, fear, and anger. We also feel joy, enthusiasm, and love. We are alive instead of doped up.

We need to express and share our emotions, and in OA we find people who will help us do that. We no longer have to bury our true feelings with food. As we learn to rely on our Higher Power for support in the little things that come up as well as the big things, then we are able to face the day without a drug.

By abstaining, we learn who we really are and what we really feel.

May I not be afraid to live without a drug.
For me it was about identifying that I was using food as a drug, an escape, and a way to cope with my feelings. The coping meant stuffing them so I didn`t have to feel them or deal with them. I could not recovery, until I looked at ALL aspects of my dis-ease.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote