View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Most people know who have been around the rooms for a while that H.A.L.T. means Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired.

What I tend to forget is that I need to work this slogan on all areas of my disease.

My disease is also four-fold. It is mental, emotional, spiritual and physical.

I need to make sure that I get food for the body, mind and spirit.

We think of recovering from our disease as mostly physical. We want to feel better. Yet in turn, our emotional and spiritual malady can make itself known physically.

I am reminded that anger corrodes the soul. Loneliness is part of isolation and part of my disease not my recovery. Tired is generally lack of 'food' and often a complacency which allows us to get in a rut or stand on what we have done in our recovery, not recognizing that this is a 24 hour a day program, not a 2-4 hour a day program.

I may want to take a holiday and yet my disease is always there waiting for me to put a HALT to my recovery. When I do that, the stinking thinking comes in and little substitutions come in and cloud my vision.

We do recover from that hopeless state of mind and body. We need to maintain our recovery, with Steps 10, 11, & 12.

When I become lax or when that stinking thinkings brings some thoughts of yesterday into today, I need to go back and do Steps 4-9. Every morning is a Step 1,2,3, Waltz.

This is a one day at a time program. I need to HALT and check to see where I am at in my recovery. Do I need to apply H.A.L.T. to my program in today?
A good reminder originally posted in 2010, it is a one day at a time program. It doesn`t matter what substance I chose to use, it is the thinking behind why I choose to pick it up. H.A.L.T. can help me not get to a place where I can say yeah or nay! and make a healthy choice.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote