View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 16

Wisdom for Today
I paid my dues for membership in the program through my years of addictive using. But these are the dues only for membership. In recovery I still need to do my part and accept the responsibilities that come with working the program and following its principles. I am part of a much bigger whole, but I am still only one person. The program provides me with the principles I need to discover the life that is hidden inside of me, the life that my Higher Power wants me to live. I still have to walk the walk. I am given privileges in the program as I get more clean time under my belt. It becomes my responsibility to share in the work of the program.
I remember my first responsibility given to me. My sponsor told me to clean up after the meetings. My first reaction was, "Am I the maid?" I did not say this out loud, but complained in my head the whole time. Looking back now, I can see that it was good for me to do this service. I learned about humility. I learned about acceptance. I learned about responsibility. Later I was asked to chair a meeting or give a lead for the topic of discussion. Eventually I was asked to become a general service representative and even asked to plan a presentation for a recovery retreat. Each time I have been asked to serve, I have learned more about myself. I have learned more about what makes the fellowship work. I continue to pay my dues through service. Am I willing to serve and give back what I have been given?
Meditations for the Heart
Gratitude is one of my greatest weapons in the war of addiction. When I find my heart filled with gratitude, I no longer have time for self-pity. There is no room in my heart for deceit when it is filled with gratitude. Gratitude leads me to praise God for all that He has done for me, and it compels me to be of service to others. Gratitude also has a way of creating a strong sense of security in recovery. Gratitude changes my perspective on life, and I begin to see all the little things in life that happen as a part of God's plan for me. Gratitude helps me to discover the life that is inside of me. It leads me to a place of serenity and peace of mind. Gratitude helps me eliminate unrealistic expectations and accept the gifts that are provided to me in abundance. Do I have a grateful heart?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Teach me to be of service to others, so that I might also learn more about me. Help me to see all the gifts that I can receive through a life of service to others. Let me not be obsessed with material things and focus more on the spiritual things that will last. Let me find all the gifts that You provide along this journey and be filled with gratitude.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links