View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 21

Wisdom for Today

When I first walked through the doors of a meeting to get sober, I had only one question on my mind, "Alright, so what do I need to do to stop drinking and drugging?" I had no idea how to do this and even less of an idea of where I would find the strength to do it. I was too afraid to ask this question out loud, but somehow knew the answer was in that room. As I looked around, I saw the faces of older members who had found the answer to my question. Where did they get the answer? I listened to members speak one after another and heard strength in their voices. Where did the strength come from?

What did I have to do to get what they had? At the end of the meeting, everyone chimed in, "It works if you work it; keep coming back." And so I did -- kept coming back, that is. Slowly I began to realize that the source of strength that each of these older members had come in different ways. Some talked of the words of wisdom that their sponsor shared. Others talked of the steps, and still others talked of the gift that had been given them by their Higher Power. As days went by, I soon discovered that this strength I was seeking comes in many ways. I needed to find what worked for me. Now that I have a few 24 hours under my belt, I can see that the strength comes from the same source. It just takes on lots of different faces. To quote the Big Book, "That one is God; may you find Him now." Do I see all the faces of God at meetings?

Meditations of the Heart

What needs do I have that God cannot fill? God can and does supply all our needs. The fundamental needs of an addict or alcoholic are spiritual. We can do nothing without the help of a Higher Power. Yes, over time in recovery we regain our health, perhaps our families and jobs, our freedom and even a sense of self-esteem. But none of these things are as important as our spiritual well being. When I can take what I have learned and give it away, then I am in a good place to receive what God has in His plans for me. Through this simple act - caring for others, we learn how to care for ourselves. Through sharing our struggles, defeats and triumphs, we gain strength. It is selfish. I do this to help myself. Yet in this selfishness, I help others. In gaining strength, I can do more for my family. I can be a better worker, and I can be a better person. And so it goes, the supply of my spiritual needs is met. God plans it that way. Am I willing to help others in order to help myself?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
Every day I have needs, and every day You show me how to fill them. I do not always get what I want, but I trust that You know what I need. Help me to use the strength I receive to share with and care about others. Let me follow You on the road to spiritual health.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: