View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 25

Wisdom for Today

Strength comes from giving it away. I remember very early in my recovery process, I told my sponsor I wanted to help others. It was as if I was on fire to give away what I was receiving. Fortunately my sponsor very quietly told me to hang onto that feeling and save it for later. He knew that this fire inside of me could easily be extinguished. I did what my sponsor told me to do. I saved it for later and continued to concentrate on myself. Some time later I was at a meeting, and a newcomer walked in. My sponsor winked at me and told me to go and welcome him. I offered the newcomer a cup of coffee and proceeded to tell him about the time when I first came to a meeting. I could see he was scared, but what surprised me was that I could see myself in his eyes.

That night I learned a very important lesson. I learned that as I was trying to help this newcomer, my resolve to stay clean and sober grew stronger. I realized for the first time that I had something that I did not want to lose. The newcomer kept coming back for several weeks, and then I never saw him again. At first I worried about him. I talked with my sponsor, feeling as though I had failed. Again there were words of wisdom that came from my sponsor's mouth. He said, "You are only responsible for carrying the message; you can't carry the other guy." He was right again and again. I learned that in helping others I am really helping myself. For the first time I think I really understood what the fellowship is really all about. We help others to help ourselves. Am I finding renewed strength by reaching out to help others?

Meditations for the Heart

Faith is a narrow path between God and you. This path only exists because God wants it there. Sometimes I have wondered why this path is so narrow. It is so easy to wander away from the path. I cannot explain why God wants the path this way. If I had all these answers, I would not need faith. And so I trust that God knows what He is doing. So my faith requires me to stay focused on this narrow path, so that I can maintain this walk with my Higher Power. In some ways it is not so different from when I was getting drunk or was using drugs. I had a singleness of vision. All I wanted then was to get high. It was a very narrow path. It is much the same now. All I want is a relationship with my Higher Power. So I walk a narrow path. Do I keep my vision on my relationship with God, as I understand Him?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
Each day You present me with new opportunities to build up my faith and renew my strength. When the time is right, lead me on a path to helping newcomers. Help me to keep my focus on the narrow path and walk hand in hand with You today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: