View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:14 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 27

Wisdom for Today

When I first walked through the doors of a meeting, I thought that is all it was - a meeting. What I didn't realize was that what I was really walking into was a new way of life. At first I simply thought I would learn how to stop my active addiction and that would be it. But it didn't take long to figure out that this was just the beginning. Today I am amazed at the changes I see happen in the lives of the people who adopt this way of living. Every so often I stop long enough to look at myself and see the changes that have happened in my life because of this program.

As I look back, I can see just how selfish I had become. Everything revolved around me and my desires. If things weren't going my way I would con and manipulate to get what I wanted. When my way didn't work, I would get mad; or I would throw a temper tantrum. I acted just like a child. I would even isolate and sulk when nothing else would work. Just like a spoiled child, I had to have things my way. Sometimes my actions were very visible to those around me. I hurt a lot of people along the way. At other times I was sneakier, but always the goal was the same - to get things my way. Have I stopped trying to run the show my way?

Meditations for the Heart

As I began to let go of my old way of thinking and began to adopt a new way of life, I felt like I was missing something. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but soon realized that what I was missing was confidence. Then my sponsor told me that confidence is simply faith in that which is not seen. He asked me if I believed in a million dollars. I told him that I knew it existed. Then he asked me if I had ever seen a million dollars or held it in my hand. I, of course, said, “No.” My sponsor responded, "But you believe in it even though you have never seen it." He went on to tell me that I could have all the confidence I ever wanted if I only believed in a Higher Power, who would provide me that confidence. He was right, because as I started to believe that I could have this gift, I indeed received it. My sponsor then cautioned me, you could only keep this confidence if you are willing to obey the directions of your Higher Power. A confidant faith and a willingness to follow my Higher Power has indeed created change in my life. Do I see that all successful living only happens in and with my Higher Power?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
I pray that I may follow Your lead along this path of recovery. Let me walk with You hand in hand each step of the way. Continue to provide me with confidence, as I still need it. Help me to remember always where this confidence comes from, and grant me willingness to obey Your will for me.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: