View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saturday, July 12, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Growing Up

There is no magic. Nothing - be it person, place, or thing - is going to give us instant and permanent gratification. We keep thinking in the back of our mind that there is some way we can manipulate life into granting us all of our desires, even when they contradict each other.

When we seriously and with honest effort work our way through the Twelve Steps, we begin to grow up emotionally and spiritually. Abstinence from compulsive overeating makes this growth possible. It is not easy, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Acceptance and renunciation are necessary if we are to live with satisfaction in the real world. Grandiose illusions are of no help. We come to understand that certain foods, emotions, and attitudes are not for us if we are to maintain our sanity.

There is no magic, but there is a Power greater than ourselves. Who is directing our growth.

Grant me the willingness to grow up.
This is something I didn't want. I had a lot of adult responsibility and a lot of it wasn't mine and I wanted to enjoy some of the childhood I missed.

A part of that growth was changing the old patterns and behaviours that affected me in today and break the habits, a lot of which were a result of my addiction.

It was that hunger and void within me that I wanted to fill and it could only be filled with spiritual things to make the pain go away.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote