MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today
April 23
A God Of Our Own Understanding

“Many of us understand God to be simply whatever force keeps us clean.”
Basic Text, p. 25

Some of us enter recovery with a working understanding of a Higher Power. For a lot of us, however, “God” is a troublesome word. We may doubt the existence of any sort of Power greater than ourselves. Or we may remember uncomfortable experiences with religion and shy away from “the God stuff.”

Starting over in recovery means we can start over in our spiritual life, too. If we’re not comfortable with what we learned when we were growing up, we can try a different approach to our spirituality. We don’t have to understand everything all at once or find the answers to all our questions right away. Sometimes it’s enough just to know that other NA members believe and that their belief helps keep them clean.

Just for today: All I have to know right now about my Higher Power is that it is the Power that helps keep me clean.
This reminds me of what a friend shared at a meeting many years ago. I came to recovery, I came to, and I came to believe that the program would work for me.

The God or the Higher Power is something that we each need to find for ourselves. I firmly believe it is a personal thing, something we each need to do for ourselves. I was raised in the church. I had to come to a new understanding and build a new relationship with God. For most of my life I walked in fear and felt that the wrath of God would strike me down any time. I had to find the Love of God. I had to find that I was lovable.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote