MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default NA JFT - May 2014

Quote:
May 1

Self-Worth And Service

"Being involved in service makes me feel worthwhile."

Basic Text, p. 212

When most of us arrived in Narcotics Anonymous, we had very little self-worth left to salvage. Many members say that they began to develop self-esteem through being of service early in their recovery. Something just short of a miracle occurs when we begin to have a positive impact on others' lives through our service efforts.

Most of us don't have a lot of experience, strength, or hope to share at thirty days clean. In fact, some members will tell us in no uncertain terms that what we can do best is listen. But at thirty days, we do offer something to that addict just coming into the rooms of NA, struggling to get twenty-four hours clean. The very newest NA member, the one with only the desire to stop using and none of the tools, can hardly imagine anyone staying clean for a year, or two years, or ten. But he or she can relate to those people with thirty days clean, picking up a keytag with a look of pride and disbelief emblazoned on their faces.

Service is something that is our unique gift—something that no one can take away from us. We give, and we get. Through service, many of us start on the sometimes long road back to becoming productive members of society.

Just for today: I will be grateful for the opportunity to be of service.
Don't believe that I would be clean and sober today, if it wasn't for service. It gave me purpose in my life. I started in my home group and at two years of sobriety, I was able to go into treatment houses, detox, and the jail. From there I went into the community work at the Internet Cafe, Tennet Assoc., and Hamilton Housing Projects (my landlord).

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links