Thread: Step Three
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fortunately, we who have tried it, and with equal misgivings, can testify that anyone, anyone at all, can begin to do it. We can further add that a beginning, even the smallest, is all that is needed. Once we have placed the key of willingness in the lock and have the door ever so slightly open, we find that we can always open it some more. Though self-will may slam it shut again, as it frequently does, it will always respond the moment we again pick up the key of willingness.
Willingness is the key to this step. Often I had to pray for the willingness to be willing. Lack of patience and intolerance can shut that door and because I want everything yesterday, I take steps before true direction is there. I was told by a spiritual adviser that if there is doubt and you can't seem to have clear vision as to what to do, then stop and don't. The timing isn't right.

When the timing is right, you will know. God meets my needs, sometimes my wants and desires too.

Quote:
We saw that we were powerless over alcohol, but we also perceived that faith of some kind, if only in A.A. itself, is possible to anyone. These conclusions did not require action; they required only acceptance.
Like all the remaining Steps, Step Three calls for affirmative action, for it is only by action that we can cut away the self-will which has always blocked the entry of God--or, if you like, a Higher Power--into our lives. Faith, to be sure, is necessary, but faith alone can avail nothing. We can have faith, yet keep God out of our lives.
Again, the Step One, Two, Three Waltz. The beginning of moving forward and using the program to heal and to recover. I stayed sober on the first three Steps, I obtained Sobriety on Steps Four to Nine, and maintain my Sobriety on Steps Ten to Twelve.

[QUOTE]Every time I go through a change, I need to go back to Step One and begin a new process with each new awareness. As I grow in awareness and my perception became clearer, I recognize old tapes and old habits that have continued to cling on too that I need to let go. Time is a great healer. I didn't get sick overnight, I don't heal overnight. The program promises me that I will get better if I rightly apply myself to the program.

Just for today, I choose to stay clean and sober.

Just for today, I choose to ask for daily guidance and direction I need to live free from the bondage of self and addiction.

Just for today, I will be the best me I can be!

Quote:
Struggling with a decision?

"You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to
do so. For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind."

-- Dale Carnegie

My anxiety level spiked the other day as I wrestled with whether to
choose option A or option B. I was so afraid of making the wrong choice!

And then I remembered, with deep gratitude, Susan Jeffers’ sage advice:
There are no wrong decisions! Whatever we might choose in life will
bring valuable experiences if we are open to receive them.

“Lighten up! Whatever happens as a result of your decision, you’ll
handle it!”

-- Susan Jeffers
All Step Three asks of us is to make a decision. For me, it was a decision to stay in recovery and work the rest of the Steps, and be accepting of the program.

I came, I came to, I came to believe....

Decision making was always difficult. Of course, I even made it more so. Those old tapes can be killers and stop me from moving forward with my life. i.e. Who are you to know? What makes you think your thoughts matter? If you weren't so stupid....!

I am sure you can all add to the list. I was told in early recovery that I needed to make new tapes. I was the one who pushed the play button, I could also make the decision to stop!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote