View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

October 7

Real Alcoholic
But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker;
he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career
he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 21

Thought to Ponder
If you think you are an alcoholic, chances are you are.

AA-related 'Alconym'
T H I N K = Thank Heavens, I Now Know.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Gratitude
"Another exercise that I practice is to try for a
full inventory of my blessings and then
for a right acceptance of the many gifts that are mine --
both temporal and spiritual. . .
I try to hold fast to the truth that a full and thankful heart
cannot entertain great conceits.
When brimming with gratitude,
one's heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love,
the finest emotion that we can ever know." FONT face=Georgia>
Bill. W., March 1962
c.1988AAGrapevine, The Language of the Heart, p. 271

Thought to Consider . . .
I have learned what a heart full of gratitude feels like.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
H J F = Happy, Joyous, and Free

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Best of Intentions
Step Eleven: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
Of course, it is reasonable and understandable that the question is often asked: "Why can't we take a specific and troubling dilemma straight to God, and in prayer secure from Him sure and definite answers to our requests?"
This can be done, but it has hazards. We have seen AAs ask with much earnestness and faith for God's explicit guidance on matters ranging all the way from a shattering domestic or financial crisis to correcting a minor personal fault, like tardiness. Quite often, however, the thoughts that seem to come from God are not answers at all. They prove to be well-intentioned unconscious rationalizations. The AA, or indeed any man, who tries to run his life rigidly by this kind of prayer, by this self-serving demand of God for replies, is a particularly disconcerting individual. To any questioning or criticism of his actions he instantly proffers his reliance upon prayer for guidance in all matters great or small. He may have forgotten the possibility that his own wishful thinking and the human tendency to rationalize have distorted his so-called guidance. With the best of intentions, he tends to force his own will into all sorts of situations and problems with the comfortable assurance that he is acting under God's specific direction. Under such an illusion, he can of course create great havoc without in the least intending it.
1981, AAWS, Inc., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pages 103-104

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~ *

"Through doing the Steps and receiving love from my AA family, my perception of life has changed. Once my thoughts changed, so did
my actions, then, finally, the results."
Susanville, Calif., December 2007
"A Craving to Live,"
AA Grapevine

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in
a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!"
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 100

"It is our great hope that all those who have as yet found no answer may begin to find one in the pages of this book and will presently join us on the highroad to a new freedom."
Alcoholics Anonymous p.xxi

We thank God from the bottom of our heart that we know Him better.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p.75

Having so considered our day, not omitting to take due note of things well done, and having searched our hearts with neither fear nor favor, we can truly thank God for the blessings we have received and sleep in good conscience.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 95

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all. Our experience shows that this is not necessarily so.
We meet these conditions every day. An alcoholic who cannot meet them still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland icecap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of Scotch and ruin everything!

Prayer for the Day: The Way - Dear Lord, Today I pray: The way is long Let us go together. The way is difficult Let us help each other. The way is joyful Let us share it. The way is ours alone Let us go in love. The way grows before us Let us begin.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote